Colorectal?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My mum had a colonoscopy, they said she may have Crohns and she's been referred to the Gastroenterology Inflammatory Bowel Disease department. But she's recently got a referral for the Colorectal department for a separate appointment. She contacted the booking team who told her to ask the consultant at her first appointment (the Gastroenterology one). She's searched it up and both departments deal with bowel diseases, but Colorectal deal also with cancer. So we are now worried she has cancer. Why else would she see two different departments about the same disease if both departments deal with treating Crohns? Does this mean she has cancer because they haven't told us anything and she had to ring up after getting her Gastroenterology appointment to ask why she was referred and what her results were. No one rang or sent a letter about her Crohns until she rang to ask what was found.

Can anyone help?? We're really worried it's something majorly serious and perhaps fatal!
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My mum had a colonoscopy, they said she may have Crohns and she's been referred to the Gastroenterology Inflammatory Bowel Disease department. But she's recently got a referral for the Colorectal department for a separate appointment. She contacted the booking team who told her to ask the consultant at her first appointment (the Gastroenterology one). She's searched it up and both departments deal with bowel diseases, but Colorectal deal also with cancer. So we are now worried she has cancer. Why else would she see two different departments about the same disease if both departments deal with treating Crohns? Does this mean she has cancer because they haven't told us anything and she had to ring up after getting her Gastroenterology appointment to ask why she was referred and what her results were. No one rang or sent a letter about her Crohns until she rang to ask what was found.

Can anyone help?? We're really worried it's something majorly serious and perhaps fatal!
Colorectal is just referring to the area of the body (colo=colon, rectal=rectum so it's in the colon/ rectum area). They might also deal with cancers in that area, but it doesn't mean your mum has cancer. Like how a neurologist could deal with epilepsy, but you can still be seeing them for headaches.
I've seen colorectal people and don't have cancer. They were just more suited to my specific issue than the gastro I'd seen before.

It's probably just that the colorectal team deal more with treatment while the gastro team deal more with diagnosis and tests. That's a totally normal thing to be the case. They've told her about the crohns so they would have almost certainly told her about anything else then too. Doesn't sound like there's any reason to be concerned.
Anonymous #1
It's just that she has two separate appointments for two separate departments, supposedly both for Crohns.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's just that she has two separate appointments for two separate departments, supposedly both for Crohns.
It’s not uncommon for both colorectal surgeons and gastroenterologists to care for people with crohns. In no vague way does it mean she has cancer.

Also administratively, departments and appointments can get labels on paperwork and documents which aren’t strictly correct, but just because they share the same administrative infrastructure.
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
Thank you!

(Original post by Etomidate)
It’s not uncommon for both colorectal surgeons and gastroenterologists to care for people with crohns. In no vague way does it mean she has cancer.

Also administratively, departments and appointments can get labels on paperwork and documents which aren’t strictly correct, but just because they share the same administrative infrastructure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.39%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (22)
17.74%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.06%

Watched Threads