Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeyJ)
    Completely new in this area, saw an ad for Barclays Corporate programmes and got me interested. This is background research (so be gentle). Is it even a little bit worth me applying to Barclays Corp risk programme with

2:1 in Law from UoSouthampton
    AABB at A level (B in Maths)
    Plenty of extra currics and a year working in commercial law firm under my belt.

Just say no point if it would be a waste of my time...
    I went to soton and made it into IB, I know another person through a friend who works at BarCap, and quite a few in BarCorp & Barclays Wealth. Risk is rather aimed at math based subjects though so you might be better off applying for a different strain? That's just me though so take it with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    I'm almost done with my GCSEs, and would like to know if I am on the right track.
    (From so early on, this is all circumstantial, but I'm generally interested if I look like I stand a chance.)

I am on track to get good GCSE results, I'll post what I have done and what I'm expected to get

Addtional Science = A* (Predicted)
    Business Studies = A (predicted)
    Core Science = A* (Achieved)
    English Language = A (predicted)
    English Literature = A (predicted)
    French = C (predicted)
    I.C.T = (Tricky one, I've got 2 A's from it so far, on track to get another A/Dist in my 3rd)
    Maths - Mod 1 = A (Achieved) Mod 3 = A (Achieved) Mod 5 = A (Predicted) A overall (Predicted)
    Religious Studies - Unit 1= B (Achieved) Unit 2 = A (Predicted, seeing as I was just 2 marks off an A first time round)
    Resistant Materials = A (Predicted)

I know those are only predicted, and they may not count as much, but I would want to know the likely hood of getting into sixth forms/colleges

I have already received a provisional offer from Ashmole Sixth form (which has a 92% pass rate as of last year)
    I have an interview for Woodhouse College in a week (which has a 68% A*-B pass rate as of last year)
    I plan to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics (however, I am disputing changing one of the sciences to English Literature)

I am still hazy as to what degree I want to take. I am stuck between Accounting & Finance, and Economics. Which is more useful, in terms of becoming an Investment Banker? I do however, want to go to LSE, or Warwick (With luck, maybe Ofxord or Cambridge).

Additional Notes - I have an Uncle who is an accountant for a private bank (the name has slipped my mind).

I know that all of the information I posted is circumstantial and can be affected by many factors (whether I actually get the grades, the employment rate by the time I have graduated etc), but judging by what I have said, am I good enough?

I would also be thankful if somebody could clear up the degree issue I have, if possible (I thank you in advance )

ReputationRep:
    Hate doing these but since I'm coming up on second year/internship apps I need some outside opinion, I'll keep it brief.

5 A*s, 4 As at GCSE and AAA at A-level (after gap year resits though). At a Red Brick uni or whatever term you want to use, studying history.

I know someone who can arrange work experience/internship at GE Capital...would that help? Also when it comes to applications, should I go for mid/back office just to stand more of a shot?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial Blitz)
    =\ it was a serious question

Am I right in thinking that it's economics?
    If you want to go into trading then maths related degrees are quite important, but for other areas it really doesn't matter as long as you can show some interest in finance then they're very flexible as different degrees help teach you different skills so they nerd a range at any banks that said, most people do economics, and its obviously a very good degree to do for ib, but it won't hinder your chances if you want to do something else

(This is just what I've heard from people I've spoken to at firms but if anyone has heard anything different feel free to disagree!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mendeleev's Table)
    I'm almost done with my GCSEs, and would like to know if I am on the right track.
    (From so early on, this is all circumstantial, but I'm generally interested if I look like I stand a chance.)

I am on track to get good GCSE results, I'll post what I have done and what I'm expected to get

Addtional Science = A* (Predicted)
    Business Studies = A (predicted)
    Core Science = A* (Achieved)
    English Launching = A (predicted)
    English Literature = A (predicted)
    French = C (predicted)
    I.C.T = (Tricky one, I've got 2 A's from it so far, on track to get another A/Dist in my 3rd)
    Maths - Mod 1 = A (Achieved) Mod 3 = A (Achieved) Mod 5 = A (Predicted) A overall (Predicted)
    Religious Studies - Unit 1= B (Achieved) Unit 2 = A (Predicted, seeing as I was just 2 marks off an A first time round)
    Resistant Materials = A (Predicted)

I know those are only predicted, and they may not count as much, but I would want to know the likely hood of getting into sixth forms/colleges

I have already received a provisional offer from Ashmole Sixth form (which has a 92% pass rate as of last year)
    I have an interview for Woodhouse College in a week (which has a 68% A*-B pass rate as of last year)
    I plan to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics (however, I am disputing changing one of the sciences to English Literature)

I am still hazy as to what degree I want to take. I am stuck between Accounting & Finance, and Economics. Which is more useful, in terms of becoming an Investment Banker? I do however, want to go to LSE, or Warwick (With luck, maybe Ofxord or Cambridge).

Additional Notes - I have an Uncle who is an accountant for a private bank (the name has slipped my mind).

I know that all of the information I posted is circumstantial and can be affected by many factors (whether I actually get the grades, the employment rate by the time I have graduated etc), but judging by what I have said, am I good enough?

I would also be thankful if somebody could clear up the degree issue I have, if possible (I thank you in advance )
    Mate, your pretty much on the right track just push for some A* in the sciences and maths. I'm in the same dilemma, go for accountancy and finance at LSE/ Warwick which is much easier to get into than economics, or simply go for eco. At the end of the day I guess accountancy prepares you for IB better than Economics and going to LSE looks great on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Mate, your pretty much on the right track just push for some A* in the sciences and maths. I'm in the same dilemma, go for accountancy and finance at LSE/ Warwick which is much easier to get into than economics, or simply go for eco. At the end of the day I guess accountancy prepares you for IB better than Economics and going to LSE looks great on your CV.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

ReputationRep:
    Economics > Accountancy.

ReputationRep:
    Maths at Imperial or Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial because London dicks the hell out of Coventry, and it's just better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pendulum)
    Imperial because London dicks the hell out of Coventry, and it's just better.
    Have you not seen the Imperial College thread on here, where all the students gave their opinions of it? It's enough to make anyone think twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AI99)
    Maths at Imperial or Warwick?
    Imperial - banks take their main targets from a certain set of universities (which includes Imperial).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pretty Great)
    Imperial - banks take their main targets from a certain set of universities (which includes Imperial).
    It also includes Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    It also includes Warwick
    It's tiered. Whilst it *does* include Warwick, it isn't in the top tier.

This is based on a conversation I had with an HR woman from Credit Suisse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    Surprised to hear that from CS Not the case in terms of what I've seen.
    Eh, at my CS assessment day, out of 10 of us there were 8 "tier 1" (oxbridge, LSE, Imperial etc.) and two "other" (York [me], Nottingham).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earsnot)
    How have you found the summer internship application process in general? I have found the SW process difficult having little work experience has been detrimental, plus the fact I am from Nottingham probably hasnt helped much. I want to know if it gets easier to progress through the summer application process because SW's are a bit of a lottery..

I know you have a GS offer (from another thread) so you must be doing something right..
    Yeah, im interested in this too if you have a GS offer Pretty Great. I am at a top 6 uni, but doing a course outside of the main maths/economics/statistics/engineering courses. Spring weeks have seemed to be very much, top 6 economics/maths/stats etc students, plus those with a wow factor from outside unis. Wondering if summer internships are easier as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    Yeah, im interested in this too if you have a GS offer Pretty Great. I am at a top 6 uni, but doing a course outside of the main maths/economics/statistics/engineering courses. Spring weeks have seemed to be very much, top 6 economics/maths/stats etc students, plus those with a wow factor from outside unis. Wondering if summer internships are easier as well?
    I've never considered anything except the summer internships so I can't compare them to spring. To be honest I only actually put effort into my GS application - I didn't prepare for my CS interview and didn't put as much work into the CS application forms (and as a result I didn't get an offer from them).

I'm at York studying a non-financial subject, but I really pushed my extracurriculars in the interview. The best thing to do is find something that you have that you're proud of, and take control of the interview to focus on that topic.

I had 7 interviews for GS, though I've heard of people having up to 12. There are a lot of tricks that you really have to know when applying/ being interviewed, which puts people who don't know them at a massive disadvantage. I was blessed to have an extremely naggy mother who forced these down my throat.

ReputationRep:
    what are the chances of someone getting into a front office job if they do economics from university of birmingham, AABB at A level in economics,accounts,maths and business. 7A* 3A at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earsnot)
    Quite low but it is certainly possible if you are good enough in the field you want to go into. Get as much experience as you can before university and you should hopefully get a spring week. then it is very possible that you will end up in FO if you are good enough.
    what kind of experience should i try for? most banks say they give experience to people already in uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics.

Is this OK to get me onto a suitable degree for Investment banking or do I need Further Maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
    I'm taking Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics.

Is this OK to get me onto a suitable degree for Investment banking or do I need Further Maths?
    or medicine maybe..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.