Turn on thread page Beta

£2000 fine for downloading illegally. is this common- what usually happens? help!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i recently heard a story about somebody getting a £2000 fine for downloading a videogame illegally.
    as a result, i'm quite worried about downloading music and videos online. does anybody know of the penalty for this, or the most anybody has had for it?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The penalty is around a £2000 fine I heard..

ReputationRep:
    As far as i know it is very rare (and can be larger than that). Of course it is a risk - downloading copyrighted material is illegal.

They pick out random people and fine them, just to scare everyone (like you).

ReputationRep:
    How do they find out?

ReputationRep:
    It was in the news because being punished for such a crime is a rare occurrence.

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me that his friend got fined £1,000 for illegally downloading a video game!

His parents coughed up...

ReputationRep:
    £2000? That's better than the horror stories I've read about the RIAA trying to take people for thousands per song.

ReputationRep:
    It usually starts with the Police picking their victim randomly, they then bust your door at 4 am and drag you out and arrest you all this happening in a space of 3 minutes. Hope that helps =).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Dark Side)
    How do they find out?
    It was in the news recently that ISPs such as BT and Virgin are dobbing in their own customers for torrent use, but the most i've heard happening is them being sent warning letters about a "3 strike policy" or whatever.

Unfortunatly for me, I'm with Virgin, and I'm currently downloading right now. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I heard some story that a girl in America got fined millions of dollars for downloading pop music. Obviously she couldnt afford it but they didnt put her in prison or anything. Its all a load of bull really. Usually the police fine the person that uploaded the content and shared it. If you're worried about 'illegally' downloading music, films and games, just download from a link from a country domain where its legal - try Sweden. Or else stream films. Dont be put off getting stuff for free- its the way it should be- share the love

ReputationRep:
    Do not fear. They only punish 1 in 100 000. Odds are on your side.

ReputationRep:
    Look on the pirate bay. It'll put the threat into perspective.
    They have loads of people who got sent letters telling them they had to pay a fine or theyd be sent to court. Anyone who refused to pay, nothing happened to them and they never heard from them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    It was in the news recently that ISPs such as BT and Virgin are dobbing in their own customers for torrent use, but the most i've heard happening is them being sent warning letters about a "3 strike policy" or whatever.

Unfortunatly for me, I'm with Virgin, and I'm currently downloading right now. :ninja:
    Sort of. The people looking for people breaking the copyright can see traces left on certain websites, then they contact the ISP with the information they gathered and the ISP looks it up in their database to find out who it was.

ReputationRep:
    i use online sharing sites, are they illegal as well? i mean it's not like limewire where it's peer 2 peer sharing? is it?

ReputationRep:
    sounds right,

alternatively you could just not download illegally :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raef)
    i use online sharing sites, are they illegal as well? i mean it's not like limewire where it's peer 2 peer sharing? is it?
    Yes. Unless you are downloading things that are in the public domain, i.e. not copyrighted. But that's unlikely.

Generally speaking, if it's something that normally costs money and you are getting it for free, it's illegal.

ReputationRep:
    one of my mates got a letter through the post, and he opened it, saw what it was, he sealed it back up and said "not known at this address, return to sender". I lmfao'ed so hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentin007)
    I heard some story that a girl in America got fined millions of dollars for downloading pop music. Obviously she couldnt afford it but they didnt put her in prison or anything. Its all a load of bull really. Usually the police fine the person that uploaded the content and shared it. If you're worried about 'illegally' downloading music, films and games, just download from a link from a country domain where its legal - try Sweden. Or else stream films. Dont be put off getting stuff for free- its the way it should be- share the love
    Ah, The Pirate Bay me hearties!

ReputationRep:
    Its true. My brothers freind got taken to court. They have fake sites where you can download games, and they get your ip adress and can take you to court for downloading the game illegally.

ReputationRep:
    2 guys at my dads work were caught and fined £3000 each. One of my friends also got a warning, and that was one of his first few times dowloading off limewire.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.