lexieee.m
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am really close to choosing my options and I am really torn, I'm thinking about history but loads of people have told me that it is really hard and advised me not to do it. So anyone who has taken history do you have any tips or advice? What is the course like etc?
Abbie202
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lexieee.m)
I am really close to choosing my options and I am really torn, I'm thinking about history but loads of people have told me that it is really hard and advised me not to do it. So anyone who has taken history do you have any tips or advice? What is the course like etc?
Hi I took history and it is tricky to remember everything but as long as you keep on top of your notes its fine. Just choose what you enjoy good luck.
AbbyScuito
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think for me I decided based on the topics for the history. My school do edexcel and the papers are:
Paper One Medicine, Paper Two Cold War and Elizabeth, Paper Three Russia. All these areas I quite like so that was a factor.
Also, we had to choose between Geography and History and I absolutely hated Geography so I didn't have to think about it too much.
hollystephens
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
history is really interesting, it's just a lot of work/notes and the exam is hard. my history course involves medicine through time (1250-now), nazi germany, king richard & john and superpowers/the cold war
i think literally just making notes throughout so you can use them in year 11 will really help you and make the entire course so much easier. i wish i had done this and teachers always said to but i ignored it. make sure you understand each part and ask for help(!!!)
once you've done something, say like medieval prevention of diseases, make a mindmap or flash cards about it or however you revise. thats the key.
ellaosb04
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For me personally, History one of the more difficult subjects, because it is content based subject, so takes a lot of work. When I was revising for my Mocks, History took up most of my time because there was just so. Much. Content.
I’ve often said it’s the one subject I regret choosing because of the amount of stuff you need to know in the exam. It’s given me the most stress, etc out of all my subjects.
However it’s one of my most interesting subjects and I probably wouldn’t give it up now.
Also, it depends on which exam board/topics you’re doing. I do Edexcel and I’m doing Medicine in Britain from 1250, which I find the hardest topic, Weimar and Nazi Germany, the Cold War and the Elizabethan times. I have 3 final exams.
For me, a big problem is timing in exams. For my exam board, you’re given about 70-80 mins for each exam in which you have to do an essay and many other questions(you can find the specifics on the spec of your history exam board).
Other than that, lessons are really interesting and it’s probably one of my favourite subjects in terms of lessons.
So, basically, if you are really interested in History and are prepared to put in the effort, and time then do it, in the end it’s only GCSEs.
There’s a lot more to say, so if you have any specific questions about the History course, feel free to ask me.
lolnimasha
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well personally I would say that if you are interested in history don't pick it the work can get hard at time just make sure you will be able to cope again not saying its an easy gcse but its super rewarding one considering all the career opportunities that history can lead up to
Jetwasher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well I took History and its not actually SUPER hard you just have to remember a lot of stuff. I took the WJEC exam so idk if it is different from the others but it wasn't too hard. Also like 95% of the class passed which is good considering its a mixed ability class
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?