Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Not necessarily. Depends on Bank. You've always got the types who think Trading is 'cool' and know nothing about it.

You cannot compare placement for IBD and S&T. They look for different things, personalities. Having said that, the skill set is quite similar in Sales and IBD.
    If by "skillset" you mean pitching then yes, but that's where the similarity ends. While a knack for bulls***ing is all you need to rise through the ranks in Sales, it wont get you very far in IBD.

ReputationRep:
    I might give IB a go, can see myself in Sales.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS year and due to circumstances I cannot go into the profession I wanted to (medical related careers) and befitting that career choice I chose Biology, Chemistry, Geography (I chose 3 because I couldn't do 4 due to health related issues) and anyway, in my gcses I achieved everything over a B but no A*s unfortunately =/, on top of this, I have work experience in a solicitors, dentist, hospital, pharmacy and I feel these are all unrelated to wanting to do IB, which really sucks because I don't know what to put on my personal statement, other stuff I'm doing to try to counteract this is by hopefully doing the young enterprise (my school didn't have it before and I'm trying to get in into my school - is that worth mentioning on the PS?) and I have some family members in quite high up positions in Goldman Sachs, and Merrill Lynch, which can hopefully get me work experience / an internship?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to apply for summer internships at investment banks, problem is I don't have any work experience whatsoever and I'll need to write up a CV pretty soon for banks like Barcap and UBS. I've finished my second year at Cambridge with a 2.i but I'm worried that the lack of work experience will be a massive disadvantage, I'm under the impression that these banks get way too many applications from capable people anyway so seemingly minor things can get your application rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice.Edwards)
    I've just finished my AS year and due to circumstances I cannot go into the profession I wanted to (medical related careers) and befitting that career choice I chose Biology, Chemistry, Geography (I chose 3 because I couldn't do 4 due to health related issues) and anyway, in my gcses I achieved everything over a B but no A*s unfortunately =/, on top of this, I have work experience in a solicitors, dentist, hospital, pharmacy and I feel these are all unrelated to wanting to do IB, which really sucks because I don't know what to put on my personal statement, other stuff I'm doing to try to counteract this is by hopefully doing the young enterprise (my school didn't have it before and I'm trying to get in into my school - is that worth mentioning on the PS?) and I have some family members in quite high up positions in Goldman Sachs, and Merrill Lynch, which can hopefully get me work experience / an internship?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.
    the solicitors experience could be applied to an IB application- no one at your stage is going to have any experience in an IB so i dont think u shud be worried. A solicitor works to tight deadlines for clients who can be demanding and operates in a strict legal framework ... similar to M&A.

Also i dont see why your worried as you dont need to mention IB in your personal statement(and some tutors might actually dislike the idea that their taking in a student who jsut wants to go off andd make loads of money in IB).Whast courses are you thinking of applying for?

Yes young enterprise is always good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttt22)
    the solicitors experience could be applied to an IB application- no one at your stage is going to have any experience in an IB so i dont think u shud be worried. A solicitor works to tight deadlines for clients who can be demanding and operates in a strict legal framework ... similar to M&A.

Also i dont see why your worried as you dont need to mention IB in your personal statement(and some tutors might actually dislike the idea that their taking in a student who jsut wants to go off andd make loads of money in IB).Whast courses are you thinking of applying for?

Yes young enterprise is always good.
    I think the problem would be that all my other work experiences would be irrelevant, I could say they improved my confidence/team-working skills/patient contact, but I'd be worried they would think I'm blagging it. I was thinking of applying for economics and accountancy, is that okay?

Also thanks for the advice

It is very rare that any student has any work experience that has a profound impact on their university application.

I wouldn't worry about it.

To the kid who has finished their 2nd year at Cam, think of the application process as a multi-stage lottery that anyone can win but better applications simply mean you've bought more tickets.

If the prospect of facing a lottery is not appealing, change the game. It's possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    It is very rare that any student has any work experience that has a profound impact on their university application.

I wouldn't worry about it.

To the kid who has finished their 2nd year at Cam, think of the application process as a multi-stage lottery that anyone can win but better applications simply mean you've bought more tickets.

If the prospect of facing a lottery is not appealing, change the game. It's possible.

ReputationRep:
    Yea

ReputationRep:
    I am a 2nd year Economics student who took 2 years out to smoke dope and watch internet movies of an adult nature, I am returning to complete my degree in Economics at a 10-20 ranked course in London(QM or RH), have some contacts, and I am not a complete social div (or a think I'm not severe acne doesn't help) . If I aim to get a 1st in my degree what are my chances of becoming an investment banker, or getting a junior analyst position/grad scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice.Edwards)
    I think the problem would be that all my other work experiences would be irrelevant, I could say they improved my confidence/team-working skills/patient contact, but I'd be worried they would think I'm blagging it. I was thinking of applying for economics and accountancy, is that okay?

Also thanks for the advice
    As the president said about work ex for your uni application.

Economics and accountancy sounds good but it mostly depends on your university?

ReputationRep:
    what degrees are favoured for consultancy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretence)
    Something related to Business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretence)
    Quantitative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earsnot)
    How does Nottingham Uni Economics rank? obviously its not a target, but semi-target? Are there any places that tend to have a lot of grads from Notts in FO positions? Im trying to decide whether i should take this option, or take a second gap year and re-apply
    Depends more on how realistic your chances are of gettig in somewhere else than on Nottingham's standing with recruiters tbh.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of securing a back/middle office role in a leading investment bank with a 2.1 from Imperial but no related experience (e.g. internship)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mal G)
    What are the chances of securing a back/middle office role in a leading investment bank with a 2.1 from Imperial but no related experience (e.g. internship)?
    Fairly good. What degree?

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am a econ masters student at cambridge, and completed my BA in econ from Delhi University (India) where I was near the top of the class (top 5). I have a public sector internship with ministry of finance in india, a social sector internship with one of india's largest education focused NGO and a year-long part time stint with Google, which amounted pretty much to my helping google with its on campus initiatives, like sponsorships and recruitment.

I led the debate team back at my Delhi University college, headed the community service group. In terms of extracurriculars, i've debated at an international level and acted in street plays.

I'm sceptical as to whether or not I stand a chance to land consulting interviews at good places, given the lack of a solid corporate internship. It'd be great if people at TSR could look at this and tell me what they think of my chances of landing an interview, because if the chances are slim, i'd start applying to back office finance roles as well, even though i'm not interested in banking at all.

thanks.

PS: The google thing was not a break in my education; I did it during my undergrad. So effectively I have no breaks or gap-year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaadegumma)
    Hello

I am a econ masters student at cambridge, and completed my BA in econ from Delhi University (India) where I was near the top of the class (top 5). I have a public sector internship with ministry of finance in india, a social sector internship with one of india's largest education focused NGO and a year-long part time stint with Google, which amounted pretty much to my helping google with its on campus initiatives, like sponsorships and recruitment.

I led the debate team back at my Delhi University college, headed the community service group. In terms of extracurriculars, i've debated at an international level and acted in street plays.

I'm sceptical as to whether or not I stand a chance to land consulting interviews at good places, given the lack of a solid corporate internship. It'd be great if people at TSR could look at this and tell me what they think of my chances of landing an interview, because if the chances are slim, i'd start applying to back office finance roles as well, even though i'm not interested in banking at all.

thanks.

PS: The google thing was not a break in my education; I did it during my undergrad. So effectively I have no breaks or gap-year.
    You sound like a very strong candidate indeed. If I were you I'd try and apply for the top tier and tier 2 firms and see how your applications fare. If you're having a bit of difficulty securing anything, take on board their advice and maybe look to get something in the way of a prestigious internship on your CV.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by yaadegumma)

I'm sceptical as to whether or not I stand a chance to land consulting interviews at good places, given the lack of a solid corporate internship.
    The lack of an internship isn't an issue, consultancy isn't nearly as internship driven as IB. The issue is how closely you can prove you match the required skill set. So don't start from the point of what you have done, start from the company website and the skills they say they want, and then put together the best package of evidence you can.

Broadly, and you can research the company specifics, but the top end MCs want to see academic excellence along with any activity that shows initiative, success and making a positive difference. It doesn't matter much what field that is in, but you need to have seen a problem or opportunity, designed a solution and implemented it in a way that required a whole set of skills from you.

You must demonstrate all the steps of the process, titles about awards and activities are not sufficient. You need to give the reader an idea of the scale and scope of what you did, so be as quantitative as possible, ie how much, how many, $s, %s etc

And if the company visits your university, don't apply until you have seen their presentation. Its first hand, approved advice about that specific company and what they are looking for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.