Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah i see its very tough, but with aberdeen least i have a chance. so you think that aberdeen will give me a more than good shot at very competitive jobs?

do you think that a economics with a lauguage will give me something different. can i do that even though i didnt study a language at a level? what other unis apart from aberdeen do you suggest i should apply for then with 260-280points?

any suggestions on things to look at for my gap year?
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.
    i worked on the trading desk with the stockbrokers and sales traders.

what other unis apart from aberdeen do you suggest i should apply for then with 260-280points?

any suggestions on things to look at for my gap year? im not sure what i can get for a year??
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    You do know that some applications expect you to have a minimum of like 300 points before you can apply...
    (to investment banks i mean)

ReputationRep:
    applications for what? do you mean for gap years?

any other suggestions on what i could do then? to help me get into a job in and around the money markets?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get the grades then get as much work experience as you possibly can. That might help to boost you up when you are competing with Oxbridge and top 5 graduates.

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions on were i can get work exp?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedfenings)
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah id love to enter middle office or even back office and work my way up. i feel with the contacts i may have a chance of middle office. so you agree that economics with a lauguage will give me something different. can i do that even though i didnt study a language at a level? what other unis apart from aberdeen do you suggest i should apply for then with 260-280points?

any suggestions on things to look at for my gap year?
    Thanks again
    If you really want to you could temp in an IB for a year, but that would be an awful gap year experience. I would go travelling and have fun personally. BO>FO is pretty hard to say the least, but obviously not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    what you mean temp? how would i do that?

why would that be so bad?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    CS seems to take anyone nowadays... (sorry, rant)

First of all, ask yourself why you want to work in investment banking... you're not becoming a cool person because of doing so, many will laugh at you. Is it about the money? I guess I won't be able to change your mind then and you have to make the experience yourself.

So, if you still want to work in this sector later on... here are your options:
    - get better grades and try to get at least into Warwick for economics (though a place lake e.g. Nottingham should give you a shot also if you keep your focus on ib)
    - get additional relevant work experience by doing a gap year, then get a first and do some internships in between
    - get a high 2:1 or first and do a relevant postgraduate degree at one of the target universities.

If you're not too focused on investment banking but want to end up in a bank or similar environment (with a similar salary), focus on econometrics, statistics, basically, become a quant. You will get a job basically everywhere you want with a Master's or PhD... but don't think it will be fun.

ReputationRep:
    what you mean temp? how would i do that?

why would that be so bad?

Thanks
    Wasting a whole year temping would be awful. While everyone else is having a good time abroad on their gap yah.

ReputationRep:
    but with aberdeen i could do similar jobs in banking? similar wage? similar enviroment? etc

any other unis similar to aberdeen?

what could i do on my gap year then? write to ib? any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Your too late, most of the gap year programs (KPMG, Deloitte, Bank of England, Accenture) filled up months ago and you need something like 300 or 320 UCAS points. If you really want to improve your chances, resit your A-Levels and try and get AAB minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Top investment banks are ideally looking for people from the Top 5 economics unis. That is where they will be focussing their recruitment for top graduate jobs, because that is where they expect the best graduates. That Means Cam, Ox, LSE, UCL and Warwick.

Of course, they aren't going to just ignore other unis, especially if you have good work experience, references and so on, but they want to see a lot of brain in there. Looking at Aberdeen, its place at around 30th in the Times list makes it a bit worrying. Deutschebank, JPMorgan, CredSuisse and so on are gonna be looking for the creme de la creme of grads, who have a degree from a uni with a reputation that shows they're both intelligent and very hard working - prepared for those 70 hour weeks and so on.

ReputationRep:
    but with aberdeen i could do similar jobs in banking? similar wage? similar enviroment? etc

any other unis similar to aberdeen?

what could i do on my gap year then? write to ib? any advice?
    No offence but how did you actually get experience in IB in the first place?

You must have some idea of the industry & how to get in if you have done work experience at CS, couldn't you get gap year work experience by the same method you used to get your CS work experience?

ReputationRep:
    what can i do on my gap year?

ReputationRep:
    yeah but any other things i could look at?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice.
    i worked on the trading desk with the stockbrokers and sales traders.

what other unis apart from aberdeen do you suggest i should apply for then with 260-280points?

any suggestions on things to look at for my gap year? im not sure what i can get for a year??
    Thanks again
    How strong a relationship do you have with them? This could help you land FO quite considerably regardless of academics. If you know them well and they are willing to help you then you will make it onto a grad programme quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    hello. i am a 20 y/o from italy, doing my first year of management engineering at Milan Polytechnic (best in italy for engineering). Here the Bsc lasts 3 years and the Msc 2 years.

My professional goal is to work in strat management consulting (McK above all), but I'm also doing some research on S&T and IBD and would enjoy to work there too (even though not as much as in McK).

ReputationRep:
    what can i do on my gap year?
    go to burma
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pow!)
    go to burma
    Gap Yah :pierre:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.