Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I am a penultimate year student at LSE. I had applied to six investment banks by the end of 2010, and unfortunately I have received 3 rejections.

From what it looks like, I don't think I will be getting an Internship for the summer this year.

So, my question is : Is it still possible, to apply and secure a job in Investment Banking in your 3rd year, even if you didn't secure an internship in your 2nd year?

I am a hard working student, who has been predicted to get at least a 2.1 overall and I am also considering taking a Masters too.

Would really appreciate a reply!

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akeeta)
    Hi there!

I am a penultimate year student at LSE. I had applied to six investment banks by the end of 2010, and unfortunately I have received 3 rejections.

From what it looks like, I don't think I will be getting an Internship for the summer this year.

So, my question is : Is it still possible, to apply and secure a job in Investment Banking in your 3rd year, even if you didn't secure an internship in your 2nd year?

I am a hard working student, who has been predicted to get at least a 2.1 overall and I am also considering taking a Masters too.

Thanks!!
    Well I'm no expert and as your at LSE you have a better chance of it than most but when I spoke to someone from Goldman Sachs HR they said that for a graduate position relevant experience is essential. I'm guessing it doesn't have to be an internship at a top bank but you have to have something.

Then again as I said thats just what I was told and may not be the same for all banks/situations.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akeeta)
    Hi there!

Thanks!!
    Are you saying in your applications that you plan to do Masters? If Yes I think Banks tend to prefer applicants who are definitely available to work upon graduation.

ReputationRep:
    Is there such thing as a first year internship? I am currently in my first year studying economics and would idealy like to get into consultancy/IB. To get ahead of the competition what could i do this summer before i start my second year? Are there any internships/schemes for IB?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are my chances of getting into a front-office role at a good investment bank likely to be affected in a significant way by which of my firm and insurance universities that I go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomMcCarthy)
    Are my chances of getting into a front-office role at a good investment bank likely to be affected in a significant way by which of my firm and insurance universities that I go to?
    Well arguably for Front Office, Cambridge is helpful ...however with computer science you would be able to get into Back Office Tech a lot easier than most.

However your Maths insurance offer would make it feasible to get Front Office, since Imperial & Cambridge are both top universities you will be at a target uni for IB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    Well arguably for Front Office, Cambridge is helpful ...however with computer science you would be able to get into Back Office Tech a lot easier than most.

However your Maths insurance offer would make it feasible to get Front Office, since Imperial & Cambridge are both top universities you will be at a target uni for IB...
    Thanks very much for the useful response.

I'm quite new to this so I'm just considering my options at the moment. Do you know where I could find some good resources that would give me some solid info on the front/back office roles? Also, do you know if many people have pre-university summer internships? (In general, not necessarily in a bank)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomMcCarthy)
    Thanks very much for the useful response.

I'm quite new to this so I'm just considering my options at the moment. Do you know where I could find some good resources that would give me some solid info on the front/back office roles? Also, do you know if many people have pre-university summer internships? (In general, not necessarily in a bank)

Thanks

I don't know if you have seen this thread for pre university stuff.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1192921

Or this thread for kinda a detailed TSR resource pack for Investment Banking

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=259237

Yeah you can get a lot of internships/work experience's before university by applying to many schemes and cold calling companies... Be proactive and get in as early as possible because once you are on the HR's books you can be called for Fast Tracks etc to Graduate jobs.

Additionally some banks do not specify that you must be in university or in your penultimate year to apply for the internship (hint Citi Group, Goldman Sachs).

Basically fill your boots :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Sorry for "stealing" this thread but I have a question regarding IB!

Which university would you choose, and why, conserning the highest possible chance of getting into investment banking, prefferebly FO?

Warwick - Management
    LSE - Management Sciences
    City - Banking and International Finance
    UCL - Economics and Business with Eastern European Studies
    King's College - Business Management

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoeste1)
    Hey guys!

Which university would you choose, and why, conserning the highest possible chance of getting into investment banking, prefferebly FO?

Warwick - Management

Thanks!
    Perhaps LSE, especially since 1st year Management Sciences/Economics are basically the same.

LSE seems to get perhaps the most people in FO/MO/BO IB so naturally you are located in London and are perhaps most accessible.

But Warwick, LSE, UCL etc are top tier uni's so the difference is less so pronouced. Doing Eastern European Studies (perhaps with some language) is good especially since some FO positions put applicants with mutliple languages ranked higher, for things like IBD etc!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Warwick - Management

Thanks!
    LSE
    Warwick/UCL

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

1st/2:1 Bsc Physics from Southampton (As of this coming June)

Could anyone advise me of the best route to take from here to get the highest earning job in IB? I've finally and firmly decided that this IS what I'm to do and am going about researching it properly, but thought I'd try you very helpful guys for pointers for my position.

From what i've read it seems I want front office, and one of the big 7 would be great, but seems much more difficult due to my uni choice... I was accepted to UCL, but turned it down - But that wouldn't make a difference to an employer would it! Ah oops!

Should I just apply apply apply and get the best graduate job I can find? and then perhaps later switch wherever I can to where the money is? Or... do an appropriate masters at the best uni I can first? I've not built my CV up for it to this point but am now fully committed to doing so, as late as it is.

Thanks for reading, and a further thanks for any comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erno)
    Hi!

1st/2:1 Bsc Physics from Southampton (As of this coming June)

Could anyone advise me of the best route to take from here to get the highest earning job in IB? I've finally and firmly decided that this IS what I'm to do and am going about researching it properly, but thought I'd try you very helpful guys for pointers for my position.

From what i've read it seems I want front office, and one of the big 7 would be great, but seems much more difficult due to my uni choice... I was accepted to UCL, but turned it down - But that wouldn't make a difference to an employer would it! Ah oops!

Should I just apply apply apply and get the best graduate job I can find? and then perhaps later switch wherever I can to where the money is? Or... do an appropriate masters at the best uni I can first? I've not built my CV up for it to this point but am now fully committed to doing so, as late as it is.

Thanks for reading, and a further thanks for any comment
    Get a Masters in Finance / Investment Banking at CASS /LSE ... and that would give you a decent leg up into the industry..

ReputationRep:
    GCSE

BTEC business - Distinction*
    Maths - A
    Physics - A
    Chemistry - A
    Religious Studies -A
    English language - B
    English Literature - B
    Biology - B
    I.T - C
    Media - C

AS

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Applied Business Studies
    Chemistry
    General Studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial Blitz)
    GCSE

BTEC business - Distinction*
    Maths - A
    Physics - A
    Chemistry - A
    Religious Studies -A
    English language - B
    English Literature - B
    Biology - B
    I.T - C
    Media - C

AS

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Applied Business Studies
    Chemistry
    General Studies
    Pretty sure a few banks ask for A in both GCSE Maths & Eng Lang minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Pretty sure a few banks ask for A in both GCSE Maths & Eng Lang minimum.
    dam really? i got a B in GCSE's English language- is that for any specific divisions?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have got an e-mail from CASS admissions office saing that my PS was more related to economics/business management than to "Banking and International Finance" which I applied for. In the message they told, for considering my application, they needed me to write a new PS about banking and international finance.

Firstly is this a "good sign or a bad sign", and secondly could I still pick parts from my old PS(general parts) and just change a few things so that it applies more to banking?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have got an e-mail from CASS admissions office saing that my PS was more related to economics/business management than to "Banking and International Finance" which I applied for. In the message they told, for considering my application, they needed me to write a new PS about banking and international finance.

Firstly is this a "good sign or a bad sign", and secondly could I still pick parts from my old PS(general parts) and just change a few things so that it applies more to banking?

Thanks!
    If its not a rejection, then its a good sign.

I am guessing you could take parts from your old PS but I would really tailor it to the course.

ReputationRep:
    I am predicted straight As in GCSE and I expect some A*s.

I am thinking of doing Biology, chemistry, maths and history at A level could this get me onto a good economics degree preferably with management at Oxford?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    I am predicted straight As in GCSE and I expect some A*s.

I am thinking of doing Biology, chemistry, maths and history at A level could this get me onto a good economics degree preferably with management at Oxford?

Thanks
    Economics course is a highly competitive course. To maxmise your chances - get as many A* s as possible at GSCE.. ideally 9 plus. Regarding courses - take Further maths, Maths, Eco, History and maybe language upto As level. I think this will give you good uni choices. Good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.