The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

guys, ive just finished with exams and i don't think my plans of getting a summer internship will come true. nonetheless, will my chances of getting a summer internship next year (i just finished 1st year) be significantly affected by this? i know its all probability but I'd prefer to know you guys' opinion (ive heard that banks often dislike students who don't do anything during their summer as it comes across indolent).

nevertheless, i did do 2 decent internships during my 1st year and I am involved in with many societies on a board level.
Original post by ozilll
guys, ive just finished with exams and i don't think my plans of getting a summer internship will come true. nonetheless, will my chances of getting a summer internship next year (i just finished 1st year) be significantly affected by this? i know its all probability but I'd prefer to know you guys' opinion (ive heard that banks often dislike students who don't do anything during their summer as it comes across indolent).

nevertheless, i did do 2 decent internships during my 1st year and I am involved in with many societies on a board level.

it's not too common that people have first year summer internships.
Original post by ozilll

You're still in the game but try and get something. I kept pursuing and eventually got a first year summer internship in Mid-August - September. It's helpful to have one but not critical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3983
Hello, I will study MSc in Finance at Cass this fall. Does anybody know the class profile of the 2016 intake? What types of jobs did the students get after graduating?
Hey can someone chance me on my likeliness of a FO SW for 2018 who has had previous experience.
A-levels: AAB, GCSE: 10A*-A

University: Warwikc (MEng Civil Engineering). First year results, first class.

No finance exp., experience in engineering/medicine only. Volunteering, sport etc. I have as per usual. Will attend insight days/on campus events from september-november next academic year. Also have a summer job for one month in august working on testing chem. materials at a small pharma firm.
Original post by benjisteph
Hey can someone chance me on my likeliness of a FO SW for 2018 who has had previous experience.
A-levels: AAB, GCSE: 10A*-A

University: Warwikc (MEng Civil Engineering). First year results, first class.

No finance exp., experience in engineering/medicine only. Volunteering, sport etc. I have as per usual. Will attend insight days/on campus events from september-november next academic year. Also have a summer job for one month in august working on testing chem. materials at a small pharma firm.

Yes, you absolutely have a chance. Try to join the Warwick Investment Fund in October. Emphasize a lot of interest in your cover letter. If you are interested in pharma, over summer you can look at biotech stock and mention that in your cover letter.

Best of luck
Original post by Backseat
Hey

So I go to a good Russell group but a non target uni, I have an insight week with M&A advisory at KPMG, a week insight with Credit at HSBC, Canary Wharf and a 2 week work placement with Morgan Stanley investment management NYC. I am director of a large management board, a part time B2B sales rep and heavily involved in investment society. I have 420 UCAS and am on a 1st in my economics degree going into 2nd year. Do I have a chance of IBD summer internship? Kinda dream job but don't want to be unrealistic coming from non target!

Thanks😊

humblebrag? yh, ofc you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
humblebrag? yh, ofc you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No mate just wasn't sure about the whole uni thing! Thanks:smile:
Hey,

I'm an EU student (fluent in 6 languages) going to study management (AAA) at Warwick business school. I'm really not sure if I should change course or not btw
Hi,
Im an Economics student at Bristol about to go into 3rd year ,on course for a 1st . I think i may want to go into management consulting after university. I havent done any internships. Will i still be able to apply for firms like kpmg for consultancy positions for after graduation or will they straight away bin my application ? If i want to get into this career would i need to take a year out to do internships etc ?

Will I even be able to get any job at all in finance/ corporate world etc without internships ?

I got 3 A* a level in economics mathematics and biology.

I havent got any relevant work experience , I have worked part time as a football referee since i was 16 for extra cash and this summer i worked in Kavos greece for an events company. My dad works in asset management so Im gonna do an internship end of summer at his firm to just have something on the CV but dunno if thats enough.

Would rly appreciate any advice.
Hi guys,

I've recently finished my IB exams (in EU country) and am now heading for Geography at King's (failed to fulfill conditions of my offer from Oxford and my IB results are quite miserable). How much weight is put on the course studied and IB/A-Levels results as opposed to first-year results at uni and what would I be able to do to still convince IB divisions to give me a chance for Spring Weeks and later on for summer internships? Thanks so much.
Original post by NeXT2530
would I be able to do to still convince IB divisions to give me a chance for Spring Weeks and later on for summer internships? Thanks so much.

yeah work hard, network, make a convicing argument as to why you deserve a spot
Original post by gr8wizard10
yeah work hard, network, make a convicing argument as to why you deserve a spot

What would you suggest in "work hard" part? As in what things can I get in my CV by then aside from high school stuff and generally what actions would you recommend aside from searching for any networking events at IBanks
hello my fellow geezers

if you had a year to do whatever the hell you wanted before university, what would you do to increase your chances of getting into IB?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NeXT2530
What would you suggest in "work hard" part? As in what things can I get in my CV by then aside from high school stuff and generally what actions would you recommend aside from searching for any networking events at IBanks

good grades, involvement in societies, learn about the job
Original post by sortmeoutgeezer
hello my fellow geezers

if you had a year to do whatever the hell you wanted before university, what would you do to increase your chances of getting into IB?

@gr8wizard10 geezer
Original post by sortmeoutgeezer

internship / placement in a related industry like accounting or whatever internships you can get relevant to finance
Relatively clueless about IB but still learning, are these credentials enough to get the foot into IB?

A-levels: AAA (Maths, Physics, Biology)
GCSEs: A*AAAABBBBC (A* in Maths, and As in Triple Science/English)
University; Bristol Physics (heading into first year)

Experience; No directly relevant experience to IB but have a years experience teaching kids ranging from 7 to 16 in Maths/Science.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyou
Relatively clueless about IB but still learning, are these credentials enough to get the foot into IB?

A-levels: AAA (Maths, Physics, Biology)
GCSEs: A*AAAABBBBC (A* in Maths, and As in Triple Science/English)
University; Bristol Physics (heading into first year)

Experience; No directly relevant experience to IB but have a years experience teaching kids ranging from 7 to 16 in Maths/Science.

you meet academic criteria, rest is your interests/hobbies/relevant experience (display comptencies)/how good your application is/story to why you're interested in banking/interview skills/likeability
Original post by gr8wizard10
you meet academic criteria, rest is your interests/hobbies/relevant experience (display comptencies)/how good your application is/story to why you're interested in banking/interview skills/likeability

Can you direct me to any websites or pages where you could learn more about IB and the different divisions within it? I'm thinking of applying to Spring Weeks but I'd like to learn more about the profession first.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending