The Student Room Group

Help me decide on my degree!! (joint english and history or just history)

Please read if you have experience with either english or history at degree level, I am really struggling

So, I enjoy both subjects at A level although I find I am a bit more naturally inclined towards English rather than history however I am predicted an A in both subjects.

With english I love analysing the texts and picking out meanings etc.

I have always loved history but I do find it challenging at a level due to the essay structure rather than the content.

The reason I am between a joint and single honours is that I am firstly worried about how texts are studied at a much faster pace in english and how they're more of an overview rather than a in depth analysis like it is at A level. I also worry that I will struggle with the older texts (anything pre-Shakespeare), I have found that I thoroughly enjoy 1800-2000 texts such as Frankenstein and the great Gatsby but start to drop off when it comes to Shakespeare. Furthermore a joint honours would limit my optional modules

However my worry with taking history alone is that I will miss having a more creative element to my learning. I also worry that I will find it too difficult.

Any advice/experiences of either degree would be really appreciated, I have been agonising over this decision for months and the deadline is in 6 days now so I really need to make a decision.
Original post by Admera
Please read if you have experience with either english or history at degree level, I am really struggling

So, I enjoy both subjects at A level although I find I am a bit more naturally inclined towards English rather than history however I am predicted an A in both subjects.

I have always loved history but I do find it challenging at a level due to the essay structure rather than the content.

The reason I am between a joint and single honours is that I am firstly worried about how texts are studied at a much faster pace in english and how they're more of an overview rather than a in depth analysis like it is at A level. I also worry that I will struggle with the older texts (anything pre-Shakespeare), I have found that I thoroughly enjoy 1800-2000 texts such as Frankenstein and the great Gatsby but start to drop off when it comes to Shakespeare. Furthermore a joint honours would limit my optional modules

However my worry with taking history alone is that I will miss having a more creative element to my learning. I also worry that I will find it too difficult.

Any advice/experiences of either degree would be really appreciated, I have been agonising over this decision for months and the deadline is in 6 days now so I really need to make a decision.

Hi Admera :hello:

I studied a joint honours in English Language and Drama, so have some understanding of the decision you have to make.

What swayed me in doing a combined honours course is that, essentially, you get to study half of each course, so if you're worried about having a bigger workload, it shouldn't work out this way.

Maybe you'd find it useful to write a list of what you enjoy about History and English, then compare it to the courses you are thinking of applying for? If there's elements of English that you realise you're really passionate about - and would be able to study them at university - this might help you make your decision.

I would note as well that, if you start doing a joint honours and realise you want to just do History (or the other way round) a lot of universities will let you switch if it's early enough in the year. Maybe contact the universities, explaining your situation, and see what they say?

I hope this helps! Good luck with your decision!

Melissa :five:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi Admera :hello:

I studied a joint honours in English Language and Drama, so have some understanding of the decision you have to make.

What swayed me in doing a combined honours course is that, essentially, you get to study half of each course, so if you're worried about having a bigger workload, it shouldn't work out this way.

Maybe you'd find it useful to write a list of what you enjoy about History and English, then compare it to the courses you are thinking of applying for? If there's elements of English that you realise you're really passionate about - and would be able to study them at university - this might help you make your decision.

I would note as well that, if you start doing a joint honours and realise you want to just do History (or the other way round) a lot of universities will let you switch if it's early enough in the year. Maybe contact the universities, explaining your situation, and see what they say?

I hope this helps! Good luck with your decision!

Melissa :five:

Hi Melissa thanks for your advice! I think I will apply to the joint honours and go from there. I looked at some of the university websites that I am applying to and they appear to allow you to change course and continue in the same year as long as it is early enough.
Original post by Admera
Hi Melissa thanks for your advice! I think I will apply to the joint honours and go from there. I looked at some of the university websites that I am applying to and they appear to allow you to change course and continue in the same year as long as it is early enough.

Hi @Admera

You are very welcome. If you need any more advice please feel free to ask. :h:
Original post by Admera

Hey there!
I'm currently in my final year studying History at the University of Kent :smile:
I was in a similar situation to you when I applied to university, I really loved English lit and History, but I didn't consider a combined honours (and now wish I had as I do miss doing English lit). That said, I have loved studying History, but if you have a specific period/type of History that you enjoy or want to study, then I'd recommend looking for a university that offers you a lot of flexibility in your course. The main reason I was drawn to Kent for History was because there's only one compulsory module in the whole degree and that's in the first year, after this you have the choice of loads of different modules which means you can really tailor the degree to your interests.
Like @Liverpool Hope University has said, it could be a good idea to write a pros and cons list for each subject individually, and then if you can't find one that has more pros for you, then a joint honours could help you get the best of both worlds! :biggrin:
And again, as Liverpool Hope said, you can always switch after your first year to one of the subjects if you find that a joint honours isn't for you!
I hope that this helps, and best of luck with it all :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending