Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man123)
    Ah right thank you. I know East Anglia is not a target university but would i have a decent chance with lower tier banks such as KBC peel hunt and hopefully RWE trading? What would you advie to improve my chances?
    If by 'decent chance' you mean getting an interview, then maybe, but if you mean getting a job, then no.

ReputationRep:
    When did KBC Peel Hunt have a grad scheme? news to me

ReputationRep:
    Well if i get the interview then hopefully i can get the job. From that point its about how you come accross.

ReputationRep:
    By the way i am looking for a 2nd year internship not a graduate position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by man123)
    Ah right thank you. I know East Anglia is not a target university but would i have a decent chance with lower tier banks such as KBC peel hunt and hopefully RWE trading? What would you advie to improve my chances?
    KBC peel hunt don't have a careers section.

Your best bet is KBC FP (they do internships, but require 320 ucas).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    for IB: you'll be top of the pile because you are studying at lse
    for markets: depends on your maths a-level, but i'd say somewhere in the middle.
    ok cheers for the feedback...though i haven't done maths a-level!! only GCSE (A*)...?...

ReputationRep:
    unless you have an unyielding desire to be a trader/structurer then I'd avoid markets. You can always say you want to be a saleperson, but if i were you, I'd concentrate on ibd.

ReputationRep:
    Would i be better of applying to brokerages or small boutique banks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    True, but if you're found out, you'll be fired. It's happened to people before when they're found to have lied on their application. Is it worth the risk? Possibly in places, but usually you'll have enough things on your application to make lying about one extra-curricular not really worth it.
    Hey! kindly advise;
    Would a degree from Kings college in Geography be ok to get into IB, bearing in mind me having a deep and demonstrated interest in IB??

see my profile posted earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    Hey! kindly advise;
    Would a degree from Kings college in Geography be ok to get into IB, bearing in mind me having a deep and demonstrated interest in IB??
    If
    results day tomorrow is it?

i'd say, it's not impossible... but you'll have a far greater chance with econ from notts.

ReputationRep:
    results day tomorrow is it?

i'd say, it's not impossible... but you'll have a far greater chance with econ from notts.
    yeah nerve wracking.

I have a feeling i would miss Nottz offer. so my back up is to do Geography at Kings, which is a course im also interested in thankfully!

so yeah. I guess my IB dream might be over....
    bt u reckon i'd have to put in extra effort coming from Kings than 4rm nottz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    yeah nerve wracking.

I have a feeling i would miss Nottz offer. so my back up is to do Geography at Kings, which is a course im also interested in thankfully!

well, with kings being from london you never know. Plus UoL careers service is brilliant - got my current internship through them!

I'd guess Kings wouldn't be too bad, if you did a more scientific degree, but then again I'm pretty sure you'll do fine. Although I bet you are wishing now that you should have applied to ssees, so that then you could sly it past the banks as 'UCL' lol.

ReputationRep:
    well, with kings being from london you never know. Plus UoL careers service is brilliant - got my current internship through them!

I'd guess Kings wouldn't be too bad, if you did a more scientific degree, but then again I'm pretty sure you'll do fine. Although I bet you are wishing now that you should have applied to ssees, so that then you could sly it past the banks as 'UCL' lol.
    oh lol. whats SEES?
    are u in UOL btw?
    yeah King's location mite help. ill exploit that as best as i can

my alternative is to do Management at York. isnt that a more mickey mouse course than Geography???

Geography is still considered a serious academic degree in many circles, i would have thot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    yeah nerve wracking.

i dont think so. Remember nottingham is far from london and networking opps are much more limited than you would get at kings. However for FO i think you may be found wanting if the economy does not pick up, but if you enjoy your operations internship and would like to further your ambitions there im sure you'll be more than fine. How's the internship going btw?

ReputationRep:
    I can't find it, but I read an article online from the KCL website about how banks have stated that they don't receive many applications from KCL graduates but are indeed on the look out for them, was an interesting article but this was over a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy)
    oh lol. whats SEES?
    are u in UOL btw?
    yeah King's location mite help. ill exploit that as best as i can

my alternative is to do Management at York. isnt that a more mickey mouse course than Geography???

Geography is still considered a serious academic degree in many circles, i would have thot?
    SSEES - punchline: A levels: ABB, a pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent

i'm at UCL, which is part of UOL. Don't do management.

ReputationRep:
    SSEES - punchline: A levels: ABB, a pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent

i'm at UCL, which is part of UOL. Don't do management.
    hell no lol

ReputationRep:
    LSE Fresher for Accounting and Finance
    A-levels at AAAB (maths, economics, geography and the B in classical civilisation)
    only 1 month accounting work experience
    Some extracurriculars such as debating, model UN, camps sponsored by Fulbright etc
    Want to go into trading.

I will try to be active at LSE and also get easter work+an internship.

How do you rate my chances?

ReputationRep:
    A-level results:
    Maths - C (10 UMS from B)
    Eco - B (11 from A)
    Hist - B (24 from A)
    AS Further Maths - C

I dont know whether this is good enough for IB. I can go to QM and do Eco (clearing) or do Jan resits and achieve the AAB to get into Cass (my original choice this year). Some advice please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)
    A-level results:
    Maths - C (10 UMS from B)
    Eco - B (11 from A)
    Hist - B (24 from A)
    AS Further Maths - C

I dont know whether this is good enough for IB. I can go to QM and do Eco (clearing) or do Jan resits and achieve the AAB to get into Cass (my original choice this year). Some advice please?
    I personally wouldn't take a year our to get into cass..maybe for ucl/warwick.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.