Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolat321)
    Is the degree more important or the university more important for IB?
    neither, in your case.

(Original post by fieryiceissweet)
    university
    for about the billionth time this has been asked

unless university reputation is close between choices, and one is for BSc econ and the other is for BA media studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    neither, in your case.
    Sorry, I had quoted the wrong post. I wanted an answer to the one about BSc Management at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    what about BSc Management from LSE?
    management - AAB

personally, i'd pick the following AAB (or below) courses, in that order:

BSc Mathematics and Economics
    BSc Economics and Economic History
    BSc Accounting and Finance

ReputationRep:
    so do u work in an investment bank now uthinkilltellu? and what Uni did you go to? lol though perhaps your name suggests you might not tell me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Micky13)
    so do u work in an investment bank now uthinkilltellu?
    no, not now.

and what Uni did you go to?
    Open Uni

lol though perhaps your name suggests you might not tell me
    i see myself as something of a contrarian.

ReputationRep:
    no, not now.
    interesting....so did you earn your money and get out the game while your young i'm guessing?

ReputationRep:
    interesting....so did you earn your money and get out the game while your young i'm guessing?
    no. credit crunched --> university.

ReputationRep:
    no. credit crunched --> university.
    ahhh **** you got offloaded?...how many in your year group at the bank got "the treatment"?

ReputationRep:
    ahhh **** you got offloaded?...how many in your year group at the bank got "the treatment"?
    no.

finish school -> gap year temping in a bank -> US housing defaults rise -> bank realises what **** its in -> traders are still taking 'risky' positions -> bank crucifies the trading floor -> my boss (assoc), her boss (VP), his boss (SVP) and his boss (MD) get sacked -> MO/BO (where i'm at) gets 'restructured' -> a good time to start preparing for uni.

ReputationRep:
    management - AAB

personally, i'd pick the following AAB (or below) courses, in that order:

BSc Mathematics and Economics
    BSc Economics and Economic History
    BSc Accounting and Finance
    OK, thanks. But what are the chances of getting into IB with a management degree from LSE?

ReputationRep:
    no.

finish school -> gap year temping in a bank -> US housing defaults rise -> bank realises what **** its in -> traders are still taking 'risky' positions -> bank crucifies the trading floor -> my boss (assoc), her boss (VP), his boss (SVP) and his boss (MD) get sacked -> MO/BO (where i'm at) gets 'restructured' -> a good time to start preparing for uni.
    ahhhhh right...bloody hell..it sounds so brutal lol....and yeh, im glad im not applying until my second year!!!..hopefully things will have calmed down by then....though i might just sod IB all together and go for city law...

ReputationRep:
    though i might just sod IB all together and go for city law...
    I'm thinking the same thing. Looking at engineering internships now. I'm so split and undecided. argh. I've put so much effort into researching investment banking, most of my spare time. All for nothing if I decide to go down the engineering route.

I'm passionate about both. Need to decide soon, before I get cracking on the summer applications.

So much pressure. What happened to the good old days where you could worry about a job after you graduate. Saying that most of my friends don't seem to be worrying about gaining experience. Maybe I should be doing film studies and not worrying about the future until it comes along and bites me in the arse. rant over :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    I'm thinking the same thing. Looking at engineering internships now. I'm so split and undecided. argh. I've put so much effort into researching investment banking, most of my spare time. All for nothing if I decide to go down the engineering route.

I'm passionate about both. Need to decide soon, before I get cracking on the summer applications.

So much pressure. What happened to the good old days where you could worry about a job after you graduate. Saying that most of my friends don't seem to be worrying about gaining experience. Maybe I should be doing film studies and not worrying about the future until it comes along and bites me in the arse. rant over :p:
    lol if only i could just graduate and then piss off to vegas and become a pro poker player earn millions..chill...party...it would save a lot of hassle lol

ReputationRep:
    lol if only i could just graduate and then piss off to vegas and become a pro poker player earn millions..chill...party...it would save a lot of hassle lol
    its not all that...

http://www.wassonline.com/poker-foru...t-get-pro.html

theres a better article somewhere can't seem to dig it up.

Infact you can relate a few of those points to investment banking

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks. But what are the chances of getting into IB with a management degree
    poor

from LSE?
    excellent

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be a ridiculously long post, so apologies in advance.

I am about to start my third year of a PPE degree at Oxford (Hilda's). I was not particularly interested in finance - interested enough to own shares and be college rep for OIC (Oxford Investment Club), and vp/treasurer of my college JCR (and of the a cappella group I'm in). Actually, now I think about it that makes me sound quite interested, but it's not like I read the FT from cover to cover every day, and investopedia is my only source of finance information!

I knew what I was interested in - development, and politics. I spent a little while last summer working for OC&C for some money (dire) and then abandoned that to raise money for Amnesty, which was so much fun. I thought that an ideal career for me would be working for a thinktank/something; I did work experience with the FCO when I was younger and decided that wasn't quite my thing (too bureaucratic) but I thought that would be the kind of thing I'd do.

So this year I get persuaded to look at other careers, and to cut a long story short I've been doing a research project at KPMG. I don't think I'm allowed to say what I'm doing on a public forum but it's to do with the FSA and retail financial service firms. And I really like it :o:. I have a marketing internship scheduled after I finish but I have been given the option to stay on for a while (until term starts) and I'm thinking about it.

The whole point of this is for me to ask whether I could go into something like Advisory for a Big4/IB/Commercial Bank. I don't do the 'E' of PP because I only liked macro tbh, but the real world of finance is nothing like Economics, I've found. I've only been working for 3 weeks or so but I can see myself being interested in this on a long term basis. Now, is there any point in my applying for advisory positions in Auditing/Investment Banks/Commercial Banks? It seems that everything I read tells me that you have to be an analyst first, but again I'm not sure I'd have a chance in hell. Though I do understand exactly what they do, which oddly enough, not many people that actually want to be IBers in Oxford do :p:.

I feel like it's a bit too late to be looking at top firms, and there are a million other options that I could actually go for. I was called by Slaugher and told to consider applying for a TC after I went there (solely for the purpose of finding out what corporate lawyers actually do ) and so I'm aware that if I go for finance I won't be able to do a christmas vacation scheme with a law firm, ruling out my chances of going into that after I graduate. So I need to know whether I have a realistic chance.

Argh, what a ramble. It's all so confusing. I hope I got a question in there somewhere.

Oh, and I got a 2:1 in prelims, but with a 2:2 in Economics. Which again suggests that I'd be hard pressed to persuade a firm that I was any good at it! So I was definitely a mediocre student in first year, the only year that I can provide grades for.
    Another question: I didn't have exams at the end of 2nd year, so am I supposed to ask for predicted grades for all my modules so far? Collections seem a bit useless as some of my tutors don't even grade. All application forms I have looked at seem to want this, and yet I'm not sure what Oxf students provide.

ReputationRep:
    well, I graduated from uni last summer having an overall 58%. so sad as I felt that I am a 2:1 student. did a masters, got pretty good grades - overall 69% except the dissertation which i haven't got my result back. however, I don't think I'll end of achieving an overall Distinction in the end - I simply don't think they would give me a 70% above in Dissertation.

I did achieve like 78% in the commercial fraud module thou, and banking law I have a 70%.

Wanted to practice law but everyone knows that without a 2:1, I pretty much have no chances of getting a training contract with a nice firm. errr.... laterly, after a year of studying banking law/commercial fraud/corporate governance, I started to realise that I am actually very interested in topics like money laundering, corporate crime etc. Compliance then enters my mind - maybe I can work in compliance or anything

but then... the thing is, I am still afraid that my 2:2 is still a big barrier for me to get a graduate position in banks or any other financial institutions. i looked at the website, seems non-graduate positions all require relevant working experiences which I don't have...

anyone working in compliance, or anyone wanted to work in compliance, please help!

x

ReputationRep:
    Which is better for IB..

A straight economics degree from cambridge or LSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob9001)
    Which is better for IB..

A straight economics degree from cambridge or LSE?
    I'd say both really. Although LSE has locational advantages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusLL)
    I'd say both really. Although LSE has locational advantages.
    lol hey marcus
    and yeh london is where all the big banks are

i've heard that loads of banks go looking for people with straight economics degrees from LSE in London

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.