This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I expect this was probably a personal project of 04 and wanted it shown as such, but you could try asking him for his motivations yourself.
One can never truly predict the future Jammy.
The thing about this inability to predict the future is the sort of things that would require significant changes are the sorts of things that we cannot predict, but more crucially they are rare and you have a fair bit of time to implement. Consider the question of when the last such major shift happened? Maybe stuff to do with computers? But actually those transitions were slow
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
A party I am a member of is in government, I am not. I'm not currently an MP or cabinet member. None of those listed are cabinet members and therefore I do not consider them to be part of the government.

Preparation for the unpredictable is what the Education system has been asked to deliver for the past decade without any clearer guidance. You can forgive teachers from being sarcastic about the government when it produces rhetoric like this.
Was the proposal presented to the government and rejected? If not this remains a meme motion, if so then questions need raising given so far the rest of the left seem to be supportive (bar Fez who seems to have no idea about the competences of the house)
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Was the proposal presented to the government and rejected? If not this remains a meme motion, if so then questions need raising given so far the rest of the left seem to be supportive (bar Fez who seems to have no idea about the competences of the house)
No. If you want to call it a meme go ahead. I don't particularly care.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
You'll have noticed two things I hope a) the lack of action on Cardiff Airport after the motion passing because it's not within the competence of the UK government and b) the Welsh bill is a piece of primary legislation.

The curriculum in Wales is not within my competence as Education Secretary, it's within the competence of a different Lib Dem in a different parliament.
I would have responded to this as soon as you sent it but I decided to wait for Jammy Duel to do so since I have gathered how much he has enjoyed having to remind people about how devolved powers work in MHoC.
I suppose the petition route does remain open for The Mogg
I didn't think I would be able to do so since according to the GD:

"Registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may post a petition in the Model House of Commons forum. Alternatively registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may send the petition directly to the speaker in order to submit it anonymously."

Or is there something I am missing here?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I would have responded to this as soon as you sent it but I decided to wait for Jammy Duel to do so since I have gathered how much he has enjoyed having to remind people about how devolved powers work in MHoC.

I didn't think I would be able to do so since according to the GD:

"Registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may post a petition in the Model House of Commons forum. Alternatively registered members of The Student Room (barring MPs and The Speaker) may send the petition directly to the speaker in order to submit it anonymously."

Or is there something I am missing here?
Obviously you don't do it yourself, you have a non-MP submit it on your behalf.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahem... my motion. :grumble:
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Obviously you don't do it yourself, you have a non-MP submit it on your behalf.
Ah, understood. Thank You.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am glad you are no longer speaker given you clearly have no idea what the competences of this house are and are not, yet again I shall refer you to the guidance document which quite clearly states:

"This House may act as the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales, Northern Ireland Assembly or any English devolved regional assembly in passing legislation on devolved issues relating to those constituent parts of the country."

It is well within the competences of this house to act on that motion, the government does not refuse to do so because it cannot but because it does not want to. I suppose the petition route does remain open for The Mogg
That would require amending the devolution settlement, as it is a government not a legislative power, and we won't be doing that.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
AHEM... MY MOTION... :mad2:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
That would require amending the devolution settlement, as it is a government not a legislative power, and we won't be doing that.
Erm, secondary legislation is still legislation

Just come clean and say you have no intention to pay attention to motions or petitions you disagree with instead of giving us all this crap
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
I think an awful lot needs to be reformed, I'm writing my dissertation on some of it but I'm more interested in what TSR users think needs to be reformed, what they care about and about using an opportunity like this to draw more users into MHoC.
1) ability to read a contract
2) CV writing and interview skills. job placement/career advice
3) learning how to read a newspaper. what is propaganda, spin, framing, who owns the paper. learning to read critically because otherwise we continue to generate citizens who believe everything they read.
4) where to find mental health services. how to help yourself/help your friends
5) reform on sex education. what is consent
6) basic money knowledge. how to do your taxes
7) some kind of survival class. if you had to live off £10 a week how would you get by?

didn't study in the UK so obviously don't know what's already part of the curriculum.

also agree your motion is rather vague.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most definitely agree
The current curriculum hasn't kept up to date with what is needed for the modern age, in my opinion.
The exams themselves are also outdated, but that's beside the point.
I agree with Joleee on many points - young people nowdays need to know about how the world works, not necessarily an equation that most won't use.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye to the idea, agree details need to be worked out for a consultation. The suggested topics of consent and mental health access I agree with especially.

The main challenge will be what is excluded from the current curriculum or made optional.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The thing about this inability to predict the future is the sort of things that would require significant changes are the sorts of things that we cannot predict, but more crucially they are rare and you have a fair bit of time to implement. Consider the question of when the last such major shift happened? Maybe stuff to do with computers? But actually those transitions were slow
Let's be honest though, children starting school at 4 years old will be in the education system for 14 years. At lot can happen in 14 years, and indeed if you look back to 14 years ago then the world looked rather different!
(Original post by Joleee)
1) ability to read a contract
2) CV writing and interview skills. job placement/career advice
3) learning how to read a newspaper. what is propaganda, spin, framing, who owns the paper. learning to read critically because otherwise we continue to generate citizens who believe everything they read.
4) where to find mental health services. how to help yourself/help your friends
5) reform on sex education. what is consent
6) basic money knowledge. how to do your taxes
7) some kind of survival class. if you had to live off £10 a week how would you get by?

didn't study in the UK so obviously don't know what's already part of the curriculum.

also agree your motion is rather vague.
The motion is vague, because its purpose is to ask the government to launch a public consultation. If the motion passes, the consultation will then be held where everyone can give opinions about how the curriculum should be reformed. The responses can then be used by the government to make reforms, or perhaps by anyone else in the form of a motion/petition to ask the government to act on the suggestion.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A nay from me, looks like soft liberals are trying to make new generations even more soft and snowflakey.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
A nay from me, looks like soft liberals are trying to make new generations even more soft and snowflakey.
Looks like you've drawn the conclusions of a public consultation before it's even approved. I'm impressed.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
I don't think that "learn knowledge and skills that are relevant to their future workplace, relevant to their future lives and relevant to the 21st century" makes them snowflakey or soft, I think it means teaching them about financial stuff, social skills, etc... which is useful for adult life. No one needs to know the coefficient of friction of a skier on a rough slope when the slope is tilted at 7o (what I just learnt in my latest mechanics lesson). People need to know about financial stuff, taxes, etc.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Looks like you've drawn the conclusions of a public consultation before it's even approved. I'm impressed.
Looks like I don't want to talk to you, please don't speak to me on this platform again.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Let's be honest though, children starting school at 4 years old will be in the education system for 14 years. At lot can happen in 14 years, and indeed if you look back to 14 years ago then the world looked rather different!

The motion is vague, because its purpose is to ask the government to launch a public consultation. If the motion passes, the consultation will then be held where everyone can give opinions about how the curriculum should be reformed. The responses can then be used by the government to make reforms, or perhaps by anyone else in the form of a motion/petition to ask the government to act on the suggestion.
That doesn't answer the question, if anything it suggests you have no idea when it last happened. There's a reason why: radical changes are actually quite slow
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
I don't think that "learn knowledge and skills that are relevant to their future workplace, relevant to their future lives and relevant to the 21st century" makes them snowflakey or soft, I think it means teaching them about financial stuff, social skills, etc... which is useful for adult life. No one needs to know the coefficient of friction of a skier on a rough slope when the slope is tilted at 7o (what I just learnt in my latest mechanics lesson). People need to know about financial stuff, taxes, etc.
One line we hear constantly on and on and on from people who are generally stupid or didn't pay enough attention in school is "ERM WTH WHY DID WE LEARN ABOUT ALGEBRA AND NOT TAXES".

I didn't have tax classes in school and I know how to fill in a tax return, P45 etc because funnily enough I have a brain cell and can read what the form asks me to do.

90% of people know what to do with money without having dedicated lessons in class. If you don't know what to do, there are ways of finding out without clogging up school time which is already cramped at the moment. No one in secondary school needs to know how to 'do taxes', (which in itself is a stupid phrase anyway) because the vast majority of people will earn so little that nothing is taken from them, and those who do earn stuff will only earn enough for NI contirbutions which are taken automatically.

90% of people don't need a class on social skills because funnily enough what we've been doing at nursery, year 1, 2, 3 ,4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, lower sixth, upper sixth, university year 1, 2, and 3 plus extracurriculur clubs, parties etc kind of prepare you socially. Unless you have a mental problem.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads