Any uni recommendations for the south?

Watch
username5071070
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I currently live in West Sussex but I’ll be moving to north Dorset in the near future. Ideally I’d like the university I go to to be close eg 1 or 2 hours travel away. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Some examples would be Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Bristol, Exeter, etc
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi Katrina.
I have friends that went to Bournemouth uni, and Southamton solent uni, both said the unis were good.
Nightlife and things to do wise Southampton is the better of the two.
yazrosex
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Bournemouth is amazing
Anonymous #1
Report 9 months ago
I haven’t been to Bournemouth yet got an unconditional for this year so going and well excited. Visited like 4 times. Haha. I can’t find anything negative, lectures brilliant, night life incredible!!! Just ah perfection hah
Solent University, Southampton
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by katrinayates)
I currently live in West Sussex but I’ll be moving to north Dorset in the near future. Ideally I’d like the university I go to to be close eg 1 or 2 hours travel away. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Some examples would be Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Bristol, Exeter, etc
Hi katrinayates,

Feel free to come along to one of our upcoming open days to explore the Solent campus. I live in Dorset myself and I currently commute to Solent, it takes me about 40 minutes a day but saves me lots of money on accommodation fees.

I also have a couple of friends that attend Solent who also live in Dorset but all chose to live in the city while they study. There are upsides to both options, it really depends what suits you best.

Have you thought about which degree you would like to study yet?

Please let us know if you need any more help,

Izzy
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by Solent University)
Hi katrinayates,

Feel free to come along to one of our upcoming open days to explore the Solent campus. I live in Dorset myself and I currently commute to Solent, it takes me about 40 minutes a day but saves me lots of money on accommodation fees.

I also have a couple of friends that attend Solent who also live in Dorset but all chose to live in the city while they study. There are upsides to both options, it really depends what suits you best.

Have you thought about which degree you would like to study yet?

Please let us know if you need any more help,

Izzy
I have quite a few degrees I’m considering! I was considering a BSc Psychology degree, but now I’m considering a mathematics or finance and management degree
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Bristol, Southampton probably the two i'd recommend from your list.

You've not listed: Bath, Oxford, Cambridge,
Warwick (technically midlands, but its right at the top of the south.. It might be less than 2 hours away from you.

Whole bunch in London as well: UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL, Queen Mary, City and several others including niche ones such as Royal Vet College.
Last edited by mnot; 9 months ago
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Bristol, Southampton probably the two i'd recommend from your list.

You've not listed: Bath, Oxford, Cambridge,
Warwick (technically midlands, but its right at the top of the south.. It might be less than 2 hours away from you.

Whole bunch in London as well: UCL, Imperial, LSE, KCL, Queen Mary, City and several others including niche ones such as Royal Vet College.
They’re more than 2 hours away
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'd recommend Portsmouth - small but good Uni in lively town with good shopping/nightlife - and with ferries to France. Lots of their courses have placements etc - excellent for CV building.
Also look at Bath and Bath Spa - both modern campus Unis in a pretty/historic town.
And Oxford Brookes - all the fun of living in Oxford but without the academic pressure.

Much depends on what subjects you are interested in - and your likely grade predictions - and the sort of Uni you want to be at.
Lots of useful advice here about initial steps in making those choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you decide to study Management or Finance (etc) then I'd recommend Cass Business School. I went there. Was fantastic, also it's reputation in industry is second to none.
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
I'd recommend Portsmouth - small but good Uni in lively town with good shopping/nightlife - and with ferries to France. Lots of their courses have placements etc - excellent for CV building.
Also look at Bath and Bath Spa - both modern campus Unis in a pretty/historic town.
And Oxford Brookes - all the fun of living in Oxford but without the academic pressure.

Much depends on what subjects you are interested in - and your likely grade predictions - and the sort of Uni you want to be at.
Lots of useful advice here about initial steps in making those choices : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
I am predicted AAA so that’s not a problem. I’m interested in either psychology, maths or some sort of finance degree
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrMusician95)
If you decide to study Management or Finance (etc) then I'd recommend Cass Business School. I went there. Was fantastic, also it's reputation in industry is second to none.
Where is it?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am predicted AAA so that’s not a problem. I’m interested in either psychology, maths or some sort of finance degree
Then aim at Bath, Bristol, Exeter etc with the likes of Brookes and Portsmouth as Insurance.
Go to some Open Days over the summer to get a feel of what each Uni is like - the subject talks will reveal what various subjects are like at Uni level. Good luck!
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Then aim at Bath, Bristol, Exeter etc with the likes of Brookes and Portsmouth as Insurance.
Go to some Open Days over the summer to get a feel of what each Uni is like - the subject talks will reveal what various subjects are like at Uni level. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! It’s so hard to find out which unis are the best to go to
MrMusician95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Where is it?
London
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
They’re more than 2 hours away
Bath & Oxford are definitely not more 2 hours away from North Dorset.

Ive driven Oxford to Dorset a couple times, and Bath is closer then Oxford...
Last edited by mnot; 9 months ago
username5071070
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Bath & Oxford are definitely not more 2 hours away from North Dorset.

Ive driven Oxford to Dorset a couple times, and Bath is closer then Oxford...
Oxford most definitely isn’t an option. No way would I get in there and I looked round and wasn’t keen
nutristudentbu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, Bournemouth is a great place to study but that's my personal opinion. I know friends who have studied psychology and love it!

Here are some links to the courses you are interested in, although they are all quite different so I would maybe consider really thinking about where you want your degree to take you career wise. When you apply you'll also need to make your personal statement appropriate for the course(s) you're applying for, so being able to express why you want to study the course is really important.

Psychology
Finance
Economics

I would look at the units/modules offered on each of the courses as they vary from uni to uni and once you've created a shortlist visit them at open days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (373)
29.32%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (622)
48.9%

Watched Threads