The Student Room Group

I want to join the cadets

I have decided that I wanted to join the cadet forces but I don’t know which is the best option. I want to get exercise, join a sports team and have fun. Which do you recommend??

Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, Air Cadets or the Combined Cadet force
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AkuaWA
I have decided that

Get in touch with your local units and go for a chat. That's all there is to it!
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Get in touch with your local units and go for a chat. That's all there is to it!

Ok. Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by AkuaWA
I have decided that I wanted to join the cadet forces but I don’t know which is the best option. I want to get exercise, join a sports team and have fun. Which do you recommend??

Pick the one you're most interested in. They all do basically the same things, just in different amounts.

Army cadets will do more running around in the mud.
Sea cadets will do more knots and talking about water.
Air cadets do more about planes and flying.

None are really definitively 'better' than the others, they all have different strengths.

Unless there's a CCF at your school it's unlikely you'll be able to join as they're run slightly differently.

Get on Google, find the website for each of the main organisations and find out which you've got local to you - that'll make part of your decision for you.

Then get in touch and go down with a parent one night to see what you think.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AkuaWA

Hi

As already advised, they'll all have website with information, they'll all have units local to you. Go along to an evening for each one and make your decision based on what they can offer you for what you want to do.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 5
All of them do sports so you are good from that perspective. CCF is a bit more limiting than the others, so I would only go to that if it is the only one convenient geographically.

Each cadet force has a core theme:

SCC (Sea Cadets) - Boats / Sailing

ACF (Army Cadets) - Fieldcraft / Shooting

ATC (Air Cadets) - Planes / Flying

Which interests you more? You need to pick the right one or you will be disappointed. Someone will come along and say "join X because they do everything the others do and also do this" but that isn't really true. There are only so many hours in the day and logically they can't do all the activities that the other does to the same extent. I am an ACF instructor who has also worked with the ATC. I can show you an online "poster"/"brochure" for the ACF if you want, but it won't show you anything about the other cadet forces as that isn't my job. :biggrin:

All that said, the units can vary, so go along and judge for yourself.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest