M575 - National Curriculum Review Motion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
I know it's not your idea. A predominantly left wing committee moans about Brexit coverage and fake news. No surprises there then. That's not even the first time people have argued about putting critical media into humanities subjects. It's been talked about for years and still isn't widespread. That's telling in itself and we all know why it's not widespread
the paper that i referenced was written by an equal amount of Conservative MPs as the opposite. your idea that media literacy is solely a 'left wing' idea is troubling tbh. if Conservatives weren't interested in media literacy i would jump off a bridge.

the ability to read a newspaper critically and objectively is, indeed a skill. your objection to it just proves how much it should be incorporated into early education.
Miss Maddie
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
the paper that i referenced was written by an equal amount of Conservative MPs as the opposite. your idea that media literacy is solely a 'left wing' idea is troubling tbh. if Conservatives weren't interested in media literacy i would jump off a bridge.

the ability to read a newspaper critically and objectively is, indeed a skill. your objection to it just proves how much it should be incorporated into early education.
It lists the membership of the committee and their party. Count them. There isn't an equal balance.

It predominantly is left wing supporters complaining about fake news, disinformation and the needs for lessons to 'teach' people about how to spot it. The left makes the sound and the right pays lip service. To be honest I don't think it's a major issue. It's only talked about now to detract from the real problems about politics.

It is a skill that is already taught in English. The GCSE is based on objectively and critically analysing books. Anyone who is completely inept in English class will be able to apply the skills to newspapers. Those who can't treat them as transferable skills are those who can't objectively and critically analyse anything
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those who can't treat them as transferable skills are those who can't objectively and critically analyse anything
What evidence is this claim based on?
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Didn't you say something before about needing to fill in a P45 or something? I got no clue what that is - a finance class could teach me
You don’t need a class to fill in a form. You’re given it and like any other form in life you can just read the box and what it asks of you. Name, address, employment details.

‘Finances’ is not something that’s needed in school. Filling forms in life is easy.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Seriously though, although classes for things like taxes etc sound alright in theory, I feel they would become another PSE, which as Catus has already pointed out is full of dogsh**, among being completely useless.
Well one of the things I want to do this term is take a look at PSHE and try and make sure that it's about more meaningful skills for life and society, rather than some of the God-awful topics we had to do, like a term studying 'friendship'.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Well one of the things I want to do this term is take a look at PSHE and try and make sure that it's about more meaningful skills for life and society, rather than some of the God-awful topics we had to do, like a term studying 'friendship'.
And the God-awful topics I'm still having to do now :angry: Of course as the Shadow Education Secretary and current sufferer of PSHE I do look forward to these changes.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
And the God-awful topics I'm still having to do now :angry: Of course as the Shadow Education Secretary and current sufferer of PSHE I do look forward to these changes.
Well that's certainly an area where I'd be keen to have a public consultation, because I can imagine opposition parties and TSR users generally will have plenty to say. I don't think anyone thinks the current system is great, so it would be nice to try and build consensus on an alternative.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Well that's certainly an area where I'd be keen to have a public consultation, because I can imagine opposition parties and TSR users generally will have plenty to say. I don't think anyone thinks the current system is great, so it would be nice to try and build consensus on an alternative.
Indeed. This has just made me remember that I haven't actually said if I'm for or against the motion after >24 hours :lol: So I suppose I'm for, nothing wrong with gathering public opinion, especially for areas like PSHE.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I am glad you are no longer speaker given you clearly have no idea what the competences of this house are and are not, yet again I shall refer you to the guidance document which quite clearly states:

"This House may act as the Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales, Northern Ireland Assembly or any English devolved regional assembly in passing legislation on devolved issues relating to those constituent parts of the country."

It is well within the competences of this house to act on that motion, the government does not refuse to do so because it cannot but because it does not want to. I suppose the petition route does remain open for The Mogg
He has the habit of making up excuses in order to do nothing. Remember last term when as Foreign Secretary he declined to comment or do anything because he couldn't access the information the real life government had? By that logic, nothing should really ever be done because we're not privy to government secrets.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of these exercises, how many could be done in English as part of comprehensions and practising literary analysis?
Depends if you put it in the curriculum or not.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Didn't you say something before about needing to fill in a P45 or something? I got no clue what that is - a finance class could teach me
The thing about P45s, P60s, etc is when you need to know about them you do, although I would suggest SC doesn't know what a P45 is because individuals don't fill them out, they are issued by your (former) employer, P60s are also issued by the employer, if you are filling our P45s it's because it's your job to.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
I think a P45 is a redundancy form - I'm pretty sure someone tried to hand Theresa May one once while she was making a speech.
Not just redundancy, leaving your job under any circumstances. If you're fired you need issuing a P45, if you choose to leave you need a P45. Actually when I say "need" I actually mean "should receive" because you don't really need it unless you're starting a new job or something so your new employer has your YTD tax info so they can do their PAYE correctly, or for you to be able to use for your self assessment if you need to fill in a self assessment
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Teaching people to read a newspaper would not be hard. I can think of exercises to do!
How to read a newspaper:
step 1 - find paper
step 2 - pick up paper
step 3 - start reading
Joleee
Report 1 month ago
It lists the membership of the committee and their party. Count them. There isn't an equal balance.

It predominantly is left wing supporters complaining about fake news, disinformation and the needs for lessons to 'teach' people about how to spot it. The left makes the sound and the right pays lip service. To be honest I don't think it's a major issue. It's only talked about now to detract from the real problems about politics.

It is a skill that is already taught in English. The GCSE is based on objectively and critically analysing books. Anyone who is completely inept in English class will be able to apply the skills to newspapers. Those who can't treat them as transferable skills are those who can't objectively and critically analyse anything
oh sorry i missed the last guy. guess that means those five Conservatives - including the Conservative Chair of the Committee - had no influence, interest or say in what happens in the actual committee. no, actually it isn't left wing supporters complaining about fake news btw. the biggest proposer is the President of the United States of America.

so Conservatives are just paying 'lip service' to the other side. lol you really think nothing of your party. i choose to think Conservatives in real life are open minded, willing to seek solutions and pro education, or should i just be grateful they are pandering to us.

it isn't taught in English class. the ability to analyse fiction once in your lifetime is not the same as the continuous spotting of when you are being manipulated. are you telling me that people analyse the literature of the news while they read the news? you couldn't tell me the principles of propaganda unless you googled it.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not just redundancy, leaving your job under any circumstances. If you're fired you need issuing a P45, if you choose to leave you need a P45. Actually when I say "need" I actually mean "should receive" because you don't really need it unless you're starting a new job or something so your new employer has your YTD tax info so they can do their PAYE correctly, or for you to be able to use for your self assessment if you need to fill in a self assessment
That makes sense, thanks for the detail there
How to read a newspaper:
step 1 - find paper
step 2 - pick up paper
step 3 - start reading
I meant in the way that the person I was quoting was discussing.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Division, clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads