The Student Room Group

Using a computer in exams

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. What are the conditions necessary for someone to be allowed to use a computer in exams?

I realise that people with dyslexia/dyspraxia and such are in real need of computers, but what is the reasoning behind other people not being allowed to use them? It is much neater, less trouble for the examiners and, if properly controlled, there will be no opportunity to spell-check, use the internet and such.

I find that I spend a lot less time on a 3-page essay if it's written on a computer, rather than by hand. It's also much easier to organise, and no big crossing-outs (crossings-out? :p:). Wish I could use a computer in exams. :frown:
Reply 1
It would also be a lot more expensive though. Firstly, you would have to purchase enough for everyone (including spares if one decided to go wonky - can't happen with paper). Then you would have to severely limit them so that they couldn't be used for anything else, hence limiting their use outside of exams (i.e. schools couldn't then give them to students for research).

I don't see a problem with paper exams. Yeah, if you write loads it can hurt, and if you're left handed (like me) it can smudge. But I'd prefer writing to just learning how to type.
Probably the cost. Are there enough computers in a school/college to sit all exams when they need to be taken?
Reply 3
jonnyofengland
It would also be a lot more expensive though. Firstly, you would have to purchase enough for everyone (including spares if one decided to go wonky - can't happen with paper). Then you would have to severely limit them so that they couldn't be used for anything else, hence limiting their use outside of exams (i.e. schools couldn't then give them to students for research).

Yeah, you have a point. Didn't consider that.

I don't see a problem with paper exams. Yeah, if you write loads it can hurt, and if you're left handed (like me) it can smudge. But I'd prefer writing to just learning how to type.

I think it's unfortunate, though, that the quality of an exam response may be reduced because it is much harder to 'edit' what you have written on paper.
Reply 4
Someone I know uses a laptop in exams because she's got a problem with her wrist & can't write for long periods of time, not because she's dyslexic or anything.

It'd be bloody expensive for everyone though. Plus, what'd happen if a computer decided to crash halfway through an exam?
Reply 5
mildredo
Someone I know uses a laptop in exams because she's got a problem with her wrist & can't write for long periods of time, not because she's dyslexic or anything.

It'd be bloody expensive for everyone though. Plus, what'd happen if a computer decided to crash halfway through an exam?

That happened at my school twice. The first time they were given more time, the second time they had to write a report and hope that the exam board would give them their predicted grade.

I didn't do that subject :woo:
Reply 6
The control issue is moot.

Just allow students to bring in their own laptops and provide them with a locked down operating system LiveCD and a USB storage device. Give them the opportunity to test the system before the exam period and it's their own fault if they haven't been saving regularly when it crashes.
Reply 7
chevina
Yeah, you have a point. Didn't consider that.

I think it's unfortunate, though, that the quality of an exam response may be reduced because it is much harder to 'edit' what you have written on paper.

I'd be more annoyed that the quality of my exam response was limited due to the damn thing malfunctioning, freezing, whatever, if it cost me valuable time.

Also, some exams (like many sciences), have information leading to a question that goes on both pages in a double spread. From experience of past exam papers, it's very annoying and time consuming to have to keep scrolling up and down to get extra bits of information.

Also, for papers like maths, you would have to have two windows open: one with the question paper and one with the writable stuff. You wouldn't be able to look at both bits at the same time, like you can with paper. Not to mention that it would be bloody awkward to show all your method for simple things, let alone complex algorithms on a computer screen.
Reply 8
jonnyofengland
Also, for papers like maths, you would have to have two windows open: one with the question paper and one with the writable stuff. You wouldn't be able to look at both bits at the same time, like you can with paper. Not to mention that it would be bloody awkward to show all your method for simple things, let alone complex algorithms on a computer screen.

At my school, even people with dyslexia did maths papers by hand. :confused:
Reply 9
chevina
At my school, even people with dyslexia did maths papers by hand. :confused:

Yes cause its not possible for them to convert a maths paper ( diagrams, graphs etc) To a computer. Well it is but could you imagine trying to to draw something accuratly with a mousepad?
Reply 10
MrMat18
Yes cause its not possible for them to convert a maths paper ( diagrams, graphs etc) To a computer. Well it is but could you imagine trying to to draw something accuratly with a mousepad?

Yeah. Totally random, but that reminds me of this Harry Potter game where you had to move the mouse in the shape of the curse/jinx/whatever - it was nearly impossible without a laptop mouse. :p:
Reply 11
chevina
Yeah. Totally random, but that reminds me of this Harry Potter game where you had to move the mouse in the shape of the curse/jinx/whatever - it was nearly impossible without a laptop mouse. :p:

Not a fan of Harry...
Ahhh if only it were allowed. I would get so much more written. I'm a much faster typer than writer and I wouldn't have to slow down to make my writing legible. AND I wouldn't get hand cramp. *sigh* Not fair.
I get really annoyed and distracted by the sound of one person typing on a keyboard...I cant imagine what a whole hall of people typing would sound like!
Wouldn't people be more able to see what you've written too?
chevina

:O
I played that game! :biggrin:

But ch'yeah, I think it's still important to be able to write by hand coherently, and I say that as someone who has illegible handwriting.
Reply 15
Bump :biggrin:
I had a question. Is there any rule that says you can't use a computer in exams? I mean, if all students doing that exam agree to it, would they be allowed to use one?

All theoretical of course. :p:
Reply 16
Soundsfamiliar
I get really annoyed and distracted by the sound of one person typing on a keyboard...I cant imagine what a whole hall of people typing would sound like!
Wouldn't people be more able to see what you've written too?

Scratching pens and pencils are just as annoying. Plus, in an exam you're "in the zone", so probably won't notice so much.

And the glare off a monitor at an acute angle would make it far more difficult to read than in the current setup.

Latest

Trending

Trending