Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c12andn15)
    I think you have a unique story and your academics would warrant an interview. Definitely apply if you think it's right for you .
    Thanks, I am really glad to have found this forum- it is extremely helpful for someone in my position.
    My careers lady also suggested banking. TBH I am struggling to see how someone with my skills (or, ahem, lack thereof) could be placed in banking. I have researched some of the big banks, but I am unfamiliar with their language etc and so find myself a bit lost. I know that there are many roles I am definitely not suited to, but I thought 'banks are big institutions, there has to be something I could do'. Are there any sites/forums that introduce the different grad schemes, etc? If not, does anyone have any advice on what sort of role (and so what sort of scheme) someone like me should apply for (my academic history being in rather abstract politics).
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    OK, found the intro into investment banking sticky- that should answer most of the Questions in my last post!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staysha)
    Thanks, I am really glad to have found this forum- it is extremely helpful for someone in my position.
    My careers lady also suggested banking. TBH I am struggling to see how someone with my skills (or, ahem, lack thereof) could be placed in banking. I have researched some of the big banks, but I am unfamiliar with their language etc and so find myself a bit lost. I know that there are many roles I am definitely not suited to, but I thought 'banks are big institutions, there has to be something I could do'. Are there any sites/forums that introduce the different grad schemes, etc? If not, does anyone have any advice on what sort of role (and so what sort of scheme) someone like me should apply for (my academic history being in rather abstract politics).
    Thanks again
    What is your PHD in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    What is your PHD in?
    Government.

ReputationRep:
    Will doing a Humanities degree at Cardiff Uni give me zero chance of working in investment banking/stocks etc?
    Just say i came out with a 1st or 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    Does work experience necessarily have to be much in banking? As I've not had any yet, but will apply for summer internships, but obviously I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get these with no prior experience. I've worked at Deloitte for 7 months on their gap year internships as an auditor and will be doing my placements in Consulting, but that's it.

As for education wise, I got AAAB at A level and am going to Oxford this October to do E&M. Will be applying for internships at the end of this year, but I'm just having a think about what I'm going to do at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Does work experience necessarily have to be much in banking? As I've not had any yet, but will apply for summer internships, but obviously I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get these with no prior experience. I've worked at Deloitte for 7 months on their gap year internships as an auditor and will be doing my placements in Consulting, but that's it.

As for education wise, I got AAAB at A level and am going to Oxford this October to do E&M. Will be applying for internships at the end of this year, but I'm just having a think about what I'm going to do at the moment.
    Aren't you going to apply to spring weeks (first year internships)? If so, you don't need experience for spring week and even if you did, you have it.

PS, you said 'will be doing' which is future tense so when are you scheduled to do that placement?

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you going to apply to spring weeks (first year internships)? If so, you don't need experience for spring week and even if you did, you have it.

PS, you said 'will be doing' which is future tense so when are you scheduled to do that placement?
    Yeah, I'll be applying for spring weeks as well. Do we apply for those around November time, i.e. for Spring 2011?

As for the placements in Consulting for Deloitte, these will be at Christmas. I'll be doing either Consulting or Tax this Christmas and definitely doing Consulting the following Christmas. I just have to commit to 4 week placements per year for Deloitte. We'll be working out the exact scheduling in two weeks or so.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'll be applying for spring weeks as well. Do we apply for those around November time, i.e. for Spring 2011?
    Why not apply now? The earlier the better. It's not like your going to have accomplished something significant enough to make a difference to your application in 1-2 months.

As for the placements in Consulting for Deloitte, these will be at Christmas. I'll be doing either Consulting or Tax this Christmas and definitely doing Consulting the following Christmas. I just have to commit to 4 week placements per year for Deloitte. We'll be working out the exact scheduling in two weeks or so.
    Try and make sure you know all the spring week dates so that it doesn't conflict with it.

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply now? The earlier the better. It's not like your going to have accomplished something significant enough to make a difference to your application in 1-2 months.

Try and make sure you know all the spring week dates so that it doesn't conflict with it.
    Fair enough - I've been looking into it so I suppose it's best if I sort out my application before I get super busy with work. And I've made my mind up that I won't be doing any Deloitte placements in spring this year anyway. I'm only going to do them at Christmas.

Do you know how long applications have been open anyway?

ReputationRep:

Also, I'm considering applying to IBD with 90% certainty that this is what I want. But there is part of me which is considering S&T due to the slightly more sociable hours and because I just think it would suit me more (although I think I'd actually perform better in IBD as my quantitative skills are quite good, but not incredible). So, I'm just trying to work out which to go with because as I understand it, it's quite difficult to move between divisions?

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm considering applying to IBD with 90% certainty that this is what I want. But there is part of me which is considering S&T due to the slightly more sociable hours and because I just think it would suit me more (although I think I'd actually perform better in IBD as my quantitative skills are quite good, but not incredible). So, I'm just trying to work out which to go with because as I understand it, it's quite difficult to move between divisions?
    It is kind of hard but it happens. From what I gathered it's more common to go from IBD to S&T than the other way. Anyway, if you want to experience both then when applying to spring weeks send 90% of your applications to IBD and 10% to S&T. Then, you can experience both because it's common for people to have more than 1 spring week.

ReputationRep:
    It is kind of hard but it happens. From what I gathered it's more common to go from IBD to S&T than the other way. Anyway, if you want to experience both then when applying to spring weeks send 90% of your applications to IBD and 10% to S&T. Then, you can experience both because it's common for people to have more than 1 spring week.
    Cool, yeah because I suppose they all seem to have different dates so could well do that Thanks for the advice anyway - I've started my application to BarCap, MS, UBS and DB. Waiting for GS and JPM to open. Have you done a summer internship yet?

ReputationRep:
    Is a humanities degree useless to get into banking if you get don't get it from one of the top 10 Uni's?
    (I'm thinking Welsh Uni's, in particular Cardiff Uni.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDL445)
    Masters – London School of Economics and Political Science; MSc Finance and Economics (Distinction)
    Degree – University of Wales Institute Cardiff; BSc Economics (First Class)
    Diploma – Open University; Mathematics (Pass), Statistics (Pass)

A-Levels – Economics (A*), Business Studies (B), Media Studies (C)
    GCSE – Business Studies (A), Biology (A), Welsh (A), English (B), Mathematics (B), Physics (B), Geography (B), Chemistry (B)

Extra-curricular activities – Captain of the UWIC Golf Team. Successful trading the stock/foreign exchange markets for the last few years had experience trading since I was 16 and had my first job. I’ve worked in a large department store for the last 5 years, 3 of which in a management role. Special Constable with the police, dealt with a lot of highly pressurized situations.
    I crossed out all the bits which would, at best, be of zero use. You won't find it easy, but equally it's not impossible. That's about the most accurate statement I could make.

ReputationRep:
    Masters – London School of Economics and Political Science; MSc Finance and Economics (Distinction)
    Degree – University of Wales Institute Cardiff; BSc Economics (First Class)
    Diploma – Open University; Mathematics (Pass), Statistics (Pass)

A-Levels – Economics (A*), Business Studies (B), Media Studies (C)
    GCSE – Business Studies (A), Biology (A), Welsh (A), English (B), Mathematics (B), Physics (B), Geography (B), Chemistry (B)

Extra-curricular activities – Captain of the UWIC Golf Team. Successful trading the stock/foreign exchange markets for the last few years had experience trading since I was 16 and had my first job. I’ve worked in a large department store for the last 5 years, 3 of which in a management role. Special Constable with the police, dealt with a lot of highly pressurized situations.

How would i do?
    How could you have an A* in Economics when A*s were only just introduced last year? Also, how does one get an A* in Econ and then a B in Business Studies? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radeon.2009)
    How could you have an A* in Economics when A*s were only just introduced last year? Also, how does one get an A* in Econ and then a B in Business Studies? :confused:
    They werent introduced last year, they were put in 2 years ago for students going thru the system at that time.

ReputationRep:
    They werent introduced last year, they were put in 2 years ago for students going thru the system at that time.
    No, only those graduating in 2009 and 2010 would have received the A* grades. In any case, you've completed both a university degree and a Masters which means you couldn't possibly have completed your A levels last year when A*s were first handed out, which is my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radeon.2009)
    No, only those graduating in 2009 and 2010 would have received the A* grades. In any case, you've completed both a university degree and a Masters which means you couldn't possibly have completed your A levels last year when A*s were first handed out, which is my point.
    Presumably he would have got an A* had the new system been in place back in the day and thought it appropriate to amend his qualifications accordingly.

Or more likely, he did get those A levels and is just pretending he'll do those things. That would make him an idiot but he'd be very far from the first on this forum and especially this thread.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.