The Student Room Group

Is it possible to write a 2D vector in 3D vector form?

Hey everyone,
I’m currently stuck on a question which gives me multiple 3D vectors ( and one of them is a 2D vector), and it’s asking me to work out the overall vector from one point to another. What should I do to the 2D vector so it matches the format of the other vectors? Thank you
Original post by motivatedmadman
Hey everyone,
I’m currently stuck on a question which gives me multiple 3D vectors ( and one of them is a 2D vector), and it’s asking me to work out the overall vector from one point to another. What should I do to the 2D vector so it matches the format of the other vectors? Thank you

Best guess, you have vectors specifed relative to 3 unit vectors, i,j,k and your 2D vector only has two out of the three components. In which case you can add the additional component with a scalar of zero. E.g. 2i+3k becomes 2i+0j+3k.

If that doesn't cover it, post the original question you have.
Original post by ghostwalker
Best guess, you have vectors specifed relative to 3 unit vectors, i,j,k and your 2D vector only has two out of the three components. In which case you can add the additional component with a scalar of zero. E.g. 2i+3k becomes 2i+0j+3k.

If that doesn't cover it, post the original question you have.

Thank for your advice! I understand it now

Quick Reply

Latest