The Student Room Group

Stop believing in all the “signs”.

So you meet this person you fancy. You get to talk to them, and things are going great, but you’re just not sure if they like you back, so you use Google and/or YouTube to help you figure it out.

I’ve done it, and I’m sure lots of you have, it just isn’t worth it.

Most of it is bull****.

On one hand, I’ve had girls show every single sign on these lists and it turned out they weren’t interested in that way.

And on the other hand, I’ve had women act like they don’t, but turns out they really did:

One example of this was when I was working behind a bar.

A female colleague of mine, from the day I started work, ignored me, bossed me around, made fun of me, and demeaned me.

This went on for 3 months until she started treating me with some respect, striking up conversations, and genuinely wanted to get to know me.

I thought “Great, working with her might not be too bad after all”.

On my last day at work she even tagged along to this other bar with me and some other colleagues, and we left together.

I was completely dumbfounded.

We went on a few dates after that, but ultimately it didn’t lead to anything else because I left the country.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So you meet this person you fancy. You get to talk to them, and things are going great, but you’re just not sure if they like you back, so you use Google and/or YouTube to help you figure it out.

I’ve done it, and I’m sure lots of you have, it just isn’t worth it.

Most of it is bull****.

On one hand, I’ve had girls show every single sign on these lists and it turned out they weren’t interested in that way.

And on the other hand, I’ve had women act like they don’t, but turns out they really did:

One example of this was when I was working behind a bar.

A female colleague of mine, from the day I started work, ignored me, bossed me around, made fun of me, and demeaned me.

This went on for 3 months until she started treating me with some respect, striking up conversations, and genuinely wanted to get to know me.

I thought “Great, working with her might not be too bad after all”.

On my last day at work she even tagged along to this other bar with me and some other colleagues, and we left together.

I was completely dumbfounded.

We went on a few dates after that, but ultimately it didn’t lead to anything else because I left the country.

wow, straight people's relationships sure are complicated. if you like each other, you should just ****, it works for me (:
Reply 2
Original post by Ciel.
wow, straight people's relationships sure are complicated. if you like each other, you should just ****, it works for me (:

This isn’t exclusive to straight relationships.
Reply 3
This isn’t exclusive to straight relationships.

hmm, can't relate. i always know if a guy wants me.
Original post by Ciel.
hmm, can't relate. i always know if a guy wants me.

that's just you though, why are you making this about straight/gay?
Original post by Ciel.

No idea what makes this exclusively straight. I'm sure plenty of questioning folk have done the same towards those of the same sex.

No, hun.

They're making it about themselves. I'd ignore their response if I were you.
screaminggg, googling ‘signs she/he likes me’ in itself is def a straight thing
Reply 8

you only mention women in your initial post.
Original post by aventine
No idea what makes this exclusively straight. I'm sure plenty of questioning folk have done the same towards those of the same sex.

see above. anyway, i often threads on straight guys overthinking every single interaction they have with a woman, it's ridiculous
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
you only mention women in your initial post.

see above. anyway, i often threads on straight guys overthinking every single interaction they have with a woman, it's ridiculous

First of all, you’re quoting another Anon. Second, in my OP I was referring to a person you fancy in general, a woman or a man, whether you’re gay, straight, bisexual, etc...

Third, I brought examples in my life with women, because I’m straight.

Pretty sure that gay people overthink too.
When i was in love with someone at school I used to think he was giving me 'signs'.

Eventually I was massively rejected and he only saw me as a friend :lol:

I've never asked anyone else out since. If someone likes me then they can tell me themselves. I'm not going to humiliate myself again.
Original post by aventine
No, hun.

They're making it about themselves. I'd ignore their response if I were you.

This.
Original post by AHardDaysNight
When i was in love with someone at school I used to think he was giving me 'signs'.

Eventually I was massively rejected and he only saw me as a friend :lol:

I've never asked anyone else out since. If someone likes me then they can tell me themselves. I'm not going to humiliate myself again.

Now you understand what most men go through in dating.

There’s only been one occasion in my life a girl has made the first move on me. That’s in 10 years of being on the dating scene.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been rejected AND the times I’ve missed dating opportunities because of being clueless.
Now you understand what most men go through in dating.

There’s only been one occasion in my life a girl has made the first move on me. That’s in 10 years of being on the dating scene.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been rejected AND the times I’ve missed dating opportunities because of being clueless.

it's what everyone goes through darling. rejection isn't exclusive to men.
it's what everyone goes through darling. rejection isn't exclusive to men.

Not what I’m saying.

Rejection amongst men far exceeds that amongst women.
Not what I’m saying.

Rejection amongst men far exceeds that amongst women.

isn't it though? 'now you understand what men go through' implies you think men have some sort of monopoly on feeling rejected and humiliated.
it's not a competition. i gave my experience. plenty of other women have had the same. men by comparison are very shallow and care more about looks, meaning that women who are average or below have very little chance of dating someone they're attracted to.
(edited 4 years ago)
isn't it though? 'now you understand what men go through' implies you think men have some sort of monopoly on feeling rejected and humiliated.
it's not a competition. i gave my experience. plenty of other women have had the same. men by comparison are very shallow and care more about looks, meaning that women who are average are below have very little chance of dating someone they're attracted to.

I’m not talking about experience though?

now you’re just projecting.
I’m not talking about experience though?

now you’re just projecting.

umm...then what are you talking about? how unfair the world is to men? :rolleyes: are you not talking about your experiences with women in the op or have I completely misread the thread?
it was an observation that's generally true. men care about women being slim, having a big bum and large boobs, large eyes, blonde hair, etc. they generally don't care about what's in their mind.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
First of all, you’re quoting another Anon. Second, in my OP I was referring to a person you fancy in general, a woman or a man, whether you’re gay, straight, bisexual, etc...

Third, I brought examples in my life with women, because I’m straight.

Pretty sure that gay people overthink too.

you're taking my comment far too seriously.
Original post by Ciel.
you're taking my comment far too seriously.

If you’re not being serious, sling your hook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending