Turn on thread page Beta

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ^^ would my A-level results hinder applying to IB's?

ReputationRep:
    well I have heard the filter is set at aab so they will if you don't have contacts..

ReputationRep:
    with those grades u cant get through to interview.

u need at least ABB/AAB.

even with those, its still tough.

bt thats life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    with those grades u cant get through to interview.

u need at least ABB/AAB.

even with those, its still tough.

bt thats life...
    you going to nottz then jibzy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inter-Company)
    you going to nottz then jibzy
    I missed the offer.

I got AAB. and not AAA
    exeter is ma insurance, which is fine by me.
    bt people are advising that a take a year off to resit my unit 6 economics paper so i can have AAA overall and re-apply to nottingham and get in.

im still confused. my focus is on the long-term and on Job prospects. Im trying to weight up how much a Nottz degree would add value compared to exeter in terms of grad prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    I missed the offer.

I got AAB. and not AAA
    bt people are advising that a take a year off to resit my unit 6 economics paper so i can have AAA overall and re-apply to nottingham and get in.

im still confused. my focus is on the long-term and on Job prospects. Im trying to weight up how much a Nottz degree would add value compared to exeter in terms of grad prospects.
    a masters at lse will be better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    a masters at lse will be better
    yeah. bt that doesnt help matters in the short term!!!
    a masters could help probably in the next 7 years.
    bt in the next 3 years.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    I missed the offer.

I got AAB. and not AAA

ah i'm sorry man

how much did you miss the A by on your third a-level?

the thing that is different with you is that you will have w/e that not many 1st years will have under there belt

ReputationRep:
    ah i'm sorry man

how much did you miss the A by on your third a-level?

the thing that is different with you is that you will have w/e that not many 1st years will have under there belt

it was in economics that i fell down a grade, which is unexpected. Economics was meant to be my best subject and ironically, i got A's in history and Gegraphy, which are my worst subjects.
    last years economics UMS was 276/300. I guess that forced me to take my eyes off it abit and focus on more pressing things that needed improving.
    bt im confident i can just re-sit unit 6, which is marked out of 120- i think i could score a confident 110/120, so that should boost my overall grades to AAA.
    bt what do u think about me taking a year out to work and do that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    it was in economics that i fell down a grade, which is unexpected. Economics was meant to be my best subject and ironically, i got A's in history and Gegraphy, which are my worst subjects.
    last years economics UMS was 276/300. I guess that forced me to take my eyes off it abit and focus on more pressing things that needed improving.
    bt im confident i can just re-sit unit 6, which is marked out of 120- i think i could score a confident 110/120, so that should boost my overall grades to AAA.
    bt what do u think about me taking a year out to work and do that ?
    depends how nottz see re-sits...effectively you have taken 3 years to do what most people who apply to economics at nottz do in 2 years (its a competitive course after all)

i would stick with exeter, you've got the w/e on your side which is an added plus - see if you get into IB, if not, then go do a masters

ReputationRep:
    depends how nottz see re-sits...effectively you have taken 3 years to do what most people who apply to economics at nottz do in 2 years (its a competitive course after all)

i would stick with exeter, you've got the w/e on your side which is an added plus - see if you get into IB, if not, then go do a masters
    Ill call Joe Morgan, the Nottingham admin tutor to ask and ill see what she thinks about it....
    I got mainly based on my Personal statement. I didnt have 3A's at AS level. so im guesin they obv so saw someone with deep enthus. for the course. Hopefully that wouldnt be forgotten...

ReputationRep:
    I just spke to the admin. tutor. she said, its fine, and that she would look favourably on my application when i re-apply with AAA. she said she remembers me having a brilliant personal statement, and she look fowards to another application from me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    I just spke to the admin. tutor. she said, its fine, and that she would look favourably on my application when i re-apply with AAA. she said she remembers me having a brilliant personal statement, and she look fowards to another application from me....
    mate trust me take that with a pinch of salt

ReputationRep:
    mate trust me take that with a pinch of salt
    obv, nothing is guranteed. bt i can say its a case of "more likely"

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you only apply to notts and write that in your personal statement you are likely to get an offer

ReputationRep:
    What is my chance of working in banking.

I never did A levels. I have done a foundation course in general engineering, i got a perfect score of 15 in every subject and i am going to the university of Bath for mechanical engineering but i could switch to Aeronautical engineering.

ReputationRep:
    If you have really good GCSEs, do the big banks like that or are the indifferent?

ReputationRep:
    in my experience, indifferent.

ReputationRep:
    i know this may sound trivial, my GCSE Eng lang is C (eng lit. is B). Is the minium requirement B or C for IB's

ReputationRep:
    nobody cares what you, or anyone, for that matter, got for GCSEs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.