Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abh1shek)
    . I've got an internship down with Bain this summer (dad's contacts)
    :lolwut: Is your Dad the CEO of Bain? Didn't think this kind of thing was possible in big-time banking/consulting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    :lolwut: Is your Dad the CEO of Bain? Didn't think this kind of thing was possible in big-time banking/consulting...
    easily possible. lots of people around at the big banks who are interning or shadowing because they (or more likely, one of their relatives) know someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    easily possible. lots of people around at the big banks who are interning or shadowing because they (or more likely, one of their relatives) know someone
    Yea but are we talking proper internship schemes or just convincing someone to let you make coffee for them for a week?

ReputationRep:
    Ok after reading this thread I have a couple of questions.

1) Are academic grades/institution really that important? Surely if you have what it takes and truly are smart with money; can you not get into a bank somewhere and work your way up? Or would your lack of grades/right University hold you back to much?

2) Would a master's in finance or Investment Banking & Securities at London school of business and finance be worth doing, to get a job in banking and ultimately IB? Also, the degree would be from Portsmouth University either a 2:1 or a 1st. Other grades are BTEC in IT grade DM and only a few GCSE's between A-C. Also, two week unpaid intern at Orange's finance team

I know people will say I have no chance because of the uni/grades etc, but worth a try

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoChance)
    Ok after reading this thread I have a couple of questions.

1) Are academic grades/institution really that important? Surely if you have what it takes and truly are smart with money; can you not get into a bank somewhere and work your way up? Or would your lack of grades/right University hold you back to much?

2) Would a master's in finance at London school of business and finance be worth doing, to get a job in banking and ultimately IB? Also, the degree would be from Portsmouth University either a 2:1 or a 1st. Other grades are BTEC in IT grade DM and only a few GCSE's between A-C. Also, two week unpaid intern at Orange's finance team

I know people will say I have no chance because of the uni/grades etc, but worth a try

Thanks for the advice
    You are going to struggle to get FO roles coming from Portsmouth with no A-levels. You might be able to get interviews for BO roles likes Ops if you have some good experience (like Orange) and some good ECs. So I suppose on what sort of role you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    You are going to struggle to get FO roles coming from Portsmouth with no A-levels. You might be able to get interviews for BO roles likes Ops if you have some good experience (like Orange) and some good ECs. So I suppose on what sort of role you want to do.
    Ok this question wont help my case but what does FO, BO, EC's and Ops mean?

Also, what about the master's idea at LSBF, will it help? Or something like the CFA qualification along side a masters?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok this question wont help my case but what does FO, BO and Ops mean?

Also, what about the master's idea at LSBF, will it help?

Thanks
    FO - Front Office (Revenue generating roles generally)
    BO - Back Office (Support Functions including Operations)

There are some good videos here that explain the different jobs.

http://www.careerplayer.com/careers/...nvestment.aspx

Before you dive into a masters I suggest you do research on the industry and decide whether it is for you.

ReputationRep:
    investment banking is so rubbish

just get a normal job like normal people you nerds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    As well as university and course comparisons, we seem to be getting a lot of threads asking "Am I good enough for IB/C" with something about someone's grades, university, extra curriculars, work experience, etc. This thread is for all those questions.
    Urgh, what a boring way to live life

ReputationRep:

Before you dive into a masters I suggest you do research on the industry and decide whether it is for you.
    Ok thanks for the help, say I decided the industry is for me would a master's help or not? And is LSBF a respected educational institution?

Again thanks for the help

If there is any other places to help my research it would be much appreciated if you or anyone else could give me an idea of the best places to look

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owpowpowp)
    Urgh, what a boring way to live life
    So is wasting time posting on a thread that doesn't interest you

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the help, say I decided the industry is for me would a master's help or not? And is LSBF a respected educational institution?

Again thanks for the help

If there is any other places to help my research it would be much appreciated if you or anyone else could give me an idea of the best places to look

Thanks
    It probably would help depending on what department you wanted to work in, but I don't really know how respected it is and whether it would be worth the money. You could waste a year and a pile of cash and be no further forward. They are hiring you, not your CV.

ReputationRep:
    So is wasting time posting on a thread that doesn't interest you
    Oh no, this isn't boring at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasteman)
    investment banking is so rubbish

just get a normal job like normal people you nerds
    Shutup and start collecting the rubbish you wasteman.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    Right. So there are investment bankers and wastemen. And nothing in between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owpowpowp)
    Right. So there are investment bankers and wastemen. And nothing in between.
    The guy's username is wasteman after all

ReputationRep:
    think youre sik?

ill be your boss loser youLL NEVER BE AN INVESTMENT BANKER

ull be a clerk at best with 30000 a year job and a ****ty misreable life

idiiaaaat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasteman)
    think youre sik?

ill be your boss loser youLL NEVER BE AN INVESTMENT BANKER

ull be a clerk at best with 30000 a year job and a ****ty misreable life

idiiaaaat
    Learn to spell, it helps when writing covering letters.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to spell, it helps when writing covering letters.
    i ain planin on bein a loser "investment banker" like you

so i wont need it]

and no i don wannna be a binman

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.