The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2280
About to apply for graduate analyst positions. I just completed the third year of a Masters degree in Physics at Oxford and should get a First next year. Even with this I'm worried its not enough because I have no work experience whatsoever.

I applied for summer internships through the SEO scheme last year but was rejected, and by then it was too late to apply directly to the banks for FO roles (I know I should've gone for BO just to get some experience).

Question is, do I have a chance?
I think academically I am ok:

5 A*s, 7 As and 2 Bs at GCSE
AAAA at A-level in French, English, Maths and Economics (and a B in AS Further Maths)

admittedly my first year results at university were pretty poor (1 mark off a 2.1)

but my main concern is that I have absolutely no relevant work experience in the IB industry, and I know a bit about it but in comparison to some of my friends, my knowledge is extremely limited.

Will the lack of a Spring Week count against me in the application process for internships? Obviously I'm going to get as clued up as possible in terms of knowledge of the industry, but where would be a good place to start?
Original post by celebretty
I think academically I am ok:

5 A*s, 7 As and 2 Bs at GCSE
AAAA at A-level in French, English, Maths and Economics (and a B in AS Further Maths)

admittedly my first year results at university were pretty poor (1 mark off a 2.1)

but my main concern is that I have absolutely no relevant work experience in the IB industry, and I know a bit about it but in comparison to some of my friends, my knowledge is extremely limited.

Will the lack of a Spring Week count against me in the application process for internships? Obviously I'm going to get as clued up as possible in terms of knowledge of the industry, but where would be a good place to start?

Obviously your application won't be as strong without a Spring Week but that wont hold you back.

Which uni are you at?

Good start will be to learn as much as you can and network with anyone you know in the industry - try to use some contacts to get some work shadowing/a couple of weeks unpaid experience if you can.

Which division are you aiming for?
Reply 2283
Original post by The_Don_123
Obviously your application won't be as strong without a Spring Week but that wont hold you back.

Which uni are you at?

Good start will be to learn as much as you can and network with anyone you know in the industry - try to use some contacts to get some work shadowing/a couple of weeks unpaid experience if you can.

Obviously LSE.
Original post by TomasK

Original post by TomasK
Obviously LSE.

Did I miss something?
Did I miss something?

His signature above
Original post by Zweihander
Whatever your opinion of Warwick it doesnt change the fact that year on year, a significant proportion of front office summer interns and grads come from Warwick and like I said |Warwick is in the core group of universities targeted by all of the major investment banks. This however cannot be said for Durham. Not knocking Durham, it's a pretty good uni, but just doesnt compare to the targets in terms of FO recruitment.

Last year more Durham grads started FO roles at JPM than Oxbridge and LSE combined. It may be different at other IBs though. I went to quite a few ACs for asset management and there was quite a proportion from unis one would associate with the top 10 rather than top 6
Expecting all Bs and As in Maths and Science at GCSE. (Little work etc)
Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics AS. Hoping for AAA after A2.

Would I be good enough?

Which uni are you at?

I'm at LSE studying Economic History with Economics. In terms of division, I got an interview with Goldman Sachs for a Spring Week in the Finance Division, and although I wasn't successful, the finance side of it seems to match my interests, so probably that
Reply 2289
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
Expecting all Bs and As in Maths and Science at GCSE. (Little work etc)
Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics AS. Hoping for AAA after A2.

Would I be good enough?

AAA at A2 is quite ambitious from those GCSE grades, but I think the most important things are getting an internship and getting into a good uni so just concentrate on getting into a good uni for now.
Original post by deejayy
AAA at A2 is quite ambitious from those GCSE grades, but I think the most important things are getting an internship and getting into a good uni so just concentrate on getting into a good uni for now.

It's ambitious but I've basically done no revision for anything and just turned up to exams etc. Obviously I'm not naive enough to think I can do this at A-level.
I should/could of gotten A's/A*'s had I applied myself.
I'm predicted 12 A* at GCSE, am doing Maths, Economics, History and German at AS (possibly French and Italian too), and am hoping for A* grades in at least Maths. Would you say I'm good enough? The only trouble with getting experience in this sector is the only opportunities start after A2.
Original post by JOR2010
I'm predicted 12 A* at GCSE, am doing Maths, Economics, History and German at AS (possibly French and Italian too), and am hoping for A* grades in at least Maths. Would you say I'm good enough? The only trouble with getting experience in this sector is the only opportunities start after A2.

You can't tell, grades at school matter little beyond getting AAA. What matters is what you do after school (i.e. during your uni years)
Original post by fudgesundae
You can't tell, grades at school matter little beyond getting AAA. What matters is what you do after school (i.e. during your uni years)

Purely in terms of academics, is it that important though? Assuming you get into a good university, you need to get a 2:1 or above which most people seem to get.

Or do you mean in terms of internships etc.
Original post by IceWater
Purely in terms of academics, is it that important though? Assuming you get into a good university, you need to get a 2:1 or above which most people seem to get.

Or do you mean in terms of internships etc.

Yeh sorry, I meant SWs, internships, showing an interest (socs) etc. 2.1 and AAA is what you need academics wise.

Yeah, that's the problem. I was planning on doing Economics at one of the very good universities (Top 5), so I guess that's the only real way to do it!
Reply 2296
Has JPMorgan opened for 2012 summer internship apps yet? It doesn't seem to have done..
Reply 2297
Original post by JOR2010

Do further maths if you plan on applying for economics.
Original post by JOR2010

Thats not true there are programmes out there for Year 12 + 13 you just have to look for them!
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
I should/could of gotten A's/A*'s had I applied myself.

But you didn't apply yourself - what makes you think you'll be able to fully apply yourself at A Level, if at GCSE you knew you could have done more and still didn't (harsh, but I'm just trying to give you my opinion).

In terms of those grades, I'm not actually sure - they'd be looking for good results at A Level and university so you'd have to wait and see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending