Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    don't be. as a matter of fact, neither of these two profiles are me.

i was just trying to gauge who has a better chance:

- me with mediocre results, uni, but with trading experience at a prestigious uni or,

- me with no work experience, but with great results, uni and ECs.

so, where is more emphasis placed, on work experience, or on academia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotherarunan)
    Think i told you this before mate, but you got a good chance if you ask me, up there with all the oxbridge/LSE lot cos of this intern thing. Plus, despite what this forum thinks, there aren't THAT many super-keen 17/18yr olds about!
    Hopefully!! where did u do ur spring week btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    don't be. as a matter of fact, neither of these two profiles are me.

i was just trying to gauge who has a better chance:

- me with mediocre results, uni, but with trading experience at a prestigious uni or,

- me with no work experience, but with great results, uni and ECs.

I would have put my money on the Cambridge guy. bt not in this economic climate.
    a grad with no financial work experience doesnt deserve an IB job. simple as that

still a tough one though lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure anyone on here will know. WHichever it is a balance is key I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    Nah, Decision, Stats and something else... If I were to go financy I'd probably do it from the Economics department anyway, someone said the maths involved in mathematical finance module is mental... and I'm a bit **** at maths.
    The maths was pretty OK. It was understanding the economics concepts that all the mathmos were pants at. I always thought a math/econ would be perfectly suited to it. We mostly used "An introduction to financial option valuation " by Higham. Wish I could do some more next year.

ReputationRep:
    The maths was pretty OK. It was understanding the economics concepts that all the mathmos were pants at. I always thought a math/econ would be perfectly suited to it. We mostly used "An introduction to financial option valuation " by Higham. Wish I could do some more next year.
    May need to reconsider. Which modules did you do and what did you think of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    I would have put my money on the Cambridge guy. bt not in this economic climate.
    a grad with no financial work experience doesnt deserve an IB job. simple as that

still a tough one though lol
    fool

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh uni
    3 As at A level
    hedge fund internship
    accountancy internship last summer
    Accountancy internship this summer at big4

chances for IBD as a graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Good, though depends on what you did at the hedge fund. If you got a good insight into trading at a decent hedge fund and are applying for trading, then I'd say chances are very good. Otherwise you'd have an perfectly-decent chance (good uni, good grades, semi-relevant work experience), but the hedge fund is what makes you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Good, though depends on what you did at the hedge fund. If you got a good insight into trading at a decent hedge fund and are applying for trading, then I'd say chances are very good. Otherwise you'd have an perfectly-decent chance (good uni, good grades, semi-relevant work experience), but the hedge fund is what makes you stand out.
    Thanks for the opinion- gives me a bit of hope at least, eh. I'm just worried that having done two accountancy internships in a row most recently I will be typecast as an accountant, not banker material. Oh well, only one way to find out.

ReputationRep:
    heres a case secnario for you all (possibly real, possibly mine)....
    Mediocre A-levels
    Strong degree in Economics (at least 2:i) at Brunel or somewhere similar (due to a-levels)
    Sandwhich placement somewhere (assosciated with banking)
    MS'c at city in Investment management.....

Could i work as analyst at a Tier 1 bank - will the 2:1 from the mediocre uni and MS'c from city make up for the rest? will city reject me even though i have a 2:1 but becasue it came from brunel or somewhere similar?
    what do i need to do, In light of what is mentioned above.

.......please, no sarcy or impossible replies, such as get better a-levels.........helpful advice much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooCool)
    heres a case secnario for you all (possibly real, possibly mine)....
    Mediocre A-levels
    Strong degree in Economics (at least 2:i) at Brunel or somewhere similar (due to a-levels)
    Sandwhich placement somewhere (assosciated with banking)
    MS'c at city in Investment management.....

Could i work as analyst at a Tier 1 bank - will the 2:1 from the mediocre uni and MS'c from city make up for the rest? will city reject me even though i have a 2:1 but becasue it came from brunel or somewhere similar?
    what do i need to do, In light of what is mentioned above.

.......please, no sarcy or impossible replies, such as get better a-levels.........helpful advice much appreciated
    please don't misconstrue this for being sarcy, its not, but:

- you'll get rejected on the grounds that you are from Brunel, nothing to do with 2:1.
    - MSc from City Uni (I'm assuming its not CASS) is not that prestigious.

what i'd do in your place is:
    Stage 1: get an FO job (in S&T) in a lower tiered bank.
    Stage 2: learn as much as i can, trade my little socks off, get high P/L, get recognition + bigger book +promotions.
    Stage 3: get headhunted into top tiered bank.

the biggest snag i can see is that its very hard to get distinguished in a lower tiered bank and i might not be good enough (P/L related) to get into tier 1 bank.

ReputationRep:

- you'll get rejected on the grounds that you are from Brunel, nothing to do with 2:1.
    - MSc from City Uni (I'm assuming its not CASS) is not that prestigious.
    OK. so your saying that city would reject me, regardless of how high my degree was, soleley because it was from brunel - (i was talking about CASS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooCool)
    OK. so your saying that city would reject me, regardless of how high my degree was, soleley because it was from brunel - (i was talking about CASS)
    i think there was a misunderstanding. do you have MSc at City/Cass? no!? if so...

do you want to masters at Cass? - if yes, then no, i don't think they will reject you, but read their prospectus (depending on the number of applicants they might require 1:1)

or, do you want to do a grad role in a bank? - if yes, you have zero chance of getting into top tiered banks and you'll have to do the Aleksey Vayner to get into lower tiered ones.

but you can't do both at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    or, do you want to do a grad role in a bank? - if yes, you have zero chance of getting into top tiered banks and you'll have to do the Aleksey Vayner to get into lower tiered ones.
    My plan was to do the economics course, do the masters at CASS, and then start applying for roles at banks. i do recognise that my chances of landing a Grad role are near zero, but do u think the chances of landing a FO job after graduating with a masters are significantly/remotely improved?

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic for the discussion atm, but after my high school ends next year I have about 6 weeks before I have to go do a year of military service. Would working for free at a boutique bank for a few weeks during that time help my chances of getting a proper internship while I'm at university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IBFlight745)
    Slightly off topic for the discussion atm, but after my high school ends next year I have about 6 weeks before I have to go do a year of military service. Would working for free at a boutique bank for a few weeks during that time help my chances of getting a proper internship while I'm at university?
    I believe it would help in terms of the networking opp. you would be exposed to there. much of the work you would be doing would not be as intensive. but the aim should be to learn as much as you can through networking and so on.
    if you perform well on the tasks you are assigned, you could be called back next year or even fastracked to interview stage. this was what we were told by the Graduate rec. team in the bank im currently interning in......

plus having a big name on your CV by your first year of Uni should help land interviews (assuming other areas of your application is strong)

ReputationRep:
    So, basically, only those with the Summer internship will get into the graduate scheme and IB.
    What about those without the summer internship, and already starting their final year this October?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    So, basically, only those with the Summer internship will get into the graduate scheme and IB.
    What about those without the summer internship, and already starting their final year this October?
    if you have NO financial experience i.e -even a spring week on ur CV by ur final YEAR, then it is almost impossible for you to land a a place on the graduate scheme when u finish uni.
    this waas what we werre told.

times are hard. blame the market.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.