The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Noble.
For what?

Summer internships :tongue:
Original post by Imperion
Summer internships :tongue:

My advice would be to go the extra mile in understanding the department you're applying for, learn some of the stuff most summer interns don't have a clue about i.e. DCF for IBD/ER, option pricing for trading or instead of just learning about a news story and having a 'qualitative' understanding of it's impact, try and find out how it would affect a trader who has to trade it - one simple example would be talking about the 'expected' September rate hike in the US without really knowing how the rates market is traded.
Economics at University of Nottingham
or
Investment and Financial Risk at City University London (Plus one year placement year)

Applying through adjustment as got better grades than expected (A*AA)

Opinions and help would be much appreciated! Really stuck here and got 5 days to decideInvestment & Financial Risk ManagementInvestment & Financial Risk Management
Original post by JFP
or
Investment and Financial Risk at City University London (Plus one year placement year)

Opinions and help would be much appreciated! Really stuck here and got 5 days to decideInvestment & Financial Risk ManagementInvestment & Financial Risk Management

Econ at Notts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
Wow that's excellent, is your firm choice a semi-target?

In your position I'd probably take a gap year and apply - 1 year out could have a huge benefit for your career

I think it is a lower semi-target. Do you know of any programmes that could benefit me during my gap year?
Original post by Noble.
most summer interns don't have a clue about i.e. DCF for IBD/ER, .

I think this is assumed knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JFP
or

The 2 courses are very different. Find what exactly are you looking for in a course and align your choice with that interest.

For IB chances, marginal difference
Accounting and Finance at Bath any good?
Original post by KIDO123
I think it is a lower semi-target. Do you know of any programmes that could benefit me during my gap year?

Oh I see, I'm not too sure as I'm only going into year 13 myself. I think a target uni would make it easier for you to break in but even without you would still have a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I may apply to all the targets relevant to my course (Ox, UCL, LSE, Warwick) but this is very high risk. What is a safe fifth choice where I would most likely gain an offer and is decent for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iBall
I think I may apply to all the targets relevant to my course (Ox, UCL, LSE, Warwick) but this is very high risk. What is a safe fifth choice where I would most likely gain an offer and is decent for IB

Posted from TSR Mobile

applying to those 4 means you dont feel confident to get an offer from any one. apply to three of those and make two apps to notts and then a safety wherever, notts will give you an offer.
Original post by welcometoib
applying to those 4 means you dont feel confident to get an offer from any one. apply to three of those and make two apps to notts and then a safety wherever, notts will give you an offer.

I'd say go: 2/3 target, 2-3 semi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep

Thanks for the advice, could you expand on your first statement? According to Unistats Nottingham gave out offers to 83% of applicants so I'm confident that would be a solid safe choice and I've heard they are decent for IB. I don't know why I should apply for another safety though as many of the less competitive (AAA-AAB courses) would usually be open to further applications through UCAS Adjustment.

But those choices aren't set in stone and I may switch a few around, I am willing to take a gap year and reapply if I failed to get into a target/uni I'd be happy at

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok what are the semi-targets I should look at? Durham/Nottingham/Bristol? Or are there other ones which are better? Surrey and Exeter seem to give a lot of offers out but I'd probably stay away from Exeter as they've been giving out many A*A*A offers lately

Random question, would Electronic and Information Engineering at Imperial limit you to Technology or could you still get an IBD job with that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iBall

Ok what are the semi-targets I should look at? Durham/Nottingham/Bristol? Or are there other ones which are better? Surrey and Exeter seem to give a lot of offers out but I'd probably stay away from Exeter as they've been giving out many A*A*A offers lately

Random question, would Electronic and Information Engineering at Imperial limit you to Technology or could you still get an IBD job with that?

Yeah, those are the top three semis, generally. Places like: KCL, Cass Business School, Bath, Manchester etc. are also fairly good.

To your other question, Imperial is Imperial. Ypu'd only be limited if you choose to only apply to Tech, it really doesn't matter what course you do for most roles (except quants) in IB anyway.
Yeah, those are the top three semis, generally. Places like: KCL, Cass Business School, Bath, Manchester etc. are also fairly good.

To your other question, Imperial is Imperial. Ypu'd only be limited if you choose to only apply to Tech, it really doesn't matter what course you do for most roles (except quants) in IB anyway.

OK I'll take a look at the others as well then, I've heard good things about Bath, think I'll have to do some open days to decide a choice.

That's what I was also thinking, that the brand name is most important. I think I'd enjoy something related to Economics but family members have made me consider Engineering, it can get you into IB and provide other opportunities if IB is not for you... Need to make a concrete decision ASAP
Hi,

So I have always had the plan of going into investment banking and have done an insight day this summer at JP Morgan. Results day didn't really go as planned and I am no longer going to do Maths & Physics at Warwick but Law instead. I went into clearing and knowing I had to go to a IBD target I solely looked at Warwick, the only course which was AAA was Law all the reast were AAB or ABB, therefore less prestigous. Anyway as I feel like I wont be able to gain anything useful from a gap year I have accepted Law at Warwick.
I just wanted to ask you guys if this course is fine and will still put me in a strong position for applying to spring weeks, or should I be looking to try and change course to maybe Accounting & finance or something, I'm getting some remarks so hopefully my grades will increase from the A*ABB (BioMathsChemPhy) I got to A*AAB or A*A*AB if i'm really lucky.

Any response would be appreciated- I am slightly lost and need some reassurance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by natsciballer
Hi,

So I have always had the plan of going into investment banking and have done an insight day this summer at JP Morgan. Results day didn't really go as planned and I am no longer going to do Maths & Physics at Warwick but Law instead. I went into clearing and knowing I had to go to a IBD target I solely looked at Warwick, the only course which was AAA was Law all the reast were AAB or ABB, therefore less prestigous. Anyway as I feel like I wont be able to gain anything useful from a gap year I have accepted Law at Warwick.
I just wanted to ask you guys if this course is fine and will still put me in a strong position for applying to spring weeks, or should I be looking to try and change course to maybe Accounting & finance or something, I'm getting some remarks so hopefully my grades will increase from the A*ABB (BioMathsChemPhy) I got to A*AAB or A*A*AB if i'm really lucky.

Any response would be appreciated- I am slightly lost and need some reassurance

you dont have to go a target whatsoever, honestly this bullcrap is spouted on here too much, notts bristol durham bath is fine, dont choose a degree you know nothing about just for the sake its warwick, please dont. take a year out and reapply for what you really want to do, there isnt any point going through a degree for 3 years you hate, to then do ibd, which youll also hate.
you dont have to go a target whatsoever, honestly this bullcrap is spouted on here too much, notts bristol durham bath is fine, dont choose a degree you know nothing about just for the sake its warwick, please dont. take a year out and reapply for what you really want to do, there isnt any point going through a degree for 3 years you hate, to then do ibd, which youll also hate.

I get you don't HAVE to go to a target but I know it undoubtedly helps. There is no course I have really ever been set on, I origionally applied to natural sciences courses because I had no idea what specific one I wanted to do, then I did a lot of course swapping before my exams began and finally had biomedical eng at imperial and maths and physics at warwick as my firm and insurance, even though I wasn't super keen on physics and didn't do further maths a level. Anyway i'm fine with studying law, and have always thought about it as a possibility, so i'm really fine with doing the degree. I just wanted to check how I would fair for spring week applications.
Original post by natsciballer
I get you don't HAVE to go to a target but I know it undoubtedly helps. There is no course I have really ever been set on, I origionally applied to natural sciences courses because I had no idea what specific one I wanted to do, then I did a lot of course swapping before my exams began and finally had biomedical eng at imperial and maths and physics at warwick as my firm and insurance, even though I wasn't super keen on physics and didn't do further maths a level. Anyway i'm fine with studying law, and have always thought about it as a possibility, so i'm really fine with doing the degree. I just wanted to check how I would fair for spring week applications.

Just to back previous posts, pleasee don't don't choose uni just because you think it's a target university for investment banks. A law degree is an entirely different ball park to any of the other degrees you've been looking at. You've gone from saying you want to do a science/mathematical based degree, right through to saying you want to do Law - essentially an English degree, for people who aspire to earn a lot of money. I've had a few friends who've done this, got to uni through clearing and realised they just aren't able to keep up a 2.1 at uni and have had their prospects plummet seemingly unfairly.

My advice would be, if you're taking Law, have a thorough read on what is expected of you. You're going to be writing weekly essays, and debating in seminars, and never see arithmetic again, until you desperately try and get a summer internship in IB and claim you have really good maths skills but chose a law degree because you could only get in through clearing.

Take a gap year, focus on what you really want to do, get some work experience/internship (doesn't have to be IB), go travelling/volunteer, and come back a year later confident and not having to write on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending