The Student Room Group

Making notes!

does anyone know how to make notes on science and get a 9 in GCSE
(BTW I'm combined higher )
(edited 4 years ago)
Flashcards really helped me out. But it was the overall process of going through school notes and deciding what was worth keeping and what wasn't that allowed me to learn.
Depends on if you're doing separate science or combined...

I'm doing separate and I'm aiming to get 9s in chemistry and biology, and an 8 in physics (my exam board is OCR Gateway).

For biology, it's quite hard to condense notes down as biology is a very content heavy subject. I suggest for biology you focus on memorising processes and doing lots of practise questions (and also be quite strict with yourself when marking, because biology mark schemes are VERY specific). In terms of making notes, find what works for you, whether that's just flashcards (or quizlets-whether premade or made by yourself), mindmaps or normal notes. Make sure you don't copy notes straight from textbooks or revision guides: it's important to make revision interactive so you remember it better. Make good use of the revision guides, I personally LOVE CGP revision guides for last minute revision - completely saved me for my mocks haha.

Chemistry is a lot easier to condense down notes wise, as it's very concept based and once you know these concepts, you can apply these to most questions (another reason why practise questions are great for science). I'd say use the textbook and revision guides to make condensed notes, and use these rather than the revision guide when revising, as it'll be quicker.

Physics is kind of half-way between biology and chemistry in terms of revising, concept based but also still quite content heavy. I find with physics, I have to sit down and read through the revision guide before I make any notes to make sure I understand everything and their links. Again, practise questions!
Learning equations through quizlet is easiest I find... do what works best for you!

I hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by mollygribben_
Depends on if you're doing separate science or combined...

I'm doing separate and I'm aiming to get 9s in chemistry and biology, and an 8 in physics (my exam board is OCR Gateway).

For biology, it's quite hard to condense notes down as biology is a very content heavy subject. I suggest for biology you focus on memorising processes and doing lots of practise questions (and also be quite strict with yourself when marking, because biology mark schemes are VERY specific). In terms of making notes, find what works for you, whether that's just flashcards (or quizlets-whether premade or made by yourself), mindmaps or normal notes. Make sure you don't copy notes straight from textbooks or revision guides: it's important to make revision interactive so you remember it better. Make good use of the revision guides, I personally LOVE CGP revision guides for last minute revision - completely saved me for my mocks haha.

Chemistry is a lot easier to condense down notes wise, as it's very concept based and once you know these concepts, you can apply these to most questions (another reason why practise questions are great for science). I'd say use the textbook and revision guides to make condensed notes, and use these rather than the revision guide when revising, as it'll be quicker.

Physics is kind of half-way between biology and chemistry in terms of revising, concept based but also still quite content heavy. I find with physics, I have to sit down and read through the revision guide before I make any notes to make sure I understand everything and their links. Again, practise questions!
Learning equations through quizlet is easiest I find... do what works best for you!

I hope this helps!

I'm doing combined higher and thank you for your help
Original post by GCSE_20_20
I'm doing combined higher and thank you for your help

no problem!
Original post by kubes_04
Flashcards really helped me out. But it was the overall process of going through school notes and deciding what was worth keeping and what wasn't that allowed me to learn.

this isn't a note-making technique, but I watched Free Science Lessons a lot, and science gave me my highest grades
The first place to start is look through the subject specification (on the exam board website) so you know exactly what you need to revise for each science.

Then you can use text books, revision guides and lesson notes to understand those topics. Once you have a good understanding start testing yourself as soon as possible - make flashcards, quizzes, posters and mindmaps from memory. Test your friends and try to explain things each other, then go back and check you're correct. Do as many past papers as you can, then go back through the mark scheme and look at which topics you lost marks on, go back and revise those, then repeat!

CGP revision guides are great, they're the ones I preferred to use!

Try to avoid passive revision (just reading and highlighting).

If there are topics you don't understand, there are some really useful youtube videos - I liked the Crash Course biology videos and there are lots for the equations you'll need to know for physics and chemistry.

Memorise definitions as these are easy marks (put the word on one side of a flashcard and the exam board's definition on the back).
Reply 7
I got 9s in all my sciences last year... what I’d say is look at all the topics and decide on what you’re not so confident on. Then watch videos like Free Science Lessons or Primrose Kitten and make notes based on what they cover. Try to condense as much as possible without losing all the important points. But what really gets you the grades is DOING PAST PAPER QUESTIONS. They are the key to getting a good grade rather than just note making. I’m happy to answer any other questions on getting through GCSEs. Good luck
Original post by skent6
I got 9s in all my sciences last year... what I’d say is look at all the topics and decide on what you’re not so confident on. Then watch videos like Free Science Lessons or Primrose Kitten and make notes based on what they cover. Try to condense as much as possible without losing all the important points. But what really gets you the grades is DOING PAST PAPER QUESTIONS. They are the key to getting a good grade rather than just note making. I’m happy to answer any other questions on getting through GCSEs. Good luck

Hii! I’d like to know, how many past paper questions were you typically doing as you were learning through the course? Or did you do them mostly nearer the exams?
Reply 9
Original post by Ileenileen
Hii! I’d like to know, how many past paper questions were you typically doing as you were learning through the course? Or did you do them mostly nearer the exams?

So I got the CGP book which had loads of exam questions by topic it was really good. This tended to be in my revision nearer the exams once we’d finished learning all the content and then if they didn’t go so well I’d find some more. Hope that helps
Original post by skent6
So I got the CGP book which had loads of exam questions by topic it was really good. This tended to be in my revision nearer the exams once we’d finished learning all the content and then if they didn’t go so well I’d find some more. Hope that help

Thank you!! Also, when you say 'nearer exams' how many weeks/months do you mean? And do you tend to repeat past papers?
Reply 11
Original post by Ileenileen
Thank you!! Also, when you say 'nearer exams' how many weeks/months do you mean? And do you tend to repeat past papers?

From about February I started these... generally no I didn’t repeat the past papers but it is still a good practice as if it didn’t go well it’s good to repeat it or after some time it’s good to retry and see if there’s any bits of your knowledge thatve gone missing

Quick Reply

Latest