ChocoLait
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Genuinely curious why for MEDICINE, many think UCL is better than Barts? especially when Barts is second in London for Medicine, and has been consistently higher than UCL in the league table for Medicine for the past five years or so?

I am, of course, excluding any accommodation, student life experience, and purely asking from an academic AND research aspect, as to which university is better?
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ChocoLait)
Genuinely curious why for MEDICINE, many think UCL is better than Barts? especially when Barts is second in London for Medicine, and has been consistently higher than UCL in the league table for Medicine for the past five years or so?

I am, of course, excluding any accommodation, student life experience, and purely asking from an academic AND research aspect, as to which university is better?
league tables for medicine are pretty suspect, which one are you looking at?
ChocoLait
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
league tables for medicine are pretty suspect, which one are you looking at?
all of them tbh - complete university guide, times, guardian. Even on The Barts website profile, it says second best in London (presumably after Imperial)??

no idea how much face I should give them, but yeah got offers from both, hence confused. As I’m not planning to stay in accommodation, the East London area is not a problem for me... and rather than prestige, I do want to go into the med school that would provide a better academic insight into medicine. But I’m actually not sure which one is better?🤔
Last edited by ChocoLait; 10 months ago
2500_2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by ChocoLait)
all of them tbh - complete university guide, times, guardian. Even on The Barts website profile, it says second best in London (presumably after Imperial)??

no idea how much face I should give them, but yeah got offers from both, hence confused. As I’m not planning to stay in accommodation, the East London area is not a problem for me... and rather than prestige, I do want to go into the med school that would provide a better academic insight into medicine. But I’m actually not sure which one is better?🤔
Depends what you think is important - Imperial generally scores marginally higher on research which is obviously because it's part of a large science-based uni with more research postgraduates. Barts usually scores higher on student satisfaction.
So neither is 'better' but one might suit you and your career path very slightly better. Which felt more you when you visited, which one did you feel more at home in for the interviews? Those are more sensible ways to choose.
ChocoLait
Rep:
?
No, of course I realise that. I know Imperial is definitely certified the best in London, at least, for research (awarded TEF gold), but it’s just my question is between Barts and UCL - both are awarded TEF Silver. So what makes UCL have a better world ranking, and what makes Barts better (2nd in London) in terms of UK medical school rankings, is my question. As according to the rankings, it’s not only the student satisfaction that Barts seem to have an edge over. This is because I am interested in research but the thing which draws me towards Barts is that I have the opportunity to do an intercalated Bsc degree at other unis as well (ie: Imperial) if I wished, rather than UCL who has it as a compulsory year. Therefore, I feel I can choose where my specialty lies and choose to do it at an institution that will allow me to gain a richer understanding at the precipice of research breakthroughs, if you get me? And as you said, this isn’t really a problem as such, but as an Asian, I feel many people (especially my family) would just be surprised and won’t understand my reasoning if I reject UCL, since to them it has a better prestige, which at the end of the day, I also do see where they’re coming from... and in terms of location, I definitely preferred UCL. However, I live close to London so after second year, I’ll be commuting and so I’m not sure how much this factor should actually impact my decision.

Hope my concerns make sense lol... I just don’t want to regret letting go a place which may have made my career easier/better or maybe more importantly would have made me even happier!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads