Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    UCL. If you get a UCL offer you should take it.

Employers care about overall university reputation. They do not care if your engineering department is 4th best in the UK.

UCL is your best bet at getting an offer without doing a masters. It's also your best bet in general tbh.

If you are desperate to avoid UCL then go to Nottingham.

Loughborough and Cardiff are not rated at all to be perfectly honest. Avoid these.

I really really advise you to wait for UCL though. I may go there myself but I am not biased, I have no interest in converting people into UCL alumni, it is just your best option by far for finance.

The vast majority of people on this forum are not going to be after quant roles tbh.
    Why do you say that? (Look at bold above)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Why do you say that? (Look at bold above)
    He says that because simply Loughborough doesnt not have a great reputation for getting people into BB FO jobs, Its a good uni but is respected far less than Nottingham and UCL in the world of IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    He says that because simply Loughborough doesnt not have a great reputation for getting people into BB FO jobs, Its a good uni but is respected far less than Nottingham and UCL in the world of IB
    I would understand if it were the case with UCL but with Nottingham? Yes Nottingham is betterbut only slightly, "far more" better would be pushing it no? And for the OP's subject (engineering) Loughborough is easily in the top 5.

So do many make it into IB FO from Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
    I would understand if it were the case with UCL but with Nottingham? Yes Nottingham is betterbut only slightly, "far more" better would be pushing it no? And for the OP's subject (engineering) Loughborough is easily in the top 5.

So do many make it into IB FO from Loughborough?
    No employer cares if your department is in the top 5 nationally.

(bold to emphasise)

As for Loughborough, it's only recently gone up in ranking tables. Its reputation still isn't great as compared to Nottingham.

It's all about university rep. Sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    No employer cares if your department is in the top 5 nationally.

(bold to emphasise)

As for Loughborough, it's only recently gone up in ranking tables. Its reputation still isn't great as compared to Nottingham.

It's all about university rep. Sad but true.
    So where would you rank Loughborough for IB recruitment and generally?

ReputationRep:
    So where would you rank Loughborough for IB recruitment and generally?
    Tier 1: Oxbridge, LSE (no order)
    small gap
    Tier 2: Warwick, UCL (no order, although UCL is in London which works for networking)
    gap
    Tier 3: Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Bath (no real order here either)
    Big gap
    Tier 4: varying degrees of everything else tbh.

For anything that isn't IB/Consulting, if you get a good degree (i.e. 2.1 or 1st) then it's fairly alright. Nothing special, but good.

As has been said before nothing is impossible though. You're just going to have a much harder time getting into IB than someone else with the same ECs/grades at a "better" university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    small gap
    Tier 2: Warwick, UCL (no order, although UCL is in London which works for networking)
    gap
    Big gap

For anything that isn't IB/Consulting, if you get a good degree (i.e. 2.1 or 1st) then it's fairly alright. Nothing special, but good.

As has been said before nothing is impossible though. You're just going to have a much harder time getting into IB than someone else with the same ECs/grades at a "better" university.
    So if I want to get into IB, would it be better for me to do say History or Management at UCL or Economics at somewhere just outside the top 12 like Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
    So if I want to get into IB, would it be better for me to do say History or Management at UCL or Economics at somewhere just outside the top 12 like Loughborough?
    Yes. History/Management at UCL > Economics at Loughborough.

Employers focus mostly on university, they don't really care about departmental rankings.

I mean this is just my opinion, but my opinion is based on knowing quite a lot of people working in places like Goldman Sachs :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    small gap
    gap
    Big gap

You left Imperial out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    You left Imperial out?
    Pop it in tier 1 for most things, tier 2 for others.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, what about this one then:

2.1 BSc Management Southampton University
    with
    MSc Business Analytics and Consulting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyyy2807)
    You left Imperial out?
    Why yes I believe I have :holmes:

Not intentional. I've had very little sleep recently :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    YEAH, can someone answer to this guys one:

2.1 BSc Management Southampton University
    MSc Business Analytics and Consulting WARWICK UNIVERSITY I'M ASSUMING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    anyone know some good introductory books for IB????

i have an interview at an IB for a gap year scheme in a few weeks and don't know that much so really would love something simple.

thanks
    Don't take my word for this, cause I'm not at uni yet and haven't had any experience in IB. But I recently bought a copy of "All you need to know about the City - Who does what and why in London's financial markets" and have found it to be very simple and informative.

ReputationRep:
    Going back to my earlier post, I plan to do Mechanical engineering at Nottingham (which it is quite strong for)

however, I pretty much need to get a 1st to stand any chance of a trading job after 3 years?

If a 1st isnt good enough would I need to go on and do a post grad at somewhere like cambridge/imperial/lse?

ReputationRep:
    Certainly aim for a 1st and try get as much finance-related experience on the side
    Having said this, wouldn't say you have no chances if you don't get a 1st..
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    phd in chemistry...want to enter investment banking
    is this possible....if so what do i have to do?

ReputationRep:
    Is it really true that the actual degree doesn't really matter. I've got an offer for Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, but am thinking of changing to Philosophy and Economics or maybe even straight Philosophy at UCL as I think I'd enjoy it more. Would this give me a significant disadvantage? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OVictim)
    Is it really true that the actual degree doesn't really matter. I've got an offer for Statistics, Economics and Finance at UCL, but am thinking of changing to Philosophy and Economics or maybe even straight Philosophy at UCL as I think I'd enjoy it more. Would this give me a significant disadvantage? Cheers.
    A numerate course may help you get offers, but more than anything would be more useful once you start working. The Stats, Econ and Finance at UCL sounds pretty good for IB if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into marketing consultancy:
    Expected A-levels:
    English - A
    Business Studies - A
    ICT - B
    History - B

Firm: Marketing at Aston (AAB)

I also hope to arrange some work experience for the summer holidays with some local marketing agencies.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.