Can someone delete this thread please? Thank you so much

Watch this thread
username1156558
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
^

Any chance?
Last edited by username1156558; 2 years ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Are you talking about the QTS element or the actual PGCE part? I wouldn't worry about the actual PGCE bit if you get QTS.

For the QTS part, I believe it might partly depend on why you had failed. It is actually quite rare for unis to fail to recommend someone for QTS- usually they will offer them the chance to retake a placement, maybe at another school. If you were failed entirely and not offered the chance to retake, then usually the uni would have quite serious concerns about you, and it would often be difficult to find another provider to retake with.

If the uni have very serious concerns about your conduct, you could be struck off from the teaching register, and therefore banned from teaching forever or for a certain period of time.
username1156558
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Are you talking about the QTS element or the actual PGCE part? I wouldn't worry about the actual PGCE bit if you get QTS.

For the QTS part, I believe it might partly depend on why you had failed. It is actually quite rare for unis to fail to recommend someone for QTS- usually they will offer them the chance to retake a placement, maybe at another school. If you were failed entirely and not offered the chance to retake, then usually the uni would have quite serious concerns about you, and it would often be difficult to find another provider to retake with.

If the uni have very serious concerns about your conduct, you could be struck off from the teaching register, and therefore banned from teaching forever or for a certain period of time.
Both QTs and pgce
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BewareTomato)
Both QTs and pgce
Is it likely you will actually fail the QTS? Just being put on a support plan/special measures/whatever your uni call it, doesn't mean you are actually likely to fail. However, if you've been told this is likely, I would talk through your options with the uni. It might be better to drop out now, and come back in a few years, or to take a leave of absence, rather than fail now and be stuck in a difficult situation.

Do you think dropping the PGCE element to give yourself more time would help?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I know my mentor from my host school won’t make my life easy when I go back. I’ve wanted to be a teacher for a long time but I never assumed teachers are this unkind to one another.

I have been given a support plan but this placement is very helpful. It’s my host when I go back in 5 weeks time.

I’ve heard of teachers getting to their final observations and failing. So it’s something I need to consider
That sounds really tough- an unsupportive mentor can make your life really hard. From saying host school I am guessing you are doing Schools Direct? If so, it might be worth considering all your options, including dropping out and doing a PGCE instead where there is more possibility of changing placements if something goes really wrong with your mentor or other teachers on placement.

You should never be failed based on just one observation, and honestly it's not that easy to fail a student teacher during ITT- every failure has to be justified now as there is such a shortage of teachers.

I understand if you don't want to talk about them, but what issues are you having in your host school?
username1156558
Rep:
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
That sounds really tough- an unsupportive mentor can make your life really hard. From saying host school I am guessing you are doing Schools Direct? If so, it might be worth considering all your options, including dropping out and doing a PGCE instead where there is more possibility of changing placements if something goes really wrong with your mentor or other teachers on placement.

You should never be failed based on just one observation, and honestly it's not that easy to fail a student teacher during ITT- every failure has to be justified now as there is such a shortage of teachers.

I understand if you don't want to talk about them, but what issues are you having in your host school?
My host school mentor didn’t give me any reasonable adjustments. I had a meeting and was told my support is fine to put into place but equally I shouldn’t use my disability as a excuse.

I had asked many times for adjustments and was told no, perhaps I should have said that but I was too taken aback.

My host mentor implied the adjustments were already in place.

I’m worried about going back in 5 weeks. I was told yes but petty things get picked up on as that’s how my mentor has been so far Petty and patronising.

Yes schools direct
Last edited by username1156558; 2 years ago
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
My host school mentor didn’t give me any reasonable adjustments. I had a meeting and was told my support is fine to put into place but equally I shouldn’t use my disability as a excuse.

I had asked many times for adjustments and was told no, perhaps I should have said that but I was too taken aback.

My host mentor implied the adjustments were already in place.

I’m worried about going back in 5 weeks. I was told yes but petty things get picked up on as that’s how my mentor has been so far Petty and patronising.

Yes schools direct
That sounds really, really tough.

It's really tricky, because if you were on a PGCE I would advise you to go to your uni, and if the uni agreed a school wasn't putting reasonable adjustments in place, you'd be moved to a different placement.

With Schools Direct, there's less chance of it being possible for this to happen, and I think it's likely ultimately the MAT/Teaching federation will protect their schools over you.

Who did you meet with about your support plan? Can you evidence to them your adjustments not being in place? Who ultimately awards your PGCE/QTS?

I think you have two possible choices:

1) Keep fighting at your host school for all the support you need to be put in place. Hopefully, if you can prove reasonable adjustments are not in place, they will eventually be sorted. However, this may annoy people in your host school and without the support of your department, you will unfortunately struggle to pass the PGCE.

2) Drop out and apply to other ITT providers. This sounds a lot like giving up, I know, and it might not be the "right" thing to have to do, but if you ended up in a place that offered you more support and two supportive placements, you'd have a much stronger chance of passing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (92)
19.96%
The paper was reasonable (176)
38.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.81%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
16.05%

Watched Threads