The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread Watch

yodude888
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Taking gap year, following IB result of 39/45.

Going to St. Andrews October 2010 onwards to study a BSc in Economics-Mathematics.

Currently studying for CIMA Certificate in Business Accountancy, and a CeFA from ifs (both for the sake of keeping my brain active during my gap year.)

ECs include debating (Swiss SGIS -16s champion), poker, weightlifting, rifle shooting (aiming to join the Swiss team by end of summer), etc. etc.
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by yodude888)
Taking gap year, following IB result of 39/45.

Going to St. Andrews October 2010 onwards to study a BSc in Economics-Mathematics.

Currently studying for CIMA Certificate in Business Accountancy, and a CeFA from ifs (both for the sake of keeping my brain active during my gap year.)

ECs include debating (Swiss SGIS -16s champion), poker, weightlifting, rifle shooting (aiming to join the Swiss team by end of summer), etc. etc.
+ German and/or French speaking?
yodude888
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Inflation)
+ German and/or French speaking?
Oh yes, sorry. Fully fluent in French, with a decent level of Spanish too.

I want to take Arabic as my third subject in St. Andrews, pick up a certain level if I can.
zef99
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teenage Pirate)
Hate to be a pedant, but you look like a complete tool now
oh you make me lulz.
bbjaylive
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Hi, new on here also. Currently a 3rd year studying a 4 year Mechanical Engineering course at Nottingham Uni. I'm on a 2.1 at the moment but hopefully I can kick it up a class. I'm interested in trading but don't have any relevant ECs because I have not been sure as to what to do as a career for the past two years. I'm assuming that the deadlines of most of the top tier banks have already passed, so I'd like to know what I need to do to secure an internship at a mid cap bank without the relevant ECs yet or if I should instead apply for an internship at a company like Trafigura who own commodities?
Thomassss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
meant to sayll Will a 2 1 Maths Degree from Birmingham Uni give me a 'decent' chance of working in the City

Maths Degree from Birmingham, do I have any chance against Top 5 uni graduates ? will I even get called to an interview ?
Nyet
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I really don't get these questions. Surely you know that the answer to this will hinge on how many silly extracurricular activities you've crammed into your life, what commercial experience/exposure/knowledge you have, whether you can pass their stupid verbal/numerical reasoning tests (n.b, they don't have anything to do with 'maths'), etc etc? The degree won't preclude you for most of them, though it might do for ultra-elitist firms.
hamzab
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Thomassss)
meant to sayll Will a 2 1 Maths Degree from Birmingham Uni give me a 'decent' chance of working in the City

Maths Degree from Birmingham, do I have any chance against Top 5 uni graduates ? will I even get called to an interview ?

If not then do a MSc at a Top School such as Cass and you should be fine. However, if your still at Uni I recommend at least trying to get a first as it would be easier to get into top business schools and gain interviews.
FifthQuarter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What do you mean by working in the "city"? Anyone can work in the City...FO? MO? BO?
loggins
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's a thread for these kind of questions, I'll have a moderator move this.
K the Failure
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FifthQuarter)
What do you mean by working in the "city"? Anyone can work in the City...FO? MO? BO?
"The City of London, commonly called The City".
FifthQuarter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by K the Failure)
it was more of a rhetorical question.
dpb23
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To me it sounded very much like it was prompting a response.
Thomassss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sure it was :rolleyes:
THRASHx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by K the Failure)
He still asked a good question, pretty sure I could get a job in "the City" giving out newspapers or standing there holding a sign, a 2.1 in Maths would be "decent" for that, you'd probably get the job.
Will32G
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

It wasn't technically a rhetorical question, although how anyone could infer from your post that you did not know what is meant by "the City" is beyond me
FifthQuarter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol alright, I admit that my previous post was indeed poorly written. Let me clarify:

You can get a job in the City. I personally think anyone has the ability to get a job in the City...but it depends on the position and your cred. If you are a high school drop out and you want a FO job in the City...the chances are slim. If you go to a decent university, the chances are better - even better for MO, much much better for BO... but then again, if you study Art History at OxBridge and you have no idea about computer science, you aren't qualified for an IT position at a bank. Do you understand?

What are you looking for? a FO job in S&T? IBD? ER? PE? or MO job in risk? BO job in Operations?
Thomassss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol alright, I admit that my previous post was indeed poorly written. Let me clarify:

You can get a job in the City. I personally think anyone has the ability to get a job in the City...but it depends on the position and your cred. If you are a high school drop out and you want a FO job in the City...the chances are slim. If you go to a decent university, the chances are better - even better for MO, much much better for BO... but then again, if you study Art History at OxBridge and you have no idea about computer science, you aren't qualified for an IT position at a bank. Do you understand?

What are you looking for? a FO job in S&T? IBD? ER? PE? or MO job in risk? BO job in Operations?

In England , the City refers to the City of London...

OK

'As for Oxbridge graduate or High School drop,'
In the title of the blooming thread is a 2 1 from Birmingham in maths
Will32G
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
...do I have any chance...

'As for Oxbridge graduate or High School drop,'
In the title of the blooming thread is a 2 1 from Birmingham in maths
Based on your reading comprehension, I'm gonna go with: No
hamzab
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol why was I neg repped for my post above.

Freaks out here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1583)
79.31%
Leave (413)
20.69%

Watched Threads