M575 - National Curriculum Review Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
M575 - National Curriculum Review Motion: 04MR17, CatusStarbright MP, SnowMiku MPThis house calls upon the government to conduct a public consultation on TSR of the National Curriculum. This house believes that it is important for our children to learn knowledge and skills that are relevant to their future workplace, relevant to their future lives and relevant to the 21st century. Given the rapidly evolving cultural, political and technological environment that Britain finds herself in, it is imperative that our education system is able to prepare our young people for an unpredictable future.

This house will consider any reforms to the English and Welsh curriculums that the government wishes to put forward as a result of their consultation with the public. This house considers any of these reforms to also be recommendations from the UK Government to the education authorities in Scotland and Northern Ireland unless stated otherwise.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sounds good :yy:
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How exactly will the public be consulted?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Fully support the idea of a public consultation reviewing the National Curriculum.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
How exactly will the public be consulted?
Make a thread in a higher level of D&CA and call it advertising

Of course we get a massive meme here, two members of those named are in government, is the government really that dead?

Also quite amusing to suggest preparation for the unpredictable
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Of course we get a massive meme here, two members of those named are in government, is the government really that dead?

A party I am a member of is in government, I am not. I'm not currently an MP or cabinet member. None of those listed are cabinet members and therefore I do not consider them to be part of the government.

Preparation for the unpredictable is what the Education system has been asked to deliver for the past decade without any clearer guidance. You can forgive teachers from being sarcastic about the government when it produces rhetoric like this.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Welsh curriculum is also devolved (!) but I'm open to a consultation thread on the curriculum for England. I do have ideas for some tweaks but I'm willing to put them on hold and hear what people have to say.

The option of consulting on specific ideas is also there.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
The Welsh curriculum is also devolved (!) but I'm open to a consultation thread on the curriculum for England. I do have ideas for some tweaks but I'm willing to put them on hold and hear what people have to say.

Sorry, I wrote this in bed last night. Will edit this in before division if Andrew will take it as a minor change.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

I expect this was probably a personal project of 04 and wanted it shown as such, but you could try asking him for his motivations yourself.
One can never truly predict the future Jammy.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A thorough analysis of the national curriculum is part of my dissertation project, so this certainly would help.
I'd just rather someone else did it for me...
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Because it's not like we haven't been dealing with devolved issues in the house quite a bit recently is it.
ohdearstudying
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it will be an exceptionally welcomed consultation, looking forward to it!
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems reasonable to me!
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Because it's not like we haven't been dealing with devolved issues in the house quite a bit recently is it.
You'll have noticed two things I hope a) the lack of action on Cardiff Airport after the motion passing because it's not within the competence of the UK government and b) the Welsh bill is a piece of primary legislation.

The curriculum in Wales is not within my competence as Education Secretary, it's within the competence of a different Lib Dem in a different parliament.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll have noticed two things I hope a) the lack of action on Cardiff Airport after the motion passing because it's not within the competence of the UK government and b) the Welsh bill is a piece of primary legislation.

The curriculum in Wales is not within my competence as Education Secretary, it's within the competence of a different Lib Dem in a different parliament.
I would have thought because of the devolved canon amendment just as the MHoC parliament can act as a devolved parliament, the MHoC government can act as a devolved government.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aph)
I would have thought because of the devolved canon amendment just as the MHoC parliament can act as a devolved parliament, the MHoC government can act as a devolved government.
It certainly doesn't say that and doesn't necessarily follow, and IIRC it's also in a specific bills section.

In any case I see no reason why I would want to expand my mandate to Wales but not to Scotland or NI.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree also if possible be good to get business involved so can make sure students are being trained for the jobs of the future.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would agree, but I think the motion is a little vague. Are we looking at primary or secondary, or both?
The motion does not really explain what it believes is currently flawed with our education system, and just calls for an overall review.
Maybe the proposers could expand a little on what they think needs to be reformed?
I do agree though, and would certainly like to bring in more “life lessons” into education
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I am glad you are no longer speaker given you clearly have no idea what the competences of this house are and are not, yet again I shall refer you to the guidance document which quite clearly states:

"This House may act as the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales, Northern Ireland Assembly or any English devolved regional assembly in passing legislation on devolved issues relating to those constituent parts of the country."

It is well within the competences of this house to act on that motion, the government does not refuse to do so because it cannot but because it does not want to. I suppose the petition route does remain open for The Mogg
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by abucha3)
I would agree, but I think the motion is a little vague. Are we looking at primary or secondary, or both?
The motion does not really explain what it believes is currently flawed with our education system, and just calls for an overall review.
Maybe the proposers could expand a little on what they think needs to be reformed?
I do agree though, and would certainly like to bring in more “life lessons” into education
The first question is entirely at the discretion of the Secretary of State if the motion passes. I'd personally like to see both but the motion doesn't demand it, nor does it need to I find.

The motion does not state at all that the current education system is flawed. A public consultation may well come to the opposite conclusion and seek the curriculum which is currently offered.

I think an awful lot needs to be reformed, I'm writing my dissertation on some of it but I'm more interested in what TSR users think needs to be reformed, what they care about and about using an opportunity like this to draw more users into MHoC.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise