Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    So, off-cycle internships DO NOT lead to FT offers?
    They can do, but that's not necessarily their purpose, especially for the longer term internships (6-12 months). Summer internships exist for the sole purpose of recruiting, while longer term internships are useful for a few months' of cheap monkey grunt work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    They can do, but that's not necessarily their purpose, especially for the longer term internships (6-12 months). Summer internships exist for the sole purpose of recruiting, while longer term internships are useful for a few months' of cheap monkey grunt work.
    Right it makes sense. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    That being said a certain bank I interned at converted just about every long term intern (most were graduates) that asked for it. But yeah, summer interns are mostly useless and it's basically a long interview.

ReputationRep:
    My A-Levels aren't impressive :/
    Maths (B) Business Studies (D) Physics (E)

I got a 2:1 BSc Business Economics from Middlesex University

and a pass MSc Finance and Financial Law from SOAS

What are my chances? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    You would be ok for an accountancy firm.
    With some luck, you might get into the back office (security, IT ) of an IB.
    Don't all the top 50 accounting firms have A level filters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonbonbonbons)

How'd you get a B in a relatively hard A level and flunk Business Studies?
    Chances of IB?

Slim to none. Unless ou can find an unheard of extremely unconventional route into IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonbonbonbons)

To be honest, I think you'll struggle a lot to break through. You have awful A Levels which will see you filtered out by most places, and your undergraduate university is pretty poor. SOAS is a decent university, though it's not generally targeted by banks. You might be best off just keeping the A Levels off your CV and applying speculatively to some smaller companies. Maybe try and tap into the SOAS alumni network. Good luck, you'll need it.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think you'll struggle a lot to break through. You have awful A Levels which will see you filtered out by most places, and your undergraduate university is pretty poor. SOAS is a decent university, though it's not generally targeted by banks. You might be best off just keeping the A Levels off your CV and applying speculatively to some smaller companies. Maybe try and tap into the SOAS alumni network. Good luck, you'll need it.
    Good advice. If you know anyone in the industry as well, it'd be a good time to call them!

Bb.

ReputationRep:
    hello
    i am wondering would i be a good candidate for IB :p:
    i will probably have grades at A level Math (B) Economics (A) Accounts (A) Business (A)

i applied for loughborough york keele leicester and warwick for either economics ( liecester) Economics and finance (loughborough york warwick) and economics and maths (Keele)
    i got accepted in all of the unis :eek:
    but due to family problems i will be doing maths and economics at keele :stomp: :no:
    im hopin to get a first or a 2:1 in maths and economics
    so im wondering will this be a good choice
    or if i cant get into it
    is it better to change my course to economics and finance or accounting and finance??
    any help would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i have no name)
    hello
    i will probably have grades at A level Math (B) Economics (A) Accounts (A) Business (A)

i applied for loughborough york keele leicester and warwick for either economics ( liecester) Economics and finance (loughborough york warwick) and economics and maths (Keele)
    but due to family problems i will be doing maths and economics at keele :stomp: :no:
    or if i cant get into it
    is it better to change my course to economics and finance or accounting and finance??
    any help would be great
    Don't limit yourself mate. Go to Warwick/Loughborough/York over Keele, the former will give you the best chance at IB. I too have family issues and have to stay in Uni at London so I advise against it if you can, go to the best choice you can get to!

ReputationRep:
    hello

or if i cant get into it
    any help would be great
    Fvck family. Go to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    guys i would love to go to a top uni but due to family issues it aint possible right now so technically i should be askin is there any chance gettin into IB with maths and economics at keele? keele is 6th best in the country for maths and pretty good for economics
    also if it helps i plan to do a masters in economics/maths in one of the top unis when my family problem is sorted something like oxford, cambridge,lse,warwick sooo basically would i get into IB if i get like a first or 2:1 from keele and doin masters?? or is there no chance in hell and i should do crappy ACCA/CIMA :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    guys i would love to go to a top uni but due to family issues it aint possible right now so technically i should be askin is there any chance gettin into IB with maths and economics at keele? keele is 6th best in the country for maths and pretty good for economics
    also if it helps i plan to do a masters in economics/maths in one of the top unis when my family problem is sorted something like oxford, cambridge,lse,warwick sooo basically would i get into IB if i get like a first or 2:1 from keele and doin masters?? or is there no chance in hell and i should do crappy ACCA/CIMA :stomp:
    Take a year or two out. It's not worth going to a non target university for 3 years...if banking is your ultimate aim.

ReputationRep:
    Take a year or two out. It's not worth going to a non target university for 3 years...if banking is your ultimate aim.
    hmm i was considering that mate actually just doing a year at keele and transferring somewhere else
    so theres no chance then to go into IB with keele then???

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just break the family issue and go to warwick, it's a decision which will massively impact the rest of your life for the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcl)
    right I just wanted to ask, do you think its worth doing the 3/4 day school programme at JP morgan?
    I know it may not be that great, but for the name on the CV - helping getting internships at uni, I though I'd post here as alot of you have already been through the process of internships etc
    I'm doing a 6 month gap year scheme at rothschild as well
    and will be doing PPE at warwick
    so should I do the JPM thing??
    Anything is better than nothing. A lot of 1st years put Spring Weeks on their CV to help them land internships, and those are only 3-5 days long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Anything is better than nothing. A lot of 1st years put Spring Weeks on their CV to help them land internships, and those are only 3-5 days long.
    Seconded. Having some experience at top institutions must count for something. I'm going to DB for 5 weeks!

As a mid-tier university undergraduate, I am aware of the competition that i'm facing.

I am interested in getting into sell-side equity research. What are my chances of realistically getting into a mid-cap/boutique investment bank for a summer internship, such as alliance bernstein, numis, etc? or should I aim lower by getting into an accountancy firm first and then switching over after getting an ACA qualification.

Academic

-Currently studying for IMC, hoping to get it within the next month to bolster my chances
    -University of Birmingham - BSc Accounting & Finance, 1st year
    -Achieved 1st class honours in 1st year (I'm aware a 2:1 from any top 6 would probably easily beat this)
    -Personal Skills Award (a certificate where you do 3 extra modules aimed at increasing employability skills -outside of degree, and endorsed by PwC)
    -GCE A level's - Maths (B), Chemistry (B), Physics (B), Economics (C), Project Work (B), General Paper (D), Chinese (D)

I did my A levels in Singapore, where the system is slightly different; all students have to take a minimum of 7 subjects. If you count only 3 subjects, then i get 300 ucas points, but if it's all subjects..then probably over 450points or something.

Work experience / EC
    -8 week intern at a small unknown accounting firm
    -1 week intern at PKF (#10 accounting firm)
    -Volunteer at North Birmingham Community Credit Union

-Treasurer of UoBirmingham's Singaporean Society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Seconded. Having some experience at top institutions must count for something. I'm going to DB for 5 weeks!
    What you gonna be doing there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    What you gonna be doing there?
    Global Markets - Think we get to change to another desk halfway through though. Really want FX.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.