Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
    i know, i'm slightly thinking about taking a year out and then taking a level maths. and then applying to places like warwick and lse. i was going to go for a first anyway at aston and then do a msc in economics or finance at a different uni like warwick or lse lol. when you say ECs, what do you mean. i mean how will that help me?
    Extracurriculars: Join the Finance society, the Economics society, the football team, etc. All those things that make you look like a disciplined and committed but well rounded individual with a keen interest in finance. IBs don't just want booksmart robots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daui)
    Extracurriculars: Join the Finance society, the Economics society, the football team, etc. All those things that make you look like a disciplined and committed but well rounded individual with a keen interest in finance. IBs don't just want booksmart robots.
    ohh ok, i get ya. i already play cricket for a team. but yeah, i will do stuff like that. i know my chances are slim but it would be nice to try and see how far i get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheProdigy2k9)
    ohh ok, i get ya. i already play cricket for a team. but yeah, i will do stuff like that. i know my chances are slim but it would be nice to try and see how far i get
    Try and get onto Society committees. It looks good on your CV / application.

ReputationRep:
    Think I might as well give this a go:

GCSE:5A*s/6As
    AS: 4A's : English, Philosophy, Economics, Maths

Currently sitting my A-Level exams. I am going to take a gap year and partake in the Deloitte Scholars Scheme.

Have got a deferred place in Warwick to study PPE, so grades permitting, will do this after the gap year.

I can imagine that judgements at this stage are probably quite arbitrary, but can anyone give any advice/guidance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgyant)
    Think I might as well give this a go:

GCSE:5A*s/6As
    AS: 4A's : English, Philosophy, Economics, Maths

Currently sitting my A-Level exams. I am going to take a gap year and partake in the Deloitte Scholars Scheme.

Have got a deferred place in Warwick to study PPE, so grades permitting, will do this after the gap year.

I can imagine that judgements at this stage are probably quite arbitrary, but can anyone give any advice/guidance?
    Looks good. Make sure to apply for Spring weeks and partake in societies when you get to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Looks good. Make sure to apply for Spring weeks and partake in societies when you get to Warwick.
    Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Will have to manage it with my Deloitte Scholar obligations though. Speaking of that, how important do you think it will be in differentiating me from other candidates?

And, are there any chance of getting spring interns during a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll definitely do that. Will have to manage it with my Deloitte Scholar obligations though. Speaking of that, how important do you think it will be in differentiating me from other candidates?
    Sorry don't know anything about this programme so can't comment on this.

And, are there any chance of getting spring interns during a gap year?
    No, you have to be a first year at University. There are opportunities for gap year students at certain financial firms but you'll need to do the research.

ReputationRep:
    I currently attend Loughborough University studying BSc Economics. I have failed to get an internship at the end of my 2nd year so I am taking a GMAT over the summer and applying for LSE. Would my chances be good with a LSE MSc Accounting & Finance degree along with a First or high 2.1 from Loughborough Economics?

Also gunning for an internship inbetween my final year and masters, because sadly I was unsuccessful this year after numerous assessment centers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Would my chances be good with a LSE MSc Accounting & Finance degree along with a First or high 2.1 from Loughborough Economics?
    Your chances would be better, but not necessarily "good".
    Your first degree from Loughborough places you at a disadvantage
    when compared to those from target universities like LSE, Ox, Cam, UCL, ICL.

ReputationRep:
    I currently attend Loughborough University studying BSc Economics. I have failed to get an internship at the end of my 2nd year so I am taking a GMAT over the summer and applying for LSE. Would my chances be good with a LSE MSc Accounting & Finance degree along with a First or high 2.1 from Loughborough Economics?

Also gunning for an internship inbetween my final year and masters, because sadly I was unsuccessful this year after numerous assessment centers.
    They'd be better, yes. You'd be paying for the brand name on your CV. Treat the next year as a second chance of a 'penultimate' year, and apply for the internships again (with the knowledge/experience you know now). Failing that (which you really shouldn't second time around, there's hundreds of finance related positions you can apply for)/assuming you don't convert, apply for grad roles whilst doing the Msc - the LSE name should open some more doors for interviews. Couple this with the fact that IB recruitment is on the up, I think you'll have a pretty good shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Your chances would be better, but not necessarily "good".
    Your first degree from Loughborough places you at a disadvantage
    when compared to those from target universities like LSE, Ox, Cam, UCL, ICL.
    Hmmm..

ReputationRep:
    flugestuge... I've witnessed people from far worse universities than Loughborough complete an LSE MSc and land FO offers. You chat so much **** its unreal. Going to LSE opens up alumni networks one could only dream of.

Loughborough is still a solid top 15-20 University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Predictably, the Loughborough students turn up with their inferiority complexes.
    You really are a complete retard.

ReputationRep:
    You really are a complete retard.
    Ironic; the loughborough graduate-to-be, calling somebody else a retard.

Fact is, regardless of the fact you may end up on an Msc programme at LSE, there'll be tonnes of candidates much better than you who don't have to suffer the great undignifying motion of stating 'Luffbra' on their CV.
    Go play low league sport or something, and leave the real work to the competent people. Jog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SureWeather)

Fact is, regardless of the fact you may end up on an Msc programme at LSE, there'll be tonnes of candidates much better than you who don't have to suffer the great undignifying motion of stating 'Luffbra' on their CV.
    Go play low league sport or something, and leave the real work to the competent people. Jog.
    Good post.

I hate that name.

ReputationRep:

flugestuge on another alias? I don't know why I bother posting on these pathetic forums full of A-level kids. The advice here is useless and wrong. Apart from Haz who I assume is actually working in IB.

ReputationRep:
    flugestuge on another alias? I don't know why I bother posting on these pathetic forums full of A-level kids. The advice here is useless and wrong. Apart from Haz who I assume is actually working in IB.
    Incorrect.

Hmm yes, the only person on this forum working in IB is Haz. Incredible logic right there. Who needs 'Oxbridge thinking' when we've got Luffbruv's finest right here?

ReputationRep:
    So which investment bank do you work at?

I got interviews at BNP-P S&T, ICAP Voice Broking, MS Risk, and KPMG CF all from Loughborough with last minute applications... I honestly think you have no idea what you are talking about if you think IB's are only interested in Oxbridge. I understand I am trying to have a sensible conversation with a moron and this probably won't go anywhere, but I'm worried that your ignorance and stupidity might deter the more naive who read these forums, and are considering a career in IB.

http://www.morganstanley.com/about/c...les/index.html - If you look at the profiles of Traders at Morgan Stanley there is a VP from Loughborough Economics who joined in 2006. So it obviously isn't impossible.

ReputationRep:
    So which investment bank do you work at?
    Inspiring rhetoric, sir.

I'm off to Oxford to study Maths next year. Know your place boy.

ReputationRep:
    Inspiring rhetoric, sir.

I'm off to Oxford to study Maths next year. Know your place boy.
    Too much of a pussy for STEP?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.