Turn on thread page Beta

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapitalV)
    ^ Similar question as person above

- min 2.1 at King's College London BSc Business Management (I start in September)
    - speak 3 languages fluently
    - 2 languages intermediate-fluent (at present)
    - Alternative Investment internship last summer at a german bank
    - will do an internship this summer at either Glencore or Deloitte or SwissRe (which one of these would be most reputable/best for IB?)
    - I hope to get more internships under my belt throughout Uni...so probably/hopefully one or two more internships.

If anyone could tell me how much of a chance I stand at breaking into FO BB I'd be very thankful.

NB: would a Law degree from King's, again 2.1 or better, be better?

Cheers everyone.
    I think you have a reasonable chance. Any internships you can get in IB will of course help you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    OK from what I've read, I maybe don't have a great chance of getting into an IB but comments please. I'm going to apply anyway and would like input on how I can improve my prospects.

GCSEs - AAAAABBCC
    A Levels- Economics (A) Business Studies (A) Maths (B)

I was accepted to some reputable schools (Incl. Durham, Newcastle, York) but instead decided to go straight into work. - I worked as a trainee Accountant for 3 years with a local firm (producing accounts, auditing etc.) and am qualified AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians).

I then decided that I would like to get a degree on my CV and found that Northumbria University had a course whereby candidates with experience such as mine could obtain a degree by just completing the final year of the Accounting and Finance course - so that is where I am now, due to graduate this summer. Ideally, I would have liked to attend one of the more reputable schools (with respect to Northumbria, it is a great place to study), but as far as I could see, this was the only place offering such an opportunity.

I am now considering going for a role within an IB. Figuring that a degree from Northumbria isn't going to do the trick, I am looking at doing a masters at Durham or Newcastle (finance/banking/investment related).

I have no banking internships on my CV.

What I would like to know is -

Will they throw out my CV because I went to Northumbria?

Regarding the Masters - I believe Durham would stand me in better stead than Newcastle? but would Durham be anywhere near as good as LSE for example? (LSE is much more expensive, probably out of my price range, assuming they would accept me which is, of course, no inevitability).

What can I do to improve my CV to stand me in better stead for an IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bramlow)
    Chances depend on what extracurriculars you have. Do you have any banking internships?

Generally hopes are low if you're thinking of applying to "IB or consultancy". It just screams that you just want a job that pays well. Do you have a legitimate interest in either of these fields?
    No banking internships yet, i'm only first year though.

Extracurriculars mostly around charity, but also a bit of sport and peer mentoring, also doing a teaching placement over a few weeks in the summer in a secondary school.

Well, I'm not really interested in IB, I worded my question badly looking at it. I know its pretty much the highest paid grad job you can do, but it just doesn't interest me.
    More interested in consultancy, I have been looking at this for a while, across from standard management/strategic consultants to scientific/technical type consulting. I guess I've been looking at it because I'm generally good at analysing problems, it's part of the reason I chose my course. Consultancy seemed to revolve around doing this and coming up with solutions, which appealed to me.

Do you reckon I've got a decent chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Tone)
    I believe Durham would stand me in better stead than Newcastle?
    Yes.

but would Durham be anywhere near as good as LSE for example?
    No.

What can I do to improve my CV to stand me in better stead for an IB?
    Go to LSE.
    Get an IB internship.
    Get a First.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3006)
    No banking internships yet, i'm only first year though.

Extracurriculars mostly around charity, but also a bit of sport and peer mentoring, also doing a teaching placement over a few weeks in the summer in a secondary school.

Well, I'm not really interested in IB, I worded my question badly looking at it. I know its pretty much the highest paid grad job you can do, but it just doesn't interest me.
    More interested in consultancy, I have been looking at this for a while, across from standard management/strategic consultants to scientific/technical type consulting. I guess I've been looking at it because I'm generally good at analysing problems, it's part of the reason I chose my course. Consultancy seemed to revolve around doing this and coming up with solutions, which appealed to me.

Do you reckon I've got a decent chance?
    It depends what kind of consulting you want to go into. The strat houses tend to go for Oxbridge students and not a lot else. The larger firms such as Accenture, however, should be achievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Yes.

No.

Go to LSE.
    Get an IB internship.
    Get a First.

Is it normal for a graduate to get an internship? Aren't they aimed at university students on gap years?

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal for a graduate to get an internship? Aren't they aimed at university students on gap years?
    Internships refer to placements lasting about 10 weeks and are normally held during the summer holidays. They are open to university students currently enrolled at university.

Industrial placements are what last 12 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Internships refer to placements lasting about 10 weeks and are normally held during the summer holidays. They are open to university students currently enrolled at university.

Industrial placements are what last 12 months.
    I'm assuming it's too late to apply for an internship for this summer... (please correct if I'm wrong)
    Would it be out of place for me to apply for one next summer as a Master's student?

ReputationRep:
    ...just been on Goldman Sach's 'site... apparently not!

ReputationRep:
    ...just been on Goldman Sach's 'site... apparently not!
    Depends on the role and the company. Sufficed to say that there isn't much left out there by now.

As for being a Masters student next year it depends on the company, some might some might not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Depends on the role and the company. Sufficed to say that there isn't much left out there by now.

As for being a Masters student next year it depends on the company, some might some might not.
    Well I'll just have to apply for them all as a Master's student next year. Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of consulting you want to go into. The strat houses tend to go for Oxbridge students and not a lot else. The larger firms such as Accenture, however, should be achievable.
    Ah ok, Accenture have been the main firm I've been looking at, so to know I have a chance with them is amazing!

Is there any chance you could explain to me the different kinds of consulting that you mean?
    And what is meant by strat houses?

Thanks for you help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3006)
    Ah ok, Accenture have been the main firm I've been looking at, so to know I have a chance with them is amazing!

Is there any chance you could explain to me the different kinds of consulting that you mean?

Thanks for you help
    Strat Houses are Management Consultancies which specialize in strategic consulting, so youve got your MBB, OW, Monitor etc

Firms like Accenture, Logica, IBM concentrate on IT consultancy and the implementation and use of IT sysytems within a business

Then you have the big 4 which are traditionally accounting firms but have consulting arms, they seem to be less respected as they are less traditional consultancies.

I might be wrong, in which case I'm sure someone will correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3006)

Thanks for you help
    ^ Basically what James said is accurate.

The difference in terms of your experience is that the strategy firms tend to pay more, and to let you have more impact on projects. They're regarded as more 'sexy' places to work, because you get to rub shoulders with some of the most influential businesspeople and government officials in the world.

Accenture do still pay very well, however, and get their fair share of excellent projects. You can actually do strategy consulting at Accenture, but it's not really their forte.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Basically what James said is accurate.

The difference in terms of your experience is that the strategy firms tend to pay more, and to let you have more impact on projects. They're regarded as more 'sexy' places to work, because you get to rub shoulders with some of the most influential businesspeople and government officials in the world.

Accenture do still pay very well, however, and get their fair share of excellent projects. You can actually do strategy consulting at Accenture, but it's not really their forte.
    Now is probably not the best time for Accenture though :no:

Still, I'm amused by the mental image you just gave me. "You work for McKinsey? Wow, sexy :sexface:"

ReputationRep:
    why bother?

ReputationRep:
    There should be a Sorting Hat for banking to save us the trouble of having to answer the endless stream of questions from dumb teenagers too lazy to read the fvcking forum.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for no nonsense honest answers here, rough percentages would be great as I am wasting a lot of time thinking about this.

What are my chances of a FO sales and trading job at a bulge bracket firm?

With hypothetically in 3 years time

A 1st/2:1 (touch wood) in mechanical engineering from nottingham

ECs: Nottingham entrepreneurs, nottingham investment society + a sport

Languages? Do these even matter for s&t?

I really want to know if I am way behind the pack or stand a chance (of gaining internships while I am at uni or a full time offer afterwards) or if I don't I can concentrate on my 'back up plan' of engineering.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    Chances: 100% given that you want it enough (and I don't mean this to come across in a preaching tone).

Chances if your input is as much as the average 'Top 6' applicant: 5%

In addition to all the standard things expected, you'll have to differentiate yourself from everyone else by firstly, getting an excellent CV and secondly, by not leaving it to 'chance'.

Differentiate yourself in your CV: Get some experience in a financial institution. Whether it's for a week or 10, it doesn't matter. Search for HFs/ Family offices/ Insurance Companies / M+A Boutiques etc in Nottingham. Call/Email until you are successful. Do this in your first year, or ideally in the summer before you start uni.

Also, something unusual: Become a pilot / produce a Top 40 single/ break the Guinness world record for most pringles eaten in a minute sort of thing.

As for not leaving it to chance: Attend every event, contact HR repeatedly, stalk people on LinkedIn/Facebook and ask them to forward your CV to HR etc. Do whatever it takes to get your name know in order to get an interview.

For the most part, your uni/grades/work experience can only get you an interview. The rest is down to whether you're actually any good and likeable in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Is Trinity College Dublin well respected in the UK?

What Universities would it be seen on par with in terms of careers in Investment Banking?

Im considering doing Economics there.. Theres many quantative options within it so im happy

I hear you can even transfer your Trinity Degree for an Oxford/Cambridge one (these colleges are linked historically) I dunno if this stands for business, though

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.