localworms
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi! Ive applied to Herts, AUB, South Wales, Farnham and Bristol, in my portfolio so far I have a quite a few life drawings but the majority of them are very linear, (eg. one line, marker pen, ill include some links if I can figure out how) and I have 2 or 3 shaded ones. My shaded life drawings aren't finished and I don't have access to anymore life drawing sessions before my interviews. Am I going to be okay if I do have a portfolio interview?

(there isn't any of my character design drawings on there yet but
https://jaytrrnt.wixsite.com/atthetrees/portfolio)

thanks
localworms
Rep:
?
(Original post by localworms)
hi! Ive applied to Herts, AUB, South Wales, Farnham and Bristol, in my portfolio so far I have a quite a few life drawings but the majority of them are very linear, (eg. one line, marker pen, ill include some links if I can figure out how) and I have 2 or 3 shaded ones. My shaded life drawings aren't finished and I don't have access to anymore life drawing sessions before my interviews. Am I going to be okay if I do have a portfolio interview?

thanks
Bare In mind my portfolio isn’t finished yet! I just chucked everything I have completed so far on my website.

Any criticism is welcome though 🥺
RBudzinska
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve applied for all the same except for Bristol, so hoping on to see replies! Good luck with your interviews btw!
localworms
Rep:
?
(Original post by RBudzinska)
I’ve applied for all the same except for Bristol, so hoping on to see replies! Good luck with your interviews btw!
You too!
Saphie B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

thanks
Hiya again! Thought I'd check out your portfolio

I'd like to offer some advice on your question about life drawings. What you have so far is definitely a good start, and I would definitely consider keeping your more developed ones (though personally, I think the vast majority of them are good!) for portfolio interviews. In my experience it is typical that universities will favour quality over quantity, so it is not imperative that you have a tonne of life drawing work; most interviewers will be more impressed by a small amount of stunning drawings than a large amount of mediocre ones. However, unless it will cut into time you need to spend developing other parts of your portfolio, I feel it would benefit you to use "Croquis Cafe"'s videos (on Vimeo) to add some more high quality examples to quell any doubts that you are putting in 'too little'. These are not as beneficial as a live life drawing session but they are still very useful. If I were to name a decent amount (taking into consideration AUB and Herts' higher standards for admission) I would say 8-10 is the sweet spot but less is not a massive turn-off.

As for your environment designs, I really like the changes in lighting for the first example and the overall design is appealing. I would definitely add more like this, but obviously with more varied surroundings (an urban area may be a good start as it allows you to think more about perspective).
I also like your drawing of a room and use of 2 point perspective; this is something that again I would definitely add more of as solid environment drawing skills are imperative in a lot of 2D animation courses.

I like the stop motion example in your reel, and overall honestly I think you have a very good start with it. I would perhaps consider going back to the first animation and adding in some more inbetween frames as I think this would be a really satisfying animation if it was smoothed out. I would suggest you develop a walking and running cycle to put in this reel, as well as some more animations showing off your knowledge of the principles of animation (like the squash and stretch animation). As an aside, if you decide on AUB or Herts you may want to practise using Toon Boom or Adobe Animate (if able) before September as these are industry standard animation software and what you will likely be expected to work with both in university and in your career moving forward.

It would be really nice to see some character design when you are able to add it, but for now I think that's all I've got to suggest
localworms
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saphie B)
Hiya again! Thought I'd check out your portfolio

I'd like to offer some advice on your question about life drawings. What you have so far is definitely a good start, and I would definitely consider keeping your more developed ones (though personally, I think the vast majority of them are good!) for portfolio interviews. In my experience it is typical that universities will favour quality over quantity, so it is not imperative that you have a tonne of life drawing work; most interviewers will be more impressed by a small amount of stunning drawings than a large amount of mediocre ones. However, unless it will cut into time you need to spend developing other parts of your portfolio, I feel it would benefit you to use "Croquis Cafe"'s videos (on Vimeo) to add some more high quality examples to quell any doubts that you are putting in 'too little'. These are not as beneficial as a live life drawing session but they are still very useful. If I were to name a decent amount (taking into consideration AUB and Herts' higher standards for admission) I would say 8-10 is the sweet spot but less is not a massive turn-off.

As for your environment designs, I really like the changes in lighting for the first example and the overall design is appealing. I would definitely add more like this, but obviously with more varied surroundings (an urban area may be a good start as it allows you to think more about perspective).
I also like your drawing of a room and use of 2 point perspective; this is something that again I would definitely add more of as solid environment drawing skills are imperative in a lot of 2D animation courses.

I like the stop motion example in your reel, and overall honestly I think you have a very good start with it. I would perhaps consider going back to the first animation and adding in some more inbetween frames as I think this would be a really satisfying animation if it was smoothed out. I would suggest you develop a walking and running cycle to put in this reel, as well as some more animations showing off your knowledge of the principles of animation (like the squash and stretch animation). As an aside, if you decide on AUB or Herts you may want to practise using Toon Boom or Adobe Animate (if able) before September as these are industry standard animation software and what you will likely be expected to work with both in university and in your career moving forward.

It would be really nice to see some character design when you are able to add it, but for now I think that's all I've got to suggest
Thank you so much that’s given me a lot more faith in my portfolio than what I already had!!

We’re there any of my life drawings that you think would be more suited for my portfolio than others?

Thank you for the feedback though I’ll definitely work from it!
Saphie B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much that’s given me a lot more faith in my portfolio than what I already had!!

We’re there any of my life drawings that you think would be more suited for my portfolio than others?

Thank you for the feedback though I’ll definitely work from it!
Sorry for how crude this looks, I rushed it in MSPaint while working on a project
I personally feel these would be suitable!

localworms
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saphie B)
Sorry for how crude this looks, I rushed it in MSPaint while working on a project
I personally feel these would be suitable!

Thank you so much! Good luck on your project
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (184)
61.13%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.99%
No- I want it (83)
27.57%
No- I don't want it (22)