Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    corporate finance in PWC, KPMG, et al.

the only brokerage houses i've heard of are voltrex, icap and killik, don't know if they are good or not.

very good - and in that order.
    You do know that Notts and UCL only ask for BBB or something, and most students studying the course do not have straight A's judging by their average entry tariffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    You do know that Notts and UCL only ask for BBB or something, and most students studying the course do not have straight A's judging by their average entry tariffs.
    no, i didn't know that. but the OP was asking about his chance at IB from these unis, and as they are all target uni, his chances are very good. but naturally, imprerial>ucl>notts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmymagic07)
    Is it as difficult for tech positions?

I did undergrad at Westminster (got a 1st), didn't do A-levels (did a BTED ND, which I kinda regret but also really enjoyed..) and will be going to LSE to do an MSc (ADMIS) next year (grad 2010).

I have work experience at the MOD as an IT Analyst/Developer and will be completing a year (before LSE entry) at Cisco (again IT/Business Analyst) before the end of the year.

Any idea? I'm pretty sure tech positions are slightly easier to get into, but not entirely sure if I have a chance of a decent position.
    No one, please?

ReputationRep:
    .du u know what kind of online test icap take for intern job ?? thanks

ReputationRep:
    shl/psl & verbal, most likely. but you can always do a dummy application and see for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babooshka88)
    Guys, any help much appreciated with this basic question. I'm a Geography student at Oxford and I'm massively keen to get into a bank on the milkround, but I'm aware that my chances are narrowed down by the fact that my degree mainly involves painting by numbers. I've made it as much to do with finance as I can and my dissertation is about banking in the City. Nonetheless it doesn't take a genius to work out that I am at a disadvantage to people who took better degrees. What shall I apply to in order to maximize my chances? I've been told Corporate Finance and to aim at second/third tier banks but any other views/opinions/tips are much appreciated.
    as long as you get past the SHL test, does it really matter?

if you've got crap AC and poor/no internship then it doesn't matter where you apply, you'll still get rejected.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, meant to say ECs, extra-curricular activities, so stuff like:
    - capitain of a team
    - president/treasurer of a soc
    - running your own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    sorry, meant to say ECs, extra-curricular activities, so stuff like:
    - capitain of a team
    - president/treasurer of a soc
    - running your own business.
    I wonder, :rolleyes: do they call university and ask if you really are the captain of your university team??
    I'm in the university team, but there's no proof. You can simply say anything. Can you not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UglyDuckling)
    I wonder, :rolleyes: do they call university and ask if you really are the captain of your university team??
    I'm in the university team, but there's no proof. You can simply say anything. Can you not?
    i think they'll figure out that there is something amiss when they see two 'UCL Football 1st XI' capitains.

ReputationRep:
    well im also confused about that because i know of 3 people who have exaggerated their EC's and have internships, the thing is so long as you are able to speak convincingly about it at interview, i doubt there will be much need to veirfy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talentless)
    well im also confused about that because i know of 3 people who have exaggerated their EC's and have internships, the thing is so long as you are able to speak convincingly about it at interview, i doubt there will be much need to veirfy.
    True, but if you're found out, you'll be fired. It's happened to people before when they're found to have lied on their application. Is it worth the risk? Possibly in places, but usually you'll have enough things on your application to make lying about one extra-curricular not really worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    True, but if you're found out, you'll be fired. It's happened to people before when they're found to have lied on their application. Is it worth the risk? Possibly in places, but usually you'll have enough things on your application to make lying about one extra-curricular not really worth it.
    Hey Drogue, you seem like a nice chap who knows what he is talking about.

If I were to do an MSc at LSE (ADMIS), having previously done Computer Science at a low ranked University (first), would it matter too much that I did not do A-Levels? Particularly if I had work experience from a blue chip (Cisco)?

Assuming I wanted to go into a Business Analyst/Technology role, which is the position I will have blue chip experience in. I know it depends on additional details etc. but would someone get to interview with this profile?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    I can't see A levels or the lack of them mattering much if you have a first class degree, a masters and some experience. If it does, it would seem silly. Generally after working a few years, degree doesn't matter either, since it's all about experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Drogue, I feel the same way but then I may be a little bias. I guess doing a Masters does show intellectual ability, regardless of what I did back when I was 16.

ReputationRep:
    ok, if i get the grades, i'll be studying law at LSE...do i have a chance...or will i be bottom of the pile because i study law?

ReputationRep:
    for IB: you'll be top of the pile because you are studying at lse
    for markets: depends on your maths a-level, but i'd say somewhere in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    For Physics (at Durham), where do you think I can fit in?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone advise, i am studying Economics at University of East Anglia acheived high 2.1 in first year a mark away from a first unfortuately. I have good set of EC's and have attended an Insight day in my first year. I want to get into S&T, i am not to fussed which bank i work at just want to get a foot in the door. With what i have do i stand a chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man123)
    Can anyone advise, i am studying Economics at University of East Anglia acheived high 2.1 in first year a mark away from a first unfortuately. I have good set of EC's and have attended an Insight day in my first year. I want to get into S&T, i am not to fussed which bank i work at just want to get a foot in the door. With what i have do i stand a chance?
    east anglia is your downfall mate. sorry. try aiming for lower tiered banks (lloyds, hbos, comerzbank) and apply to corporates (bp, shell) for commodity trading.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right thank you. I know East Anglia is not a target university but would i have a decent chance with lower tier banks such as KBC peel hunt and hopefully RWE trading? What would you advie to improve my chances?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.