Whatever happened to the "coldest winter in 60 years"? Watch

Ferrograd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
We were all told how cold it was going to be etc. Know winter isn't even over yet, but I would have thoght we would have had a taste of something colder by now. Where I am in the southeast and probs for most of the country a lot of days have been in the very low teens (10-12) and it hasn't got to freezing, coldest day so far was the 1st where i was where it didn't get above 6C.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didn't hear that
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I didn't hear that
didn't hear what?
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah for the whole winter I never had to wear my massive coat just a thin one and sometimes even a t-shirt. General rule is if we have a freezing winter we have a boiling summer. We are gonna have a cold summer now. Greta Thunberg was right😂😂
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
didn't hear what?
That we were due for the coldest winter in 60 years
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If this is from the daily express long term weather forecast, it’s worth noting these are made by an individual whose forecasts are usually wrong.

https://www.skeptical-science.com/pe...daily-express/
Karisa96
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There's still time!!!!
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
If this is from the daily express long term weather forecast, it’s worth noting these are made by an individual whose forecasts are usually wrong.

https://www.skeptical-science.com/pe...daily-express/
It wasn't, James Madden is a liar. It was from some long term study, that was actually in proper newspapers.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/08/new-b...ears-10706341/
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zed03)
Yeah for the whole winter I never had to wear my massive coat just a thin one and sometimes even a t-shirt. General rule is if we have a freezing winter we have a boiling summer. We are gonna have a cold summer now. Greta Thunberg was right😂😂
Is there any actual evidence for that rule? seems interesting. 2018 had cold winter, summer was hot but what about 2019? there were a lot of cold days but we also had 20C in february and still had a hot summer.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We were all told how cold it was going to be etc. Know winter isn't even over yet, but I would have thoght we would have had a taste of something colder by now. Where I am in the southeast and probs for most of the country a lot of days have been in the very low teens (10-12) and it hasn't got to freezing, coldest day so far was the 1st where i was where it didn't get above 6C.
Daily Express? They are bull****ters. Why they are allowed to exaggerate headlines, ban them
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is not correct.

As somebody who has been a member of Netweather for more than a decade I can tell you that the Met Office and ECWMF seasonal (pretty much the only statistically respectable seasonal models) were both gunning for a pretty poor winter.

Forecasts of a cold winter sold to papers are just from odd folk who wishcast and should never be believed. We had a run of northern blocking in November which got people excited but that gave way to a strong polar vortex pretty quickly.
It wasn't, James Madden is a liar. It was from some long term study, that was actually in proper newspapers.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/08/new-b...ears-10706341/
James Madden is an idiot to the weather community. He hit on a poor summer once while doing his a levels and got a website together. He is wrong almost every season.
(Original post by Zed03)
That is again not backed up by statistics. There is almost no link between the summer CET and the following winter albeit there is a link between cold winters being followed by poor summers.
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be fair, winter started on 22nd December 2019 and ends on the 18th March 2020.

It's still very early days.
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This is not correct.

As somebody who has been a member of Netweather for more than a decade I can tell you that the Met Office and ECWMF seasonal (pretty much the only statistically respectable seasonal models) were both gunning for a pretty poor winter.

Forecasts of a cold winter sold to papers are just from odd folk who wishcast and should never be believed. We had a run of northern blocking in November which got people excited but that gave way to a strong polar vortex pretty quickly.

James Madden is an idiot to the weather community. He hit on a poor summer once while doing his a levels and got a website together. He is wrong almost every season.

That is again not backed up by statistics. There is almost no link between the summer CET and the following winter albeit there is a link between cold winters being followed by poor summers.
I had a feeling it was a myth, interesting
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
Link to soemthing relevant so we know what you are referring to.
Winters have for the most part been getting milder for decades as temperatures increase.
S Hardly ever gets any snow these days.
Colder in North, but even there winters a lot less severe.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
This is not correct.

OK take your word for it. Asked the OP to back it up.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
It is early days but in theory this winter should be cold, because October was cold and November was actually very cold. I mean in the south, we had days of around 6-8C, so the same temps we are basically getting now, lots of frost too, and the BBC and Weather Channel had even forecast some snow. December was not as cold and got milder to the end. Accuweather claiming cold spell on the 24th 25th, snow in parts of the south and temps at around 4C with a low of -2c.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
This is not correct.

So by that standard, Summer 2018 should have been much like August 2019, wet, much colder than average
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Link to soemthing relevant so we know what you are referring to.
Winters have for the most part been getting milder for decades as temperatures increase.
S Hardly ever gets any snow these days.
Colder in North, but even there winters a lot less severe.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9096601.html
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you actually read that link? It does not say anything about this winter being the coldest in 60 years at all. It says it might be among the seven coldest in thirty years, which is nothing to write home about, just being among the coldest 25% or so in that period. Or, if you prefer a longer period, among the 23 coldest since 1953 - among the coldest third. Not really all that cold at all.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Did you actually read that link? It does not say anything about this winter being the coldest in 60 years at all. It says it might be among the seven coldest in thirty years, which is nothing to write home about, just being among the coldest 25% or so in that period. Or, if you prefer a longer period, among the 23 coldest since 1953 - among the coldest third. Not really all that cold at all.
Some were claiming coldest in 60 years, other in 30 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (81)
13.8%
1 (79)
13.46%
2 (74)
12.61%
19.59%
21.81%
18.74%

Watched Threads