The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3460
hey folks,

wanted to use this thread to get an opinion on my chances for straight ft recruiting this fall: target: london; BB/EB

i will graduate this november from a business school in europe [esade, bocconi, ssm level]

academic background:
- msc finance top business school - good grades but not top 20%
- bachelor accounting finance non-target uk 2nd best graduate first class honours
- bachelor business administration germany best graduate top 5%

Professional background:
- apprenticeship as bank clerk 2 years 08'-10'
- big four tas internship germany 12'
- big private bank in germany corporate finance fig internship 13'
- 2nd tier m&a internship germany frankfurt a la mediobanca, SocGen, BNP with unconditional return offer

The problem I see:
- gap year until 2016 (i am planning on taking CFA 1 + [2]) until training starts
- no real summer internship at BB
- didn't apply for FT positions in LDN in analyst class of 15

Any feedback highly appreciated.
How competitive are middle office spring weeks?
gob for it
AAA* A level- Maths Geography Chemistry
BSc Chemistry at Bath
Mediocre work experience - nothing banking related
Mediocre ECs although I will try pick as much up as possible in the first few weeks of uni.
CV and Cover Letter will be decent, I can get lots of help from business related people
All tests should be decent/reasonable as I'm usually pretty good at those type of questions.

Enough to get me through first round of SW applications?

I'd prefer a yes/no/borderline answer as i dont want to waste hours of my time applying for pointless things.

I like how the "pro guys" say yes to everyone to weaken the competition...
Original post by nickmurp
AAA* A level- Maths Geography Chemistry
BSc Chemistry at Bath
Mediocre work experience - nothing banking related
Mediocre ECs although I will try pick as much up as possible in the first few weeks of uni.
CV and Cover Letter will be decent, I can get lots of help from business related people
All tests should be decent/reasonable as I'm usually pretty good at those type of questions.

Enough to get me through first round of SW applications?

I'd prefer a yes/no/borderline answer as i dont want to waste hours of my time applying for pointless things.

I like how the "pro guys" say yes to everyone to weaken the competition...

Honestly, just apply. Theorising on TSR about your chances is just a massive waste of time, you have the basic academic level required anyway. You can never tell your chances if you don't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Honestly, just apply. Theorising on TSR about your chances is just a massive waste of time, you have the basic academic level required anyway. You can never tell your chances if you don't apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just think i'm more likely to waste my time applying. When i do things like this i often put many hours into it. However ive also been looking at MC at the big4 which i assume i'm more likley to get an insight day at. I'd rather spend my time focusing on something acheivable.
Original post by nickmurp
I just think i'm more likely to waste my time applying. When i do things like this i often put many hours into it. However ive also been looking at MC at the big4 which i assume i'm more likley to get an insight day at. I'd rather spend my time focusing on something acheivable.

The fact is your applying from a slightly weaker semi target, from a good degree (chemistry). I would say your definitely borderline but there are people from bath in ibd so it is always worth applying. I think with your specific application it will come down to how well you achieve in the bank's tests. If you feel you will be decent at those I'd say its worth a go. I'll be applying for the MC law firm insights as well and banking spring weeks. AKA I agree with the above
Original post by natsciballer
The fact is your applying from a slightly weaker semi target, from a good degree (chemistry). I would say your definitely borderline but there are people from bath in ibd so it is always worth applying. I think with your specific application it will come down to how well you achieve in the bank's tests. If you feel you will be decent at those I'd say its worth a go. I'll be applying for the MC law firm insights as well and banking spring weeks. AKA I agree with the above

Just got back from a placement at CC, I wholeheartedly recommend you apply to their non-law insight programme!! Great people, with a lovely culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Just got back from a placement at CC, I wholeheartedly recommend you apply to their non-law insight programme!! Great people, with a lovely culture.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Will be applying but I'm going to be doing law at uni (Warwick) so will applying to the normal insight scheme. Great to here there's a good atmosphere!
Do you guys think that a physics degree from UCL would be enough for the degree aspect of IB?
Original post by rm761
Do you guys think that a physics degree from UCL would be enough for the degree aspect of IB?

Target uni, target course . Simply- yes
Original post by rm761

Holy **** it doesn't matter, UCL is a target focus on building your EC profile/networking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natsciballer
Target uni, target course . Simply- yes

No such thing as a target course
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
No such thing as a target course

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ye your right
Kcl or qmul for consultancy?
Original post by Xlxl23
Kcl or qmul for consultancy?

never seen a person from either at any consulting related events ive been too, for big 4 even id say maybe kcl, negligible.
Warwick/UCL-Engineering and Business Management/Engineering with Business Finance
A-levels AAB in maths chemistry physics respectively (1 ums of an A!) Will these a levels disadvantage me massively?
GCSE's: 7A* 4A's
Lots of EC/Insight days

Taking a gap year and taking A2 FM, will my poor a level results reduce my chances of FO? Also why don't many people want to become technology analysts? Is the pay not good?
Warwick/UCL-Engineering and Business Management/Engineering with Business Finance
A-levels AAB in maths chemistry physics respectively (1 ums of an A!) Will these a levels disadvantage me massively?
GCSE's: 7A* 4A's
Lots of EC/Insight days

Taking a gap year and taking A2 FM, will my poor a level results reduce my chances of FO? Also why don't many people want to become technology analysts? Is the pay not good?y
Warwick/UCL-Engineering and Business Management/Engineering with Business FinanceA-levels AAB in maths chemistry physics respectively (1 ums of an A!) Will these a levels disadvantage me massively?GCSE's: 7A* 4A'sLots of EC/Insight daysTaking a gap year and taking A2 FM, will my poor a level results reduce my chances of FO? Also why don't many people want to become technology analysts? Is the pay not good?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending