Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    MORSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earsnot)
    Firstly, I don't think you should rise to it guitar hero.

Secondly, you might not make your oxford offer, you might drop out of oxford after 2 weeks, anything can happen. So really, you haven't got anywhere but you are on a good path.

For the question you initially asked, try and get work experience and read bloomberg or wsj once or twice a week to pick up the main market themes. If you can demonstrate these things to IB's you will do okay from oxford university, that is, if you are any good in the first place.
    Thanks for the honest opinion, much appreciated
    I'll look into it !

ReputationRep:
    When I was interviewing at Goldman Sachs for a spring internship there were two Oxford chemists in my group, and they didnt know anything about markets to be honest. They still made it to interview.
    That is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    MORSE
    Any specific reasons? What if I'm looking to go aboad in the Americas (USA or Canada) will MORSE be recognised? I know UCL is well known abroad but I'm not sure about Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Any specific reasons? What if I'm looking to go aboad in the Americas (USA or Canada) will MORSE be recognised? I know UCL is well known abroad but I'm not sure about Warwick.
    I don't know. But I think it's the best course. If you are worried about prestige, then yes UCL might be a better choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    That is ridiculous.
    Actually it's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Ok I got offers from UCL, Warwick and bath. Ucl and bath for maths and Warwick for MORSE. Anyone got any opinions on what to firm for te best chances? Thanks.
    MORSE is the best course of the three; is Warwick's flagship course, and places very well into the top banks. If you're worried about international reputation, then UCL has a slight advantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Actually it's not.
    Explain why?

ReputationRep:
    Actually it's not.
    That was an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephens)
    Explain why?
    Oxbridge bias is heavily documented in banking, and especially management consultancy. Lots of people from Oxbridge studying arts subjects (like History, Languages etc), who aren't that commercially aware, get into banking simply because of this bias.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge bias is heavily documented in banking, and especially management consultancy. Lots of people from Oxbridge studying arts subjects (like History, Languages etc), who aren't that commercially aware, get into banking simply because of this bias.
    In my eyes this is support for it being ridiculous. Maybe we misunderstand each other, i don't mean the story is ridiculous, but that fact that it is true is what is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    When I was interviewing at Goldman Sachs for a spring internship there were two Oxford chemists in my group, and they didnt know anything about markets to be honest. They still made it to interview.
    sweet, Hopefully I'll be more prepared when my time comes
    I'm open to say I know nothing now, but I have an awful long time to learn it

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not ridiculous to believe that these people get into banking simply because of the university they went to, whether they did Celtic studies or Music, I can understand that. But is it not ridiculous to believe one could access that type of job market without having any prior training or background in that market?

ReputationRep:

How much evidence do you have to support this?

It would be easy for me to claim, I haven't got a clue about banking & I go to *uni x* to potentially put off other candidates off into thinking I am a rubbish contender for the job.

Surely, I could just pretend I was from a rubbish uni, etc etc when I meet other students during the interview process...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)
    How much evidence do you have to support this?

It would be easy for me to claim, I haven't got a clue about banking & I go to *uni x* to potentially put off other candidates off into thinking I am a rubbish contender for the job.

Surely, I could just pretend I was from a rubbish uni, etc etc when I meet other students during the interview process...
    lolwut?

ReputationRep:
    "It all seems a bit complicated" the guy from oxford said to me. he was a second year chemist doing a 4 year course. We were looking at the cnbc channel on the TV's around GS. I was thinking the same as you mate, pretty incredible really.

Hey,

I remember from past threads that you're studying Economics at Nottingham...

I was wondering how hard it has been for you to get interviews from banks such as GS and CS etc. I'm about to firm my offer for Economics and Econometrics at Nottingham, and i'm hoping to make it into the banking industry later on, but i've heard Nottingham is a "semi-target" university for employers, thus making it harder to get interviews...I understand that once you are in the interview, most of it is down to you as a person, but I was just wondering how hard it has been for you to get interviews coming from an Economics student at Nottingham?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Right, here's my situation

-In final year of school in Scotland (so don't do A levels etc)
    -Got AAAAA in highers, Maths, English, Economics, History, Chemistry.
    -Offers from St Andrews (unconditional) and Durham (AAA at advanced higher) for pure economics
    -My advanced highers are Applied Maths: Statistics, Economics, History. Predicted all A's.
    -Got good work experience and extra-curriculars

I have lots of questions lol.

1) Is there any difference between St Andrews and Durham in the eyes of the employers?
    2) I remember being told Edinburgh was the 5th largest financial centre in Europe. Does anyone have any info about IB/wealth management jobs in Edinburgh compared to London, as in do they view universities differently (eg might st andrews be considered stronger in Edinburgh than in London?).
    3) What is the best way to go about getting internships?
    4) How much do London banks know about advanced highers? They're not the same as A-Levels at all (eg you have to do dissertations, Oxford standard offer for advanced higher is AAB). Will my grades in them be considered as important as A-Levels when in Scotland they're sort of seen as something you do to fill a year.

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blair93)
    Right, here's my situation

-In final year of school in Scotland (so don't do A levels etc)
    -Got AAAAA in highers, Maths, English, Economics, History, Chemistry.
    -Offers from St Andrews (unconditional) and Durham (AAA at advanced higher) for pure economics
    -My advanced highers are Applied Maths: Statistics, Economics, History. Predicted all A's.
    -Got good work experience and extra-curriculars

I have lots of questions lol.

1) Is there any difference between St Andrews and Durham in the eyes of the employers?
    2) I remember being told Edinburgh was the 5th largest financial centre in Europe. Does anyone have any info about IB/wealth management jobs in Edinburgh compared to London, as in do they view universities differently (eg might st andrews be considered stronger in Edinburgh than in London?).
    3) What is the best way to go about getting internships?
    4) How much do London banks know about advanced highers? They're not the same as A-Levels at all (eg you have to do dissertations, Oxford standard offer for advanced higher is AAB). Will my grades in them be considered as important as A-Levels when in Scotland they're sort of seen as something you do to fill a year.

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions
    Pick Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Not too difficult. The main problem I had was a lack of work experience. Also I could have gave better answers to competency questions asked on my applications. I had three interviews and 1 offer in total. There are a few here who have had more work experience through schools programmes etc who have multiple offers.

You can do it from here if you are good enough. It is easier to stand out from Nottingham. Just get as much experience as you can and read wsj/bloomberg twice a week.
    Cheers for the reply

When you say work experience, do you mean like 1/2 week(s) work experience in Banks (I did a week's work in Barclays in year 12), and actual real life work experience?

Also, when do people usually undertake most work experience? During school or first year's of university? Atm, I have worked 1 week at Barclays Canary Wharf, and so i'm guessing more will be needed.

Also, at Nottingham, do many Banks come to the university to recruit students (like the milk round etc.) at fairs etc.?

Thanks again for the info

ReputationRep:
    Yeh experience wherever possible really. Obviously banks like barcap is good, but other areas of the sector like M&A boutiques, advisory, Private equity, hedge funds, proprietary trading firms, stockbrokers bla bla bla. Anywhere that will give you exposure to the market and will help you understand how parts of IB works first hand if thats where you want to go for a career.

The kids here had done stuff at school and on gap years etc, but I spent time at an M&A boutique in my first semester and others had stuff in december. basically, if you can get experience, get it, whenever you can. It will help prop up your CV above the rest. Your week at Barcap is a good start.

Yeh we have a few DB, HSBC, Barcap, GS (sometimes) and others i cant remember. but the whole grind of getting into IB means that you have to go and find opportunities to talk to banks, so go to conferences in London, network and send out speculative emails to employees. thats how you progress. The banks when they come dont tell you anything you couldnt find out yourself from the website its just about making contacts- but like i say, you should always go further afield so its not really a problem that ' not every single' bank comes to Nottingham.
    Thanks a lot for the info

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.