Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon. or delete.

I seem to suffer from a range of sleeping problems, I can live with taking ages to get to sleep or sleeping very little but the one thing I am finding quite hard to cope with is the nightmares.

Since I was little I can always remember having nightmares, ones that would reoccur lots. But since the last couple of years I now have several nightmares a week and even a few every night. Sometimes when I wake up from them I can't even physically move, even if I wanted to (which sometimes I don't because I'm too scared ).

My nightmares can sometimes be violent, but I myself am not violent at all. I hate violence and don't even watch TV programmes or films which are violent/scary.

So to sum it up I was just wondering what people would suggest I could do? It's been happening for such a time now that I have become used to these dreams, but I would like to get rid of them ideally. Any advice would be really welcome

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest seeing the doctor who might be able to figure this out better than us, there's obviously something on your mind.

Aw dude, I feel ya. I used to have AWFUL nightmares when I was younger, so much that I'd pray not to have them before I went to sleep!

Anyway, the reasoning behind dreams/nightmares is that it's your mind playing out what happened during your day, as well as mixing it all up with some unconscious feelings/thoughts.

If you're getting a lot of nightmares, could it be possible that you're under a bit of stress at the minute? Are you feeling worried about something? Think of ways to relieve your tension - it might be nice to start doing some relaxing activities before bed like some simple yoga positions, or to start keeping a diary to get all the 'bad' feelings out of your head before you go to sleep.

When you were saying about not being able to physically move, it sounds like you might be suffering from night terrors so if these continue, it might be an idea to go and see a doctor.

Overall, try and feel as relaxed and happy as you can before you go to sleep, and see if they get any better. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon. or delete.

I seem to suffer from a range of sleeping problems, I can live with taking ages to get to sleep or sleeping very little but the one thing I am finding quite hard to cope with is the nightmares.

Since I was little I can always remember having nightmares, ones that would reoccur lots. But since the last couple of years I now have several nightmares a week and even a few every night. Sometimes when I wake up from them I can't even physically move, even if I wanted to (which sometimes I don't because I'm too scared ).

My nightmares can sometimes be violent, but I myself am not violent at all. I hate violence and don't even watch TV programmes or films which are violent/scary.

So to sum it up I was just wondering what people would suggest I could do? It's been happening for such a time now that I have become used to these dreams, but I would like to get rid of them ideally. Any advice would be really welcome
    I have many reoccuring nightmares! You just have to remember they are only dreams at the end of the day! And there is no possible way they can hurt you!

ReputationRep:
    I still have nightmares. How do I deal with them... I get up and watch something on TV to take my mind off it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had fairly frequent and horrifying nightmares since I was little but I've become desensitised to them too. They don't really bother me most the time, but sometimes they can upset me a bit if they're about certain things.

Though I know why I get them really, I can tell they're quite often linked to certain issues I may have, things that have recently upset me, or upsetting past events. If this is the same for you, and you have any idea why they may be happening, then try to confront these feelings either by talking to someone or writing a diary.. helped me. I think recurring ones are often linked to such things, I know mine were anyways.

Though if there is absolutely no explanation for them, it is probably best to see a doctor. Even if you are used to them, it would still be better for you to see if there's any way they can help you to get a peaceful night.

ReputationRep:

Sometimes when I wake up from them I can't even physically move, even if I wanted to (which sometimes I don't because I'm too scared ).
    I get this with or without nightmares - normally i focus on moving a finger or something, and after a bit I can - it is terrifying though... I feel for you..

I usually find sleeping with someone else in the room helps! (and I mean this in a 'friend' sense) However that isn't usually practical.. sometimes I read before bed, but a lighthearted novel, as it tends to make me think about nice things before I sleep, and generally I find a correlation between nice thoughts and less nightmares... just thinking about the cliché stuff like waterfalls/peaceful scenes before sleep can help as well. Ugh, also, cringe as it sounds, a cuddly toy can help a lot in terms of comforting as you sleep/wake up from a nightmare.

As some people have said, being stressed really doesn't help with nightmares, maybe you have some other issues that need sorting?
    I have the same problem myself, and find the most proactive thing you can do about it besides actually seeing someone about the nightmares is find ways to comfort yourself after, it takes the edge off things...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.