The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yl95
Yes? Haha

Cool :smile: (was just curious)

Their S&T rotational programme is quite interesting, especially if you don't know whether you prefer S or T.
Original post by Noble.
Cool :smile: (was just curious)

Their S&T rotational programme is quite interesting, especially if you don't know whether you prefer S or T.

Did you do the S&T summer programme with them or had you heard from other people you know about it? I think you did J.P.'s. Any insights? I know Citi's grad programme allows you to rotate four times so yeah it does sound interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by yl95
Did you do the S&T summer programme with them or had you heard from other people you know about it? I think you did J.P.'s. Any insights? I know Citi's grad programme allows you to rotate four times so yeah it does sound interesting.

I haven't done Citi's S&T programme, but it's one of the few that is genuinely rotational (both summer and grad) - the only criticism I've heard about it is that apparently a lot of people who want trading end up in sales or structuring, but otherwise it's a good programme if you're going in open minded. I'll be in trading at JP this summer, so haven't done it yet, but I would imagine the key with Citi is to be enthusiastic about whichever desk you're on given that they hire a general pool of analysts and you're not allocated a desk until way down the line.
Original post by Noble.
I haven't done Citi's S&T programme, but it's one of the few that is genuinely rotational (both summer and grad) - the only criticism I've heard about it is that apparently a lot of people who want trading end up in sales or structuring, but otherwise it's a good programme if you're going in open minded. I'll be in trading at JP this summer, so haven't done it yet, but I would imagine the key with Citi is to be enthusiastic about whichever desk you're on given that they hire a general pool of analysts and you're not allocated a desk until way down the line.

Ah yeah I was meant to be interviewing with JP but their spaces got filled up so they sent me an email yesterday haha.

Funnily enough I'm looking more at sales and structuring rather than trading as trading, while it is quantitative, doesn't suit my character.

Which desk will you be on in the summer?
Original post by yl95
Ah yeah I was meant to be interviewing with JP but their spaces got filled up so they sent me an email yesterday haha.

Funnily enough I'm looking more at sales and structuring rather than trading as trading, while it is quantitative, doesn't suit my character.

Which desk will you be on in the summer?

Rates Options. I'm surprised it took as long as this for their spaces to fill up, back at my AC at the end of November, HR said they're wrapping up S&T recruitment.
4As at As predicted 3A*s A at A2...going to study mechanical engineering probably at nottingham...what are my chances for front office pls?
Original post by Jbird1
4As at As predicted 3A*s A at A2...going to study mechanical engineering probably at nottingham...what are my chances for front office pls?

God knows.. You haven't given any information that will indicate your chances: personality, work experience, extra curriculars, knowledge of/interest in the industry etc. Remember IB is a job not an academic uni seat.

Notts is a semi-target, shouldn't hold you back with getting interviews if the rest of your CV is alright. Your grades are pretty solid but won't be enough on their own.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jbird1

You have a 18.758% chance of securing a FO job.

Seriously Nottingham is a good semi target uni and if you are determined to get into IB you'll do just as well as anyone else, don't get that hung up on your "chances" depending on which uni you attend.

Also I'll be at Nottingham so see ya there :smile:
Original post by Daniel9998
You have a 18.758% chance of securing a FO job.

Seriously Nottingham is a good semi target uni and if you are determined to get into IB you'll do just as well as anyone else, don't get that hung up on your "chances" depending on which uni you attend.

Also I'll be at Nottingham so see ya there :smile:

Oh cool, what course are you doing?
I was considering reapplying to UCL next year as it is stereotypically a "more prestigious" university and I like the idea of studying in London, and in the year out doing a school leavers programme such as the one at Schroders.
http://www.investment2020.org.uk/vacancies
Although UCL isnt as good as Nottingham for engineering so that could be a problem.
Original post by Jbird1
Oh cool, what course are you doing?

Chem eng
Dear everyone, I'm just in the process of applying to uni and looking to get into Investment Banking within a technology division.

I'm looking to do a BSc in Information Management for Business at UCL. I have got previous work experience in technology companies such as as IBM and HP.

If I achieve a 2;1 or a 1st class degree here at UCL for IMB, what are my chances to get into the technology division?

Thanks
Original post by Aran2121
Dear everyone, I'm just in the process of applying to uni and looking to get into Investment Banking within a technology division.

I'm looking to do a BSc in Information Management for Business at UCL. I have got previous work experience in technology companies such as as IBM and HP.

If I achieve a 2;1 or a 1st class degree here at UCL for IMB, what are my chances to get into the technology division?

Thanks

I'm no expert but I would say pretty high, I know a girl who did that exact course and got a low 2.1,ABBB at a-level, with little work exp. in IB and got straight into Credit Suisse as a tech analyst, though she left after a year as she hated the job, and now works in technology consulting. Any reason why you don't want to apply FO, from what I've heard it's much more interesting and has better opportunities if you decide to leave.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
I'm no expert but I would say pretty high, I know a girl who did that exact course and got a low 2.1,ABBB at a-level, with little work exp. in IB and got straight into Credit Suisse as a tech analyst, though she left after a year as she hated the job, and now works in technology consulting. Any reason why you don't want to apply FO, from what I've heard it's much more interesting and has better opportunities if you decide to leave.

FO seems to be more Business / Economics. I'm hoping to do a Technology course at UCL therefore I would have thought technology division would be a suitable alternative solution.

Would you recommend me to apply for FO with IMB degree?
FO seems to be more Business / Economics. I'm hoping to do a Technology course at UCL therefore I would have thought technology division would be a suitable alternative solution.

Apply for whatever division interests you most, the degree you do shouldn't dictate that.

You seem to have an interest in Tech so go for Tech..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers. Can I ask what degree and what university you're applying to & what division would you like to work in.
Cheers. Can I ask what degree and what university you're applying to & what division would you like to work in.

Could just look at my profile/posts bro.. Not sure how the information is going to help you

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've got some nice offers, which one are you going to firm

From what I understand the degree is only important if you're applying to do something really niche, or you're doing something mathsy. I am going to Warwick and not studying economics/management but will mostly likely apply for FO if I think I stand a chance.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
From what I understand the degree is only important if you're applying to do something really niche, or you're doing something mathsy. I am going to Warwick and not studying economics/management but will mostly likely apply for FO if I think I stand a chance.

Thanks for the information. Good luck at Warwick, it's a great university and you'll definitely stand a chance at getting into FO

Quick Reply

Latest