Turn on thread page Beta

Nose bleeding and periods watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had nosebleeds all my life, to begin with Mum and I were convinced it had a correlation with my gran's bleeding disorder (Glanzmann's - very rare, or at least undetected in many cases) because people can be carriers and a symptom is nose bleeding alongside easy bruising and heavy periods. I dont so much get the bad bruising or very heavy periods (Mum used to be off school for a few days a month due to hers being so heavy it was debilitating. I was given a platelet test and turned out my platelet function is fine so that's apparently not the problem.

Anyway, last year I got my right nostril coterised and it stopped all my nosebleeds completely. Everything was fine and rosy

But then at the start of June I had about 3 nosebleeds on consecutive days - and I mean heavy, pouring out for as long as I let it, had to stand over the sink with cotton wool lodged in my nose to stop it for up to 20 minutes. As a result I felt crap through the blood loss as well as the mental hit of knowing that I was probably going to get one that day and would have to have plenty of tissues and hope I was in a private place to get it stopped.

Then, earlier this week, I had another one - and then 2 more the next couple days - only a minor one this morning thank god (though I'll have jinxed it now), but I work as a house cleaner and yesterday morning it started in someone's house and I had to go stand outside to get it to stop, very embarrassing while in a job where Im supposed to just get on with things and whatnot (though this embarrassment's besides the point).

Anyway, didn't make a correlation between nose-bleeds and my period before Mum mentioned it might be this the other day. My first set mentioned above came about a week before my period and had stopped just before I came on, and I came on today having had bleeds the past 3 days.

In short (haha) just wondering, do you think there may be a correlation? Im going to wait till next month and if the same pattern emerges Im going to go to my doctor with dates and things written down, as Im used to writing when things like this happen now after having to for the blood clinic last year. Whether it happens like that or whether I have a nose bleed at a random time Im going to go get a referral to the (nose) doctor again cos the coterisation worked last time and its the other nostril thats bleeding more this time.

Also, has anyone else been bothered with nose bleeds in this way? Its so frustrating! (sorry for the loooooong post)

ReputationRep:
    It might just be due to the warm weather, drying the inside of your nose and so haemorrhaging easily. I used to get them all the time in the Summer, they've pretty much stopped now though.

Wouldn't know about the periods, sorry. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Na, I've had spells of nosebleeds throughout the year in the past. Last time I was told I had a varicose vein in my nose, but Im convinced now there's a correlation between that time of the month and the bleeds - it's not been that warm anyway where I am :p: Im going to make an appointment with the doctor sometime this week - only if I can get my own doctor though, wont be stuck with any other one for this - got a female doctor for a GP and she actually LISTENS unlike most of the other GPs I've seen at that practice...

ReputationRep:
    20 minute long nosebleeds don't sound good. Mine used to last only 5 mins max!

They're soo annoying; I used to get them in the middle of the night, causing me to wake up immediately and run to the bathroom before getting any blood on my pillow or bedsheets, lol. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem my whole life, really bad nose bleeds. Just grew out of them in the end, but usually tiredness brought them on. I think I am safe to say that they had very little to do with periods!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    I just cleaned up the aftermath of nosebleed number 827462947294729043730. It's so annoying! Had mine cauterised a couple of years ago too- both nostrils (most painful thing i've even had done to me, i swear they're supposed to anaesthetise you but they didn't), didn't last long anyway. I get them all year round too, I think it's mostly to do with the heat/warm air even in the house. I've never thought it had a correlation with periods at all, try asking your doctor about it.

when I was younger, I used to get EITHER a nose-bleed OR my period, I don't know if this is relevant, but I think they could be linked somehow. This hasn't happened for quite a few years now, I usually just get both :/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies everyone - at the moment Im feeling really knackered - was at work on Tuesday and was finding my muscles tiring when dusting a skirting board lol, usually Im ok but periods are bad enough on their own without losing twice as much through nose bleeds as well.

Beesknees - I know what you mean about the pain - though I'd say getting my braces was more painful lol, but they didnt tell me they were cauterising my nostril the first time, they just went and did it and then told me to go sit outside with antiseptic cream on a tissue up it. Then there's the indignity of having a bit of cream sitting just inside your nose for a couple days to heal it up eurgh

ReputationRep:
    Heya! I'm amazed that someone else has this! I woke up two days ago with a nose bleed and instantly I knew I had come on my period.... I don't know why my body does it. It wasn't heavy, just a light trickle for about ten minutes and then everything was ok! How weiiird I don't think anything is wrong with us though. I just lodge a cold wet piece of tissue in my nose and it stops in a few minutes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clefairy_Clefairy)
    Heya! I'm amazed that someone else has this! I woke up two days ago with a nose bleed and instantly I knew I had come on my period.... I don't know why my body does it. It wasn't heavy, just a light trickle for about ten minutes and then everything was ok! How weiiird I don't think anything is wrong with us though. I just lodge a cold wet piece of tissue in my nose and it stops in a few minutes!
    I wouldnt be so worried if this was the case, but it goes on for at least 10 minutes, usually nearer 20, before stopping and its a lot more than a light trickle, often I go through 2 kleenexes saturated.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a nosebleed but my friend use to get them all the time and getting her nose coterised never helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    I wouldnt be so worried if this was the case, but it goes on for at least 10 minutes, usually nearer 20, before stopping and its a lot more than a light trickle, often I go through 2 kleenexes saturated.
    Argh, oh that doesn't sound fun you poor thing. Have you tried sticking the dense piece of wet tissue up your nose? It works for me.... The coldness seems to aid stopping the flow.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: holy crap!!! I think I have some form of this disease!!!
    All my life I've had amazingly heavy nosebleeds which last like half an hour; worst thing is in school when I was little and flooded my whole summer dress (it was soaked in blood, teacher nearly had a heart attack) Plus all the times I would get them in public, at my grans, at dance class...!!!
    Once when I was 3 I had one during the night and didn't realise, it was sooo heavy when my mum came to get me in the morning she thought I'd been stabbed or something because my whole face/chest was covered in blood and I'd slept through it...!
    Seriosuly, I've had hundredsssss, couldn't even count, and so does my cousin. She once flooded the whole houses towels with blood...scary. I got my nose cauterized and it didn't make any difference, byt tbh I haven't had one in probably a year (hopefully grown out of them, I used to have them like every month or so).
    Also, I bruise very easily, and the bruises don't go for ages. I'm covered in bruises right now, I always am. My mum said when I was little I always looked like I was being abused because my arms and legs were so covered in bruises. I also cut really easily, and my cuts don't go for agggges. Literally, I wore some new shoes to the corner shop about 10 minutes away, but I got scabs on the back of my feet from them and the scabs didn't go for about 4 wks, despite never having worn the shoes again. If I get a scab it won't go for agggggggggggggges.
    Only thing is I don't have particularly heavy periods?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I dunno about the period thing but I get really bad nosebleeds (just out of one nostril for some reason...) nearly everyday, and was just wondering how painful it is getting it cauterised? I'm a bit of a wimp lol

ReputationRep:
    Should have put a warning on this thread that post is graphic!

Do you have the same thing your gran has then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wEe_ScOtTisH_yIn)
    Hey, I dunno about the period thing but I get really bad nosebleeds (just out of one nostril for some reason...) nearly everyday, and was just wondering how painful it is getting it cauterised? I'm a bit of a wimp lol
    Didn't hurt me at all.
    Really, not at all. Mind you, it made no difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Didn't hurt me at all.
    Really, not at all. Mind you, it made no difference.
    Meh, I don't think I'll bother... doesn't bother me that much... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    :eek: holy crap!!! I think I have some form of this disease!!!
    All my life I've had amazingly heavy nosebleeds which last like half an hour; worst thing is in school when I was little and flooded my whole summer dress (it was soaked in blood, teacher nearly had a heart attack) Plus all the times I would get them in public, at my grans, at dance class...!!!
    Once when I was 3 I had one during the night and didn't realise, it was sooo heavy when my mum came to get me in the morning she thought I'd been stabbed or something because my whole face/chest was covered in blood and I'd slept through it...!
    Seriosuly, I've had hundredsssss, couldn't even count, and so does my cousin. She once flooded the whole houses towels with blood...scary. I got my nose cauterized and it didn't make any difference, byt tbh I haven't had one in probably a year (hopefully grown out of them, I used to have them like every month or so).
    Also, I bruise very easily, and the bruises don't go for ages. I'm covered in bruises right now, I always am. My mum said when I was little I always looked like I was being abused because my arms and legs were so covered in bruises. I also cut really easily, and my cuts don't go for agggges. Literally, I wore some new shoes to the corner shop about 10 minutes away, but I got scabs on the back of my feet from them and the scabs didn't go for about 4 wks, despite never having worn the shoes again. If I get a scab it won't go for agggggggggggggges.
    Only thing is I don't have particularly heavy periods?
    If you're really worried go to the doctors and tell him/her about your situation. Cutting easily isn't a symptom of Glanzmanns. Also, when you have nosebleeds do you just let it run out of your nose without trying to stop it? Best way I find to stop it is lodge tissue in your nose for 5 minute periods, lots of pressure helps it stop. Just leaving it to bleed will let it go on for a much longer period.

Because Glanzmann's is a very rare genetic disease, many people haven't been tested for it. The doctors originally thought my gran had Von Willabrands which is another form of bleeding disorder but on a different gene. An example of the sort of problem she had was she'd wake up in the night having had a nose bleed, her gums often bleed so she has to be put under general anaesthetic for fillings, and when she was little she almost bled to death having fallen off her bike and cut her knee.

I think the chance of being a carrier of the gene (having one copy of it instead of 2) is 50% if one parent is either a carrier or a sufferer. Mum never had bleeding nose or gums, but she had terribly heavy periods and bruises more easily than normal as well, so it is likely she is a carrier but there is as yet no test for carriers. If Mum is a carrier then I could be a carrier too, but obviously it's hard to tell as it doesn't show in the platelet function tests.

Dont get worried about having a disease until you know you have it - if you're worried see a doctor about it. If you've grown out of it then its most likely normal childhood nosebleeds that a lot of children are inflicted by.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto! I got the same problem and I have nosebleeding a day before my perriod, and I had it since I was 14, sometimes it was at night and I suddenly wake up with blood all over my face, I was convinced I saw a ghost when I look into a mirror. It seemed stopped for the last 2 years but it restarted again recently.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I have loadsss of nose bleeds, sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night because im choking on my blood as its all run into my mouthhh=[.
    Mine last for ages too and sometimes I get them days in a row, but I cant say that it has a thing to do with my periods lol.

=O and I get bruised really easily.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.