Feeling hopeless at sixth form

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m in year 12 doing Biology, chemistry and Psychology. Since the start of year 12 I haven’t been doing very well in Biology and Chemistry, initially it didn’t bother me much because I thought that it’s just the start of the year and that things will improve over time.
However, I’m still not doing very well and it’s starting to bother me.
I feel like my teachers just think I’m not capable and are probably wondering why I chose those two subjects because I’m doing badly in them. I feel embarrassed when I get test results back because of the marks that I get. Also I don’t want the other students to think of me as the one who just does badly in class and then disregard me because of that. I already feel like that’s starting to happen and it’s not a very nice feeling.

Sometimes I feel as if I can’t concentrate in class or when the teacher speaks for a long period of time I just stop listening. Which obviously doesn’t help my grades. I’ve never had issues with focussing before so I don’t know why I can’t concentrate or pay attention.
I do revise but I definitely need to work on my revision technique and space it out more because it clearly isn’t working.

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any advice as I want to do well in those subjects but at the moment I feel at bit hopeless due to my performance so far.
philogrobized
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I’m in year 12 doing Biology, chemistry and Psychology. Since the start of year 12 I haven’t been doing very well in Biology and Chemistry, initially it didn’t bother me much because I thought that it’s just the start of the year and that things will improve over time.
However, I’m still not doing very well and it’s starting to bother me.
I feel like my teachers just think I’m not capable and are probably wondering why I chose those two subjects because I’m doing badly in them. I feel embarrassed when I get test results back because of the marks that I get. Also I don’t want the other students to think of me as the one who just does badly in class and then disregard me because of that. I already feel like that’s starting to happen and it’s not a very nice feeling.

Sometimes I feel as if I can’t concentrate in class or when the teacher speaks for a long period of time I just stop listening. Which obviously doesn’t help my grades. I’ve never had issues with focussing before so I don’t know why I can’t concentrate or pay attention.
I do revise but I definitely need to work on my revision technique and space it out more because it clearly isn’t working.

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any advice as I want to do well in those subjects but at the moment I feel at bit hopeless due to my performance so far.
Imo you need to stop worrying about what other people think, perhaps that hinders your concentration in class idk. But worrying about what other people think will not help. If you think you are already behind perhaps you should set achievable goals and revise the stuff youve already done (on weekends) and do all your homework and revision for tests on weekdays. After you feel you've caught up with your standards you can use the free weekends with reading ahead or more revision. Just what I think hope it helps
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Agree with the above and I do Chemistry and Biology so I am willing to any support if it is needed.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RandomChocolate)
Imo you need to stop worrying about what other people think, perhaps that hinders your concentration in class idk. But worrying about what other people think will not help. If you think you are already behind perhaps you should set achievable goals and revise the stuff youve already done (on weekends) and do all your homework and revision for tests on weekdays. After you feel you've caught up with your standards you can use the free weekends with reading ahead or more revision. Just what I think hope it helps
Thanks for the advice, I think about it most when I get tests back because I feel like they are probably wondering why I keep getting such low marks. I will definitely start setting small achievable goals which will hopefully help and make me feel more motivated.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by yankang.qi)
Agree with the above and I do Chemistry and Biology so I am willing to any support if it is needed.
Thanks are you in year 12?
Anonymous #1
How do you revise for Biology and Chemistry? I find the amount of content in Biology a bit overwhelming especially when it comes to revision.
yankang.qi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks are you in year 12?
Nah I'm in year 13.

How do you revise for Biology and Chemistry? I find the amount of content in Biology a bit overwhelming especially when it comes to revision.
For Biology I've made flashcards for basically every single thing I need to know. I regularly (kinda, probably not enough) test myself on them. Then in the lead up to mocks/exams you want to do lots of exam questions to make sure you understand certain questions are marked and what you should mention in particular topics.
Chemistry is a bit similar, flashcards for the knowledge. There is quite a lot of mathsey stuff in chemistry so you want to practice questions of those, till you understand how to do it. My school has these packs of questions that they give us when we are doing a topic as homework basically. It has lots of questions, I could possibly send you these if your school doesn't really have an equivalent. Although, it is OCR orientated so not sure if you are doing the same exam board.
Biology is very overwhelming with information, you just need to keep reviewing over and over. It'll stick the more you do it. If you start early it'll be better because you'll have all the stuff spread out.
errrr99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when the teacher speaks for a long period of time I just stop listening. Which obviously doesn’t help my grades. I’ve never had issues with focussing before so I don’t know why I can’t concentrate or pay attention.
are you eating enough food to keep your brain ticking over? If you're starving yourself you may find it hard to concentrate.

Alternatively, are you getting at least 8 hours sleep a night?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (253)
57.11%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.89%

Watched Threads