Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well my life is pretty crappy at the moment and was just wondering, those who had a poo life before, how has uni changed you? is your life the same? better? worse? and why? and just everyone and those who had a really good life back at home, whats your uni experience been like? what kind of people have you met at uni? the same type of people that are like your friends back home? how have you changed as a person? tell me everything curious lol

ReputationRep:
    Well I wouldn't say I was unhappy before uni, but life wasn't that great - I had friends etc, but I wasn't ever one of the 'popular' crowd that I always secretly wanted to be - I never really had that many lads interested in me etc.
    At uni however, life is AMAZING, I've made loads of lovely friends, who I have a lot in common with (far more so than with most of my friends from school) met a nice guy who I'm going out with, and generally just found it much easier to fit in than I ever could have imagined!
    I think it's a really good chance to make a fresh start, you can go in being all confident and friendly and meet loads of new people. It's definately made me a lot happier, and as such, more confident.

(Original post by Faint_x)
    Well my life is pretty crappy at the moment and was just wondering, those who had a poo life before, how has uni changed you? is your life the same? better? worse? and why? and just everyone and those who had a really good life back at home, whats your uni experience been like? what kind of people have you met at uni? the same type of people that are like your friends back home? how have you changed as a person? tell me everything curious lol
    - I wouldn't say my personality has changed, but I've definitely changed as a person. It's a bit hard to put your finger on it; you can really only explain it once you've been through it! I guess it's probably just being a more mature, rounded individual - some cliche poo like that
    - My life is better, because now I have a degree, woo! I also did meet some nice people at uni, but nothing really life-changing happened sadly

- Unfortunately whilst I was at uni., things happened (people changed, situations developed etc) that made me fall out with most of the few people from back home who I would have classed myself as being 'close' to. This isn't really something I'm upset about, because I'm someone who looks at these things as revealing 'true' friends, rather than losing people.

- People I met at uni (after the first year) were definitely people I got on better with than those from back home; remember, you have more to choose from! However, I'd still say that my best (and now only *fake tear*) friend from back home tops the list.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's Uni so much that changes you, its the responsibility and the realisation you're an adult and get to control your own life.

.....not there yet though so it's just speculation though I have changed since I left home.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think I've changed hugely, but it's definitely made me more assertive and given me more confidence. I'm more at ease at uni than I was at school, though at the same time, I'm quieter at uni because it sucks all my energy out My friends at uni are very different to my schoolmates, because it's a completely different environment.

ReputationRep:
    Things will certainly get better. Use freshers to your advantage... dont lock yourself in your room, everyone is in the same situation and want to meet other people! Although it's quite daunting, you can really re-invent yourself...these people will have no preconceptions about you, they will take you at face value...

Just make sure you make the right decisions and don't be roped into thing's that you will regret. It's a great oppertunity for you, I feel like I have changed comprehensivley since I started last year. Join a society. There are so many thing's you can get involved with.

Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Things will certainly get better. Use freshers to your advantage... dont lock yourself in your room, everyone is in the same situation and want to meet other people! Although it's quite daunting, you can really re-invent yourself...these people will have no preconceptions about you, they will take you at face value...

Just make sure you make the right decisions and don't be roped into thing's that you will regret. It's a great oppertunity for you, I feel like I have changed comprehensivley since I started last year. Join a society. There are so many thing's you can get involved with.

Good luck! x
    .......................I think going to uni after btec robert could be likened to your mind being forced into a teeny box, and then letting it roam free into infinity.

...........I feel you've changed too, although the bits that made you rob are still there, you've become soooooooo much happier.

I wanna be happy in uni too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reilly)
    .......................I think going to uni after btec robert could be likened to your mind being forced into a teeny box, and then letting it roam free into infinity.

...........I feel you've changed too, although the bits that made you rob are still there, you've become soooooooo much happier.

I wanna be happy in uni too

Indeed I am now as free as a bird,

Not having to deal with that pretentious crap at Gorseinon has made me instantly happier.

You'l be happy at Uni. Trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faint_x)
    Life at uni's different, not necessarily better or worse.

+The freedom is great
    +Sports at uni are great
    +Not being with stressy family is great

-Friends aren't as good. People at my uni all come from different backgrounds, they're all different ages and many of them just want to be popular.
    -I miss teachers and such a close knit school
    -Drifted from schoolfriends.

Life before uni was much harder in that I did much more work and never really had time to myself, but at least I had lots of people I knew I was really close to, who'd been there for years. At uni, even if you're pretty close to someone, you can never really know them as well if you're only at uni 3-5 years. And this year I only lived with 2 other people who were really wrapped up in the bf's so I was often in the way and eating all my meals alone which isnt fun.

ReputationRep:
    My life changed at Uni, for very different reasons

I went to Uni for a way to get out of home, well my hometown.. it wasnt a good time in life, anyway i just went to uni for the sake of it not really knowing what to do in life.. So i just went on a computing course, however Uni does make you as a person, Ive met alot of great people and people who have helped me in the right direction.. realised that going to uni with no real career thoughts is a bad idea, well i know where i want to be in 5-10years time now so changed courses and everything is good.

Just a warning to you all It doesnt matter if you dont know where you want to be in and choosing the wrong course is the same as knowing what you want to do in a funny way, because doing the wrong thing lets you know where you want to be

lol something like that anyway

ReputationRep:
    Indeed I am now as free as a bird,

Not having to deal with that pretentious crap at Gorseinon has made me instantly happier.

You'l be happy at Uni. Trust.
    I went there too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozeesh)
    I went there too :p:
    WOOP WOOP! You deserve a rep!

ReputationRep:
    WOOP WOOP! You deserve a rep!
    Right back at ya

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully my life will change when i get there cause I took a gap year for it and if its not what I hoped I will become depressed for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Life definitely changed for the worse for me at uni. University was my lowest ebb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    Life definitely changed for the worse for me at uni. University was my lowest ebb
    Not to sound nosy (), but how?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trm90)
    Not to sound nosy (), but how?
    I turned into a hermit/ret ard/recluse/anti-social and paranoid. I have yet to come out of my shell. And I haven't grown-up as one would at university. Hence why I'm very bitter. I also have symptoms which are synonymous with depression. Definitely regret my whole uni experience. Have only made one friend from uni.

ReputationRep:
    University was probably one of the best years of my life...I never quite fitted in properly at home. I had friends in school and then college, not like I was ever sat on my own all the time and no one liked me, but that was it. They were just friends when I was in school/college - I barely saw any of them outside of it, except for the odd party which doesnt count as much cos loads of people are invited. I literally have about 2 friends from before uni that Im actually close to now and thats it.

At uni I made friends. I stopped being as shy, cos well you have to be...and I finally stopped caring about what other people think of me. Maybe thats easier cos theres loads of people at uni and I realised that no ones gonna give a f what Im doing so why should I care about what people I dont know or like think of me. My friends at uni are different to what people are like where I grew up...in a good way that is. I dont feel like I have to agree with things to try and fit in.

I worked pretty hard this year...getting good marks in my exams and essays was cos of me and the effort I put in (you really do get less help and do not get spoon fed work like at school/college), and not just cos I can remember facts and then spit them out again in exams. & its nice being independent - not having to tell my parents what im doing and when Ill be in all the time. & I now have a boyfriend for the first time...I wouldnt have met him otherwise except for uni. And its really nice having someone that makes me happy.

Ah thats a long post but you did ask...I was considering not going to uni cos of the debt but decided not to care about it. Good decision probably...who cares if I have no money, Im happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yhal)
    University was probably one of the best years of my life...I never quite fitted in properly at home. I had friends in school and then college, not like I was ever sat on my own all the time and no one liked me, but that was it. They were just friends when I was in school/college - I barely saw any of them outside of it, except for the odd party which doesnt count as much cos loads of people are invited. I literally have about 2 friends from before uni that Im actually close to now and thats it.

At uni I made friends. I stopped being as shy, cos well you have to be...and I finally stopped caring about what other people think of me. Maybe thats easier cos theres loads of people at uni and I realised that no ones gonna give a f what Im doing so why should I care about what people I dont know or like think of me. My friends at uni are different to what people are like where I grew up...in a good way that is. I dont feel like I have to agree with things to try and fit in.

I worked pretty hard this year...getting good marks in my exams and essays was cos of me and the effort I put in (you really do get less help and do not get spoon fed work like at school/college), and not just cos I can remember facts and then spit them out again in exams. & its nice being independent - not having to tell my parents what im doing and when Ill be in all the time. & I now have a boyfriend for the first time...I wouldnt have met him otherwise except for uni. And its really nice having someone that makes me happy.

Ah thats a long post but you did ask...I was considering not going to uni cos of the debt but decided not to care about it. Good decision probably...who cares if I have no money, Im happy.
    thanks! you sound exactly like me lol!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.