Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy_Van_Barzini)
    Not doing Maths A-Level becomes irrelevant if you're doing a numerical degree.
    Um, not when application forms require you to tick a box saying "I have an A at Maths A-Level".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Um, not when application forms require you to tick a box saying "I have an A at Maths A-Level".
    Maybe I've missed those ones. Which companies are they?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy at Cambridge, Reserve Officer in the German Army (Rank by the time of the application: Staff/Master Sergeant, Airborne), Internships in the US House Committee on Foreign Affairs (Congress) and Danish Embassy in Berlin, 3 mother-tongue languages and one fluent.

Any good for top IBanks or strategic consultancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)
    Philosophy at Cambridge, Reserve Officer in the German Army (Rank by the time of the application: Staff/Master Sergeant, Airborne), Internships in the US House Committee on Foreign Affairs (Congress) and Danish Embassy in Berlin, 3 mother-tongue languages and one fluent.

Haven't McKinsey hired you yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azer)

The latter definitely. IBs tend to seek relevant experience, whilst consultancies like a diversity of interesting experiences such as yours. Combination of an Oxbridge degree, demonstrated leadership/teamwork, and multiple languages should serve you well at any consultancy up to and including MBB.

ReputationRep:
    I've come to the conclusion that banks don't give a **** what degree you study. A few people I know manage to bag offers with really **** and doss subjects, and others with Econ/Maths/Physics are getting no where.

So just study a nice and easy degree is the advice I would give because banks don't appreciate bright students.

ReputationRep:
    didnt want to make a new thread and this seems like best place to ask...is anyone who knows alot about M&A (the sector i want to apply to) willing to take a quick look at my CV and tell me what they think please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    didnt want to make a new thread and this seems like best place to ask...is anyone who knows alot about M&A (the sector i want to apply to) willing to take a quick look at my CV and tell me what they think please?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

ReputationRep:
    oh ****, i hadnt realized that sub forum existed. omg like ive been here since 2006 and never scrolled down..nor have i already made 2 threads there, several pages long (the person there was lots of help btw ). :rolleyes: i mean this has nothing to do with me wanting to get the opinion of someone whos specifically linked to the M&A sector and would then be able to give me subsequent advice.

p.s. sorry if i sounded aggressive there...4 hours sleep a day 5/7 nights a week past 2 weeks and a 3k essay due in a week lol. but yeah if anyone here is actually in M&A and could spare a few mins that would be awesome (maybe tell me what kind of tier i should be aiming for).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I didn't realise you had already posted there because I cannot see any threads in that forum apart from my own.

ReputationRep:
    If you post your Qs here, I'm sure they'll be answered. As for CV, post your WE/ECs etc. here.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get plenty of responsibilty in all banks and teams, and the stuff you do will eventually get to a client (in any form) but not before it has been checked by 10 or so people. So your client exposure will be limited, heck, only directors+ have any real client exposure.

Networking with a client? Very slim chance of that happeneing. You might get to go to a client meeting/presentation if you've deserved it and/or if they think you'll be of any use (taking down notes, questions). But you won't get a real oportunity to "network" with a client, the max you'll probably do (if you have any sense) is get introduced by a senior banker, chat briefly about the presentation/make some small talk over coffee, and ask some questions if you feel like it.

You will get first hand experience/real work in any team (not just M&A) and bank, otherwise they wouldn't have taken you on. As to the actual presence, well it depends on how well you've performed upto that point and whether the bankers trust you not to **** it up. Otherwise, what would be the point if they can save time from explaining it to you, do the actual work twice as fast and without any mistakes?

M&A, at my bank at least, was the biggest team in IBD.

All banks have branches on the West Coast (LA, SF) and in HK.

ReputationRep:
    Deals upto US$200mm - http://online.thomsonreuters.com/ass...ew_USD200M.pdf

ReputationRep:
    maybe i didnt make myself understandable when i say network..dunno just the ability to interact with these people at some point...i think broking (or maybe even PWM?) is prob better for that but as i said..M&A genuinely appeals to me due to the business that im doing...

anyway..i think i found the place that will have the lists im looking for (thompson one banker)..just registering there now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Deals upto US$200mm - http://online.thomsonreuters.com/ass...ew_USD200M.pdf
    thanks, legend. ill give you some rep in coupla minutes. for some reason i was only able to find the 500mill tables..maybe i wasnt looking well enough. anyway, based on what i said about my currics what do u think i should aim for?

btw im surprised to see some big names on some of these lists...i thought BBs wont touch <50mill etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    thanks, legend. ill give you some rep in coupla minutes. for some reason i was only able to find the 500mill tables..maybe i wasnt looking well enough. anyway, based on what i said about my currics what do u think i should aim for?

btw im surprised to see some big names on some of these lists...i thought BBs wont touch <50mill etc?
    Back in the day, probably not. Although now any fee-paying deal is worth going after - especially with M&A activity so low. Some banks (Lazard and JPM to name but two) have separate middle-market teams who only target MM deals.

ReputationRep:
    Been thinking it over for a while now and I'm certain of the fact I want to go into banking. I do Computer Science at the minute (on my industry year, graduate in 2011) and will probably do a Masters in Economics or Finance afterwards... try and do an A-Level in Maths in the meantime as well. As far as experience goes, I've worked part-time in customer service since college and til present, whilst also working as a Software Developer for my industry placement (which started in July).

From this little description... do you have any advice of how I can improve my likelihood of getting noticed?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I don't think my questions are entirely appropriate for this thread, but I don't want to make a seperate thread for something which has probably been done to death already.

I'm a 2nd year physicist at Cambridge and I'm considering the possibility of going into IB after I graduate. My course is by default 3 years with the optional 4th year MA (which I want to do), but I was thinking about applying for summer internships this year. There are a few problems however:

-I know nothing about the markets (obviously just a few basics but not in depth)
    -I've never worked before
    -I haven't done any extra-curriculars or activities that might improve my skills in this area

Now I know the first can be solved pretty easily, I'll just need some free time to get my knowledge up to a decent level- something that you might expect from a person that doesn't do an economics course at uni but has an interest in IB.

The second is an issue though. It seems a bit ridiculous to me applying without any experience of work whatsoever. Extra-curriculars wise, I don't know if they're that important but again this is something I could probably change if required.

So would you consider applying for a summer internship this year if you were in my position? If not, what do you think I should do instead to apply in the next round?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz34)
    Ok, I don't think my questions are entirely appropriate for this thread, but I don't want to make a seperate thread for something which has probably been done to death already.

I'm a 2nd year physicist at Cambridge and I'm considering the possibility of going into IB after I graduate. My course is by default 3 years with the optional 4th year MA (which I want to do), but I was thinking about applying for summer internships this year. There are a few problems however:

-I know nothing about the markets (obviously just a few basics but not in depth)
    -I've never worked before
    -I haven't done any extra-curriculars or activities that might improve my skills in this area

Now I know the first can be solved pretty easily, I'll just need some free time to get my knowledge up to a decent level- something that you might expect from a person that doesn't do an economics course at uni but has an interest in IB.

The second is an issue though. It seems a bit ridiculous to me applying without any experience of work whatsoever. Extra-curriculars wise, I don't know if they're that important but again this is something I could probably change if required.

So would you consider applying for a summer internship this year if you were in my position? If not, what do you think I should do instead to apply in the next round?

Thanks.
    Left it too late for this cycle tbh. Why not make the effort to attend some of the many network opportunities at Cambridge and be prepared for next years cycle. Brush up on the EC's as you will need to use something to answer competency questions. I can imagine it being quite easy to network with BB IB's there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Left it too late for this cycle tbh. Why not make the effort to attend some of the many network opportunities at Cambridge and be prepared for next years cycle. Brush up on the EC's as you will need to use something to answer competency questions. I can imagine it being quite easy to network with BB IB's there.
    Aye, at the time of posting that there were only a few banks which were still accepting applications. I've decided to use this summer to learn a few things. Seeing as though my CV is quite empty in the 'previous work' section- do you think it's important to sort that out? Unless its relevent to banking I don't see how.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm guessing its too late to attend those events for this year? In that case, I'll probably do so in first few weeks of next year in the next cycle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.