Suggesting role of viral RNA in the production of viral proteins

Watch
ChloeYeo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Q. The flu vaccination must be given each year because there are frequent mutations in the RNA of the virus.
The antigens on the surface of the virus are made of protein.
The virus uses the organelles and enzymes in the host's cells to produce new copies of itself.

Suggest the role of the viral RNA in the production of viral proteins (2 marks).

Official mark scheme answer:
Viral RNA, acts as, host cell/m, RNA (1 mark)
RNA, carries, code/sequence (for viral protein (1 mark) to ribosomes (1 mark).

I understand the mark scheme answer is right, but would my original answer gain any mark as well?
my original ans was:
- viral RNA is translated to form polypeptide chain of viral protein.

What I don't get is why is it only gaining mark for saying the Viral RNA carry code/sequence for viral protein TO RIBOSOMES?
why would it be wrong if I say it's TRANSLATED?
Isn't it the same thing?

Please help thanks so much
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ChloeYeo)
Q. The flu vaccination must be given each year because there are frequent mutations in the RNA of the virus.
The antigens on the surface of the virus are made of protein.
The virus uses the organelles and enzymes in the host's cells to produce new copies of itself.

Suggest the role of the viral RNA in the production of viral proteins (2 marks).

Official mark scheme answer:
Viral RNA, acts as, host cell/m, RNA (1 mark)
RNA, carries, code/sequence (for viral protein (1 mark) to ribosomes (1 mark).

I understand the mark scheme answer is right, but would my original answer gain any mark as well?
my original ans was:
- viral RNA is translated to form polypeptide chain of viral protein.

What I don't get is why is it only gaining mark for saying the Viral RNA carry code/sequence for viral protein TO RIBOSOMES?
why would it be wrong if I say it's TRANSLATED?
Isn't it the same thing?

Please help thanks so much
This is exactly the reason why I dislike A-Level Biology markschemes. You can essentially say the correct answer but if it isn't word for word, you get 0 marks.

Take this as a learning experience. In future make sure to literally spell out everything, don't assume the examiner is going to assume you know about the ribosome etc.
Jpw1097
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
This is exactly the reason why I dislike A-Level Biology markschemes. You can essentially say the correct answer but if it isn't word for word, you get 0 marks.

Take this as a learning experience. In future make sure to literally spell out everything, don't assume the examiner is going to assume you know about the ribosome etc.
I couldn’t agree more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (29)
15.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (56)
29.47%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
39.47%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.16%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.63%

Watched Threads