HBSF (human body structure & function) SQCF level 8

Watch
MYR89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi has anyone taken Level 8 HBSF in 6th year at school. Was it difficult?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MYR89)
AfricanDream I think I remember seeing you mentioning doing this in a post? Not sure if you're able to share any experiences with OP?
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
AfricanDream I think I remember seeing you mentioning doing this in a post? Not sure if you're able to share any experiences with OP?
Good memory, I did mention this in a post

(Original post by MYR89)
I took Level 8 HBSF in 6th year alongside 3 advanced highers. I achieved 90% in the final exam for it.

I did find it difficult, especially in the beginning as there is a lot to take in and it is very different from other subjects in how you learn- there is a lot of self study and you do need to put the time in. I along with all but 1 person in my class failed the first class test, as far as I remember you needed at least 60% (it might be higher) to pass, we failed mostly because we didn't know how to answer the questions and didn't fully understand the content by that point. The first outcome is the worst in my opinion, however, if you work hard and keep revising it does become a lot easier.

Several people in my class dropped out of the course early on, however, it does get more interesting as it progresses and if you are genuinely interested in the subject, it really is worth it. I really enjoyed the practicals, from dissecting sheep lungs to learning about blood typing and testing fake blood samples based on the knowledge we learned- it was pretty amazing. If you are at all thinking of pursuing a career in medicine or something along those lines, I would say choosing the course is a no brainer.

Overall, I really did enjoy the subject- it was challenging but then again University is going to be a lot more challenging then high school so not a bad thing. It is going to be difficult because you only have one lesson in class per week (we had several different lecturers teach us and a few sessions were cancelled due to our actual lecturers' health issues which made it more difficult for us) and you might not like it at first, but stick it out, it is super interesting and worth it in the end.

I hope this helps, I did the course in 2017-2018. Message me if you have any other questions about the course, I will help where I can from what I remember.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 1 year ago
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)

I took Level 8 HBSF in 6th year alongside 3 advanced highers. I achieved 90% in the final exam for it.

I did find it difficult, especially in the beginning as there is a lot to take in and it is very different from other subjects in how you learn- there is a lot of self study and you do need to put the time in. I along with all but 1 person in my class failed the first class test, as far as I remember you needed at least 60% (it might be higher) to pass, we failed mostly because we didn't know how to answer the questions and didn't fully understand the content by that point. The first outcome is the worst in my opinion, however, if you work hard and keep revising it does become a lot easier.

Several people in my class dropped out of the course early on, however, it does get more interesting as it progresses and if you are genuinely interested in the subject, it really is worth it. I really enjoyed the practicals, from dissecting sheep lungs to learning about blood typing and testing fake blood samples based on the knowledge we learned- it was pretty amazing. If you are at all thinking of pursuing a career in medicine or something along those lines, I would say choosing the course is a no brainer.

Overall, I really did enjoy the subject- it was challenging but then again University is going to be a lot more challenging then high school so not a bad thing. It is going to be difficult because you only have one lesson in class per week (we had several different lecturers teach us and a few sessions were cancelled due to our actual lecturers' health issues which made it more difficult for us) and you might not like it at first, but stick it out, it is super interesting and worth it in the end.

I hope this helps, I did the course in 2017-2018. Message me if you have any other questions about the course, I will help where I can from what I remember.
Thanks for giving such a detailed response for OP!
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Thanks for giving such a detailed response for OP!
No problem I am super happy to be able to help in any way that I can.
MYR89
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Thank you, still to choose my options for next year. So will keep this in mind.
username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Just curious if and how you added HBSF to your UCAS application. I want to add it as a qualification but I am not sure what award it would go under if that makes sense. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (316)
57.35%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
13.79%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (48)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.81%

Watched Threads