Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You go to Exeter, where's that?
    funny

and where do you go?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have an interest in banking and finance and so I'm considering the possibility of working in consultancy or even IB in the future. However, I'm not too sure about my profile:

3A* 3A 1B in IGCSEs and an Olevel.
    AAAABbb in A levels and AS levels.
    93% school average.

This year I will be attending my first year of the University of Bristol to study law.

What worries me are my grades in Alevel maths and AS economics and IGCSE economics: all
    Bs. So even though I have an interest in finance it obviously doesn't show on my academic profile.

Any insight and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Alex

PS at university I was thinking of doing an economics and a management course since you're allow to obtain extra credits. Also joining some of the finance and entrepreneurship societies is an option. What do you guys think if these ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Bottom line, I hate to burst your bubble: You will never be an investment banker
    Ohhhhhh BURN.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is currently my first week of 6th form and i'm having to go through real hard choices on what i want to do for my A levels and consequently as a job in the future. I've always loved the prospect of working in an office for a large banking firm and making ridiculous sums of money but right now i'm wondering if such targets are realistic.

ReputationRep:
    well if you get AAA-A*A*A* and get into a top6 Uni for a good subject then theres no reason not to try. Although getting into a top uni with your gcses might be harder. apparently its much more competitive now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!

I got rubbish grades in my GCSE's, ABBBBBCCC. How important of a role will they play?

In my A-Levels I managed ABB (Economics, Mathematics, English Language and Literature). They're not the best, but they're not awful either.

Now, I'm starting my first year at CASS Business School to study Investment and Financial Risk Management.

Also, last year I was at Royal Holloway studying Computer Science but I dropped out after the first term because I didn't like the course structure and felt it wasn't the right choice in subject. Will this be held against me as some form of indecisiveness?

(+rep for the best answer...please quote me if answering.)

ReputationRep:
    Hey TSR!

I got rubbish grades in my GCSE's, ABBBBBCCC. How important of a role will they play?

In my A-Levels I managed ABB (Economics, Mathematics, English Language and Literature). They're not the best, but they're not awful either.

Now, I'm starting my first year at CASS Business School to study Investment and Financial Risk Management.

Also, last year I was at Royal Holloway studying Computer Science but I dropped out after the first term because I didn't like the course structure and felt it wasn't the right choice in subject. Will this be held against me as some form of indecisiveness?

(+rep for the best answer...please quote me if answering.)

ReputationRep:
    How is bath looked at for Front Office/Middle Office? Any good? On level with Durham/Bristol etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    How is bath looked at for Front Office/Middle Office? Any good? On level with Durham/Bristol etc?
    With a mathematics degree, any Russell Group university is well-regarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    With a mathematics degree, any Russell Group university is well-regarded.
    Not for FO.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if it is possible to get a FO final year internship with First class MEng at Imperial in Comp Sci. Only IT/BO internships before.

(Original post by bluejuice421)
    funny

and where do you go?
    Ignore him - he's a Cambridge and LSE reject who is bitter to the core.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's 6A* , 3A's, 1B
    A-Levels - A* maths + Physics, A economics
    Bristol Aero Engineering.
    Would I have much chance getting into a summer internship and ultimately front/ middle office IB work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InquilabZindabad)
    Help please, this is what's going on: I'll be starting a physics degree at UCL in 2 weeks, A-levels and GCSEs weren't perfect but enough to get into uni and physics is quantitative enough to apply I think. Not too sure what exactly to do with the physics degree but I want IB (among other professions of course) to be an option, so looking to apply for 2010 SW. It's clear I don't really stand out atm and I have no solid ECs...looking to join the student paper, finance societies and a sport at uni but so far i'm jack of all trades, master of absolutely none, no previous position as a leader, no finance related experience...Will these new society activities be enough for an internship? How else can I boost my app? I'll admit not knowing much about IB at the moment but it'd be silly not to even try for an SW internship...everyone has to start somewhere I'm just mega-late =/. Thanks and sorry if tl:dr.
    60-80% of candidates are in the same position as you. Just do some reading, such as FT/Economist and/or some books that explain investment banking.

If you're starting in two weeks, you can go around London this week and go to all the boutique (small) investment banks and ask for a one week work experience placement. The chances are very, very slim, it's very likely you will get rejected. But, if you really are eager to boost your application, you might as well try, make sure you look at the companies deadline dates and try and fit it in just (3 days - 1 week) before the company deadline, you can do it after but it really won't help your SW but it have some affect upon your summer application though.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol Uni, got boarderline 2.1/1st in first year in acc and fin.

done 4 week work exp/intern at private equity firm this summer.

3 A's at a level

Chances of FO IB?

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me like most of you are not asking for advice but asking for 'what's the chance' as if we can give a a % response...

...someone should just create an excel calculator that you guys can plug your variables into.

Seriously, tell us about your situation, tell us your concerns and we can tell you if they are valid and how to mitigate against them or if you have bigger concerns that you haven't considered. No one can give you a % response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    It seems to me like most of you are not asking for advice but asking for 'what's the chance' as if we can give a a % response...

...someone should just create an excel calculator that you guys can plug your variables into.

Seriously, tell us about your situation, tell us your concerns and we can tell you if they are valid and how to mitigate against them or if you have bigger concerns that you haven't considered. No one can give you a % response.
    Is that really so unreasonable? Either your CV is binned based on uni/grades/experience or it isn't. Don't think it's that difficult to come up with answers like "you have a good chance at getting an interview".

People who write into this thread for help should restrict themselves to absolutely no more than 40 words.

And sell yourselves as individuals. Grade monkeys are dozens per peanut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigFudamental)
    Is that really so unreasonable? Either your CV is binned based on uni/grades/experience or it isn't. Don't think it's that difficult to come up with answers like "you have a good chance at getting an interview".
    Fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    People who write into this thread for help should restrict themselves to absolutely no more than 40 words.

And sell yourselves as individuals. Grade monkeys are dozens per peanut.
    This.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.