Turn on thread page Beta

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100)
    Well they could do the job but with no HR support etc. but back office is not more prestigious!!
    HR support isn't the only thing Back Office does. It includes other support functions, such as Finance, execution, compliance, etc...

So, without good Back Office, a Bank is screwed.

And if you're after prestige, Banking will only be interesting for the first few months. The ones who burn out first are usually the ones who joined for the prestige only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    HR support isn't the only thing Back Office does. It includes other support functions, such as Finance, execution, compliance, etc...

So, without good Back Office, a Bank is screwed.

And if you're after prestige, Banking will only be interesting for the first few months. The ones who burn out first are usually the ones who joined for the prestige only.
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you seriously suggesting that a BO job is better than a FO job? That's crazy!

Execution is FO!

Nobody burns out after a few months unless they just don't enjoy it but then that's pretty much a different reason. Suggesting that a "better" role is one in the back office is just ignorant of the practical realities of career hunting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100)
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you seriously suggesting that a BO job is better than a FO job? That's crazy!

Execution is FO!

Nobody burns out after a few months unless they just don't enjoy it but then that's pretty much a different reason. Suggesting that a "better" role is one in the back office is just ignorant of the practical realities of career hunting.
    I'm just making a point and no, I'm not saying that BO is better. Naturally, I'm interested in the markets so I'm applying for FO. But when you give advice, try and make it unbiased. It's better if people make their decisions themselves. FO isn't for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    First year undergrad at Cardiff, studying Economics. Hope to get a first. A*AA at A level and straght A's and *s at GCSEs effectively. Basically want to ask a simple question, as to what the likelyhood is of me getting an internship next summer, and also in my long term prospects of a career in investment banking.

I understand going to Cardiff, which is far from ideal could hold me back. But I wanted to see the opinion of others. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    6 A*s at GCSE. I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem, Economics. Assuming I get AAAA Do I have a decent chance at one of the top 5?

ReputationRep:
    Hey what do you think I have a chance of landing a BO job in a BB?

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
    A-Level: Italian (B), History (A), Biology (B)
    2:1 in Biomedicine from a Redbrick uni

After graduation got a temp job in account management in medical marketing for a few months to gain basic .office/admin experience.

ECs: grade 5 clarinet, volunteering as chief accountant at NSPCC, hobbies are acting and
    dancing

What are chances ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    Hey what do you think I have a chance of landing a BO job in a BB?

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
    A-Level: Italian (B), History (A), Biology (B)
    2:1 in Biomedicine from a Redbrick uni

After graduation got a temp job in account management in medical marketing for a few months to gain basic .office/admin experience.

ECs: grade 5 clarinet, volunteering as chief accountant at NSPCC, hobbies are acting and
    dancing

What are chances ?
    I don't see why not. I would apply and read up on the industry.

ReputationRep:
    This will be my profile next year when entering the job market:

BA Tourism Management from a small university in Austria
    MSc Marketing & Strategy from Warwick Business School (planning to write a project-based dissertation with a company)

- have spent an exchange semester in Sweden
    - have done a 6-month internship with great responsibilities at a tourism company in Canada
    - have taken a summer course in Strategic Management at LSE
    - fluent in German, French, English, Spanish and have taken 3 years of Russian

What are my chances of getting a job at one of the big consultancy firms? Am I screwed because I focused on tourism after my A-levels? Can the MSc from Warwick make up for this at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    This will be my profile next year when entering the job market:

BA Tourism Management from a small university in Austria
    MSc Marketing & Strategy from Warwick Business School (planning to write a project-based dissertation with a company)

- have spent an exchange semester in Sweden
    - have done a 6-month internship with great responsibilities at a tourism company in Canada
    - have taken a summer course in Strategic Management at LSE
    - fluent in German, French, English, Spanish and have taken 3 years of Russian

What are my chances of getting a job at one of the big consultancy firms? Am I screwed because I focused on tourism after my A-levels? Can the MSc from Warwick make up for this at all?
    In my opinion your chances would be better if you tried to break into consultancy at an office in Germany/Austria and then perhaps transferred to London once you're in (I can't think of a major consultancy that does not have offices in Germany and/or Austria). Undergraduate business degrees (I'm treating tourism management as a sub-branch of business/BWL here) aren't hugely popular among top UK employers, plus your masters from Warwick would probably count more there than it does here.

EDIT: Or at the very least I would submit an application to offices in Germany/Austria (a lot of consultancies let you pick several offices to apply to) in addition to those in the UK.

EDIT2: Why on Earth are people negging you for that post?

ReputationRep:
    Pub manager

ReputationRep:
    Looks like I change to chemsitry at Warwick, sweet
    Would there be any differentiation between these in terms of an IB application:
    Chem
    Mchem
    Chem with management
    Chem with medicinal chem ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honoris)
    Looks like I change to chemsitry at Warwick, sweet
    Would there be any differentiation between these in terms of an IB application:
    Chem
    Mchem
    Chem with management
    Chem with medicinal chem ?
    IBs aren't that obsessed with courses. You may be better of choosing Management in this case as Chemistry is a really tough degree and the Management units may lower your workload.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    roughly my profile:

Bachelor with the major in International Business at a University in Germany, graduated among the top 10% of my class.
    MA Management and Organizational Analysis at Warwick Business School coming fall.

Good enough for BB IB FO?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Me: GCSE's: 8 C''s yes i know there sh*te
    A levels (predicted): Business Studies A Economics A History B
    Degree: Financial Management Hull University (prof experience) hopefully in a small/medium IB
    Work Experience: pizza takeaway (2 and a half yrs), Greggs (a year), Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers (2 weeks)
    EC's: Financial director young enterprise, starting trading portfolio next summer.

What do you guys recommend i do to enhance my CV particularly ECs to pursue a career in IB preferably FO.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United...)
    Me: GCSE's: 8 C''s yes i know there sh*te
    A levels (predicted): Business Studies A Economics A History B
    Degree: Financial Management Hull University (prof experience) hopefully in a small/medium IB
    Work Experience: pizza takeaway (2 and a half yrs), Greggs (a year), Redmayne Bentley Stockbrokers (2 weeks)
    EC's: Financial director young enterprise, starting trading portfolio next summer.

What do you guys recommend i do to enhance my CV particularly ECs to pursue a career in IB preferably FO.
    Cheers
    I recommend you don't go to Hull.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    roughly my profile:

Bachelor with the major in International Business at a University in Germany, graduated among the top 10% of my class.
    MA Management and Organizational Analysis at Warwick Business School coming fall.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Out of sheer curiosity:

GCSE: 4A, 5B, 1C, 1D.
    A levels: A Maths B Media C French b Further Maths
    Degree: 1st in straight maths from Royal Holloway
    EC's/Work exp: Let's assume I have none. (which I probably don't, none of much relevence)

My parents keep pushing me to at least find out about IB. I had extenuating circumstances at A level, but I'm reluctant to ever really tell an employer that just to get in, since it'd feel like taking advantage of a bad situation (illness/bereavement at AS). What would I be looking at exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Out of sheer curiosity:

GCSE: 4A, 5B, 1C, 1D.
    A levels: A Maths B Media C French b Further Maths
    Degree: 1st in straight maths from Royal Holloway
    EC's/Work exp: Let's assume I have none. (which I probably don't, none of much relevence)

My parents keep pushing me to at least find out about IB. I had extenuating circumstances at A level, but I'm reluctant to ever really tell an employer that just to get in, since it'd feel like taking advantage of a bad situation (illness/bereavement at AS). What would I be looking at exactly?
    Doing IB because your parents want to brag to the neighbours is a pretty horrible idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    Doing IB because your parents want to brag to the neighbours is a pretty horrible idea.
    No point dismissing something without having a go though is there? Besides, it's more a passing curiosity that could delve into more if I can get a foot in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mickeydee)
    Hey guys,
    roughly my profile:

Thank you.
    Anyone can be good enough for IB.

There's no magic formula - every job requires different skills (i put this in another post elsewhere):

Sales: communication
    Trading: Decision making/analytical
    Research: Analytical/Writing
    Finance/Ops: Accuracy, reliability
    IBD: Bit of everything, but more so bloody hard work.

SO, my point is that this thread almost doesn't need to exist. ANYONE can be good enough to work in IB. I know guys from all sorts of unis, all sorts of backgrounds and all sorts of education that work in IB.

Do what you enjoy with your life, then apply. If you get in, you get in. If not, re-evaluate and move on. It's not the be all and end all.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.