The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread Watch

Sub Zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
is Economics at UCL good enough to go into a management consultant like Accenture or McKinsey or one of the top IB like Goldmann, Deutsche bank?

help appreciated
trollman
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
am i?????

see sig
crafty bison
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sub Zero)
is Economics at UCL good enough to go into a management consultant like Accenture or McKinsey or one of the top IB like Goldmann, Deutsche bank?

help appreciated
It would really help if you did a bit of research first - firstly as to which of the two career paths you want to go for, and secondly about the career paths themselves. Accenture and McKinsey should never be mentioned in the same breath, but since those are the two you ask about: yes, it's definitely good enough for Accenture; it COULD be good enough for McKinsey but only with excellent extra-curriculars and work experience.
Sub Zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crafty bison)
It would really help if you did a bit of research first - firstly as to which of the two career paths you want to go for, and secondly about the career paths themselves. Accenture and McKinsey should never be mentioned in the same breath, but since those are the two you ask about: yes, it's definitely good enough for Accenture; it COULD be good enough for McKinsey but only with excellent extra-curriculars and work experience.
who is on the same level as Accenture for management consulting? ibm global business, capgemini, bain and company?
why are mckinsey so selective? surely ucl economics would get an interview?
thanks
Sub Zero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
It is blasphemy to mention Bain in the same breath as Accenture.
Go do your research before embarrassing yourself.
sorry i didn't know as i'm still new to the whole management consultancy/ IB field (i'm 17 if that explains it).
so i'm guessing accenture is in the same league as capgemini and ibm for management consultancy.
crafty bison
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. But one really should describe them as "technology consultancies". You need to decide what sort of a job you want, and do some more research, before asking us any more questions really.

McKinsey and Bain (both of which who you have mentioned) are top-level strategy houses and are almost certainly beyond you (not a slight on you: they're almost certainly beyond everyone). UCL is a black mark on your application to both as within the UK the only universities that will add value to your McKinsey/Bain application are Oxford and Cambridge; however, like I said before, UCL isn't "too bad" and so you could still get an interview with strong ECs and work experience.
PorcineAviation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sub Zero)
who is on the same level as Accenture for management consulting?
Anyone who can piss without assistance.
jamz0770
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PorcineAviation)
Anyone who can piss without assistance.
Those that need assistance to piss give them a run for their money from what I've heard....
Thomassss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

will a 2:1 in maths from uni of Birmingham , give me a decent shot of working in Mergers and Acquisitions , or is it better to pursue Maths and Economic at Birmingham , id rather just to straight maths but if help my employment prospects I could do Econ and Maths
loggins
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomassss)
will a 2:1 in maths from uni of Birmingham , give me a decent shot of working in Mergers and Acquisitions , or is it better to pursue Maths and Economic at Birmingham , id rather just to straight maths but if help my employment prospects I could do Econ and Maths
Birmingham is a non-target, so you've got your work cut out. Maths and Econ would be a good choice, but study whatever makes you happy
crafty bison
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thomassss)
I don't know why you've quoted me here. Consulting is where my knowledge lies. I don't know anything about M&A.

Yet another reason why this forum desperately needs splitting in two.
paddy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know why you've quoted me here. Consulting is where my knowledge lies. I don't know anything about M&A.

Yet another reason why this forum desperately needs splitting in two.
Quick question. Do you think a 12-month industrial placement at IBM will help with applying for graduate roles at other (better) consulting firms?
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy)
Quick question. Do you think a 12-month industrial placement at IBM will help with applying for graduate roles at other (better) consulting firms?
Well it won't do you any harm, that's for sure. IBM are a decent name, by "better" are you referring to McKinsey/Bain/BCG?
paddy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loggins)
Well it won't do you any harm, that's for sure. IBM are a decent name, by "better" are you referring to McKinsey/Bain/BCG?
Well yeah, I mean why wouldn't you aim for the top?

Idk, I guess I just wondered what other companies would think when they saw my IBM placement on my CV :holmes:
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy)
Well yeah, I mean why wouldn't you aim for the top?

Idk, I guess I just wondered what other companies would think when they saw my IBM placement on my CV :holmes:
Yeah, of course, good to aim high! They're ultra competitive, so whatever work experience you have isn't going to allow you to just walk into a job. But any relevant experience is going to add weight to your CV, and IBM is certainly a good name
Thomassss
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by loggins)
Birmingham is a non-target, so you've got your work cut out. Maths and Econ would be a good choice, but study whatever makes you happy
Thanks, id prefer to do straight maths as but if I push myself I could do economics as well

The University prospectus says maths graduates go on to become City Fund managers :confused: ??, should i just stick to aiming for the Big 4 then ?
Thomassss
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jonjon123)
As long as you get into Warwick than you have a good chance. You could get into Front office with bath but its not very common. If you get into Manchester and Loughborough than you can do a masters at top 4 university and hopefully that should increase your application.

2:1 in maths from Birmingham get me into Mergers and Acquisitions?
paddy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by flugestuge)
It may well harm you.
Tech consulting is light years away from strategic consulting.
It would help if you want to move laterally to Accenture or Cap Gemini.
However, for MBB or even for Booz, OW, Lek and Monitor, it will be a negative.
Well the role I have isn't tech-related if that helps :dontknow:
Oharad
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
What sort of aspirations can I expect with:

A Levels:
Maths - A
F. Maths - B
Comp - B
History - A

BSc @ University of St Andrews
Computer Science, Economics, Maths.
loggins
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Oharad)
What sort of aspirations can I expect with:

A Levels:
Maths - A
F. Maths - B
Comp - B
History - A

BSc @ University of St Andrews
Computer Science, Economics, Maths.
You should be aiming for Front Office internships to be fair, depends what you're interested in, but with a course like that, anything from Tech, to Trading, to Structuring should be within reach.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads