Lille2109
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am in the last year of A Levels so I have a high workload, particularly with coursework. I struggled last year doing 4 AS subjects alongside Welsh Bacc and had to make the choice of either letting them suffer or letting my Welsh Bacc suffer. My Welsh Bacc grade suffered A LOT. I had 3 A's and a B in my AS Levels and I've carried on with the subjects I had 3 A's in however I don't even know if I'd be able to pass Welsh Bacc this year. I've found it difficult since we started year 13 too but I'm finding it exceptionally difficult now as teachers are putting more pressure on coursework and encouraging us to revise and on top of that we have Welsh Bacc presentations to do. I know I have to make the same decision as last year - do I let my A Levels or Welsh Bacc suffer? I know what I'd chose but I also don't want to fail Welsh Bacc. I don't want to have 3 good grades and then a bad one. On top of that, it's just causing me loads of unnecessary stress.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I sympathise greatly with your plight.

You are already doing four A-levels, so another A-level-size piece of project work is probably the last thing you need right now! I assume, though, that you have already completed most of the work for Bacc? If your personal investigation is already mostly complete, would you just be able to turn it in more or less as it is, and then wing it for your presentation?

If the above is unlikely to get you a passing mark, I would ask to see your Head of 6th and set out the situation in blunt terms. S/he will want you to get the very best possible grades in your A-levels --- that's probably the main goal right now --- so tell them that something has to give, and that will have to be the Bacc.

Will you be applying for uni this year? If so, it might be the case that the Bacc will be named as an alternative part of the offer. (E.g. AAB at A-level or ABB if you get at least a C in the Bacc. Some unis even take the Bacc in lieu of an A-level.)

Basically, talk to your teachers --- either the Head of the 6th, Bacc coordinator or form tutor (or all three!), and tell them how you see it. They will want you to do your best, and will help you plan for that.
Lille2109
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
I sympathise greatly with your plight.

You are already doing four A-levels, so another A-level-size piece of project work is probably the last thing you need right now! I assume, though, that you have already completed most of the work for Bacc? If your personal investigation is already mostly complete, would you just be able to turn it in more or less as it is, and then wing it for your presentation?

If the above is unlikely to get you a passing mark, I would ask to see your Head of 6th and set out the situation in blunt terms. S/he will want you to get the very best possible grades in your A-levels --- that's probably the main goal right now --- so tell them that something has to give, and that will have to be the Bacc.

Will you be applying for uni this year? If so, it might be the case that the Bacc will be named as an alternative part of the offer. (E.g. AAB at A-level or ABB if you get at least a C in the Bacc. Some unis even take the Bacc in lieu of an A-level.)

Basically, talk to your teachers --- either the Head of the 6th, Bacc coordinator or form tutor (or all three!), and tell them how you see it. They will want you to do your best, and will help you plan for that.
Thank you for replying

I'm halfway through my community project and have just about started my investigation. Although to me it doesn't really matter how much I have/haven't done. I feel that the additional stress is not worth it either way and it's definitely not worth it if it's affecting my other subjects which are the ones that get me into uni. I considered dropping it after Year 12 but decided to persevere but now that revision is more regularly being brought up I'm starting to realise that this isn't really doable.

I have been predicted A*s in all subjects which is a lot of pressure and work in itself and definitely not something I can achieve by putting 110% into all subjects including bacc while also trying to save it after my grades from last year. And I don't want to achieve decent grades in my A Levels and be let down by a bad one in bacc I have applied for uni and made my firm and insurance choice. For my firm Welsh bacc only affects it if I get a B where they lower it by a grade and for my insurance, I can substitute a subject for bacc if I get a B. Realistically, I won't get a B without jeopardising my a levels and I'm more likely to need to rely on bacc to get into uni because I am doing it and it's affecting my other subjects!

I'm going to speak to my teacher Monday as he wants to discuss my grades with me anyway.
Last edited by Lille2109; 10 months ago
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Lille2109)
Thank you for replying

I'm halfway through my community project and have just about started my investigation. Although to me it doesn't really matter how much I have/haven't done. I feel that the additional stress is not worth it either way and it's definitely not worth it if it's affecting my other subjects which are the ones that get me into uni. I considered dropping it after Year 12 but decided to persevere but now that revision is more regularly being brought up I'm starting to realise that this isn't really doable.

I have been predicted A*s in all subjects which is a lot of pressure and work in itself and definitely not something I can achieve by putting 110% into all subjects including bacc while also trying to save it after my grades from last year. And I don't want to achieve decent grades in my A Levels and be let down by a bad one in bacc I have applied for uni and made my firm and insurance choice. For my firm Welsh bacc only affects it if I get a B where they lower it by a grade and for my insurance, I can substitute a subject for bacc if I get a B. Realistically, I won't get a B without jeopardising my a levels and I'm more likely to need to rely on bacc to get into uni because I am doing it and it's affecting my other subjects!

I'm going to speak to my teacher Monday as he wants to discuss my grades with me anyway.
Ok, well I'd ask to drop it in that case.

AAAB at AS were excellent grades, and you'll want to maximise your chances of getting the very highest grades at A-level.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The problem is schools are reluctant to let students drop Welsh Bac because it is Welsh Assembly policy to get it taken and schools see it as a way of increasing their points and making the school look good. Schools in Wales should be putting the students interests first but unfortunately they put the schools interest before their students. The problem is that you are competing against English students for university places and they are able to concentrate on 3 A levels whilst you are having extra pressure on you. Added to that a number of English universities dont accept it. I would just stop working at it. That would make your school look bad which is what they deserve. However you are in a position that if you have shown you are taking it on your ucas form and you dont take it you are breaking your contract with ucas and the universities could, but almost certainly wouldnt, withdraw any offer they made to you so you need to ask if they mind if you drop it before doing so. A poor result in Welsh Bac wouldnt affect your place at university but a dropped grade at A level might. Just concentrate on your A levels and do as little on your Welsh Bac as you can.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.4%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (337)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.58%

Watched Threads